Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:42 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Total Warfare or Tech Manual, I think, have TAG listed as equipment on the Inner Sphere weapons and equipment table. But according to Interstellar Operations page 111 of that LAM Bomb Bay Table, it says:

"TAG Provides TAG weapon to unit" and that table also says
"Laser Guided 10-point TAG-guidable air-to-ground bomb"

Since TAG is therefore an energy laser weapon, it is or should be automatically targeting computer compatible, and therefore I can equip a LAM (or other unit) with TAG and have that TAG be targeting computer compatible. Thus if TAG is being aimed via targeting computer at a location, then all of the laser-guided bombs, semiguided LRMs, and artillery homing missiles that are homing in on that targeted location of TAG will vector to that location. And since according to Total Warfare, that all damage during the Weapon Attack Phase is simultaneous, a single AMS or Laser AMS shot to one of those semiguided LRMs homing in on a unit being TAGged of which said unit like say an OmniMech is using that AMS or Laser AMS shot should destroy all semiguided LRMs & laser-guided bombs & artillery homing missiles simultaoneusly because of them exploding because of that semiguided missile exploding them after it explodes from that AMS or Laser AMS shot because a location usually is a small area and an OmniMech could protect itself that way from those simultaneous attacks.

Any rules ideas that I post for BT aren't official unless an up to date BT rulesbook declares otherwise. You might have to wait at least a fortnight for me to reply because I'm usually very active. I won't discuss real life politics or religion on any of these forum(s), but my favorite color is yellow like my skin color (hint).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:49 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Per page 143 Total Warfare, Targeting Computers work with weapons classified "DB" or "DE" (direct ballistic / direct energy) in the Total Warfare/Tactical Operations weapons tables. TAG is simply tagged (har har) on p. 303 with "E" for "Electronics" (per the weapon table key on p. 304).

TAG is therefore not compatible with a Targeting Computer.

"Woo, that was bracing! They don't like it when you shoot at them. I worked that out myself." --Mal, Firefly

"Going bonkers from EI or DNI is pushing it. I mean how many Crusaders or Super Wobbies are sane to begin with...." --RockJock01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:14 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

TAG is essentially a fancy laser pointer. I wish it worked with TC's, since it would make sense that way, but sense has never applied to CBT rules very well. It is what it is, as they say. House rule it at your own table, but don't expect the book jockeys to agree with you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:35 am 
Loki
Loki

expect them to be appropriately shocked and horrified that you are obviously twisting the rules to your advantage and call for you to be expelled from the game for daring to think like a rational human being.

;)

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:52 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Hey Cray, can an Inner Sphere TAG or Inner Sphere Light TAG be mounted in a 360 degree turret on a mast mount that's on top of a VTOL's rotor(s)? And said mast mount should only need to mast 0.25 tons or perhaps 0.15 tons instead of 0.5 tons.

Well actually Medron Pryde, I've been gamemastering some BT games, so I don't think my gaming group is going to be upset if I let my gaming group use that combo.

Any rules ideas that I post for BT aren't official unless an up to date BT rulesbook declares otherwise. You might have to wait at least a fortnight for me to reply because I'm usually very active. I won't discuss real life politics or religion on any of these forum(s), but my favorite color is yellow like my skin color (hint).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:47 pm 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

Again, you'd have to house rule it. Realistically, TAG could be used in a mast mount; we already do similar things in real life. But the rules as written don't support it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:35 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Theoretically curious: could multiple TAGs or multiple Light TAGs simultaneously combine their beacons to have them become a brighter targeting beacon for LGBs to more easily go towards said targeting beacon? Like have 3 TAGs provide a -6 to-hit modifier for LGBs instead of -2 or perhaps have 8 Light TAGs provide a -8 to-hit modifier instead of -2 (I chose -8 instead of -16 because a Light TAG is smaller than a normal standard TAG)?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:06 pm 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

Nope. The sensor can either pick up the signal and follow it, or not. A brighter signal will not increase the detectability.
the oposit is true: several tags that are not exactly focused on the same spot will confuse the sensor, as it would not know which one to focus upon.
with a little bit of bad luck the sensor will focus on the one spot that is not on target.
To avoid being decepted the sensor is usually programmed to ignore spots of light that are brighter than expected. The one spot that is of target would be in the expected brightness and be focused upon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:57 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Cray, Shades of Grey, Medron Pryde, and cobayashimaru, I appreciate your prompt responses, and I thank you four so much for them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:42 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

i wonder if one or more TAG beams, that hit a 'Mech's head, and roll for critical hits, but don't apply any damage to 'Mech's armor or internal structure, and if sensors critical slot is hit, then TAG beam(s) could impair its infrared & magscan & optical sensors & visual sighting like +2 to-hit modifier per TAG beam (or +1 to-hit modifier per Light TAG beam) that "hit" sensors critical slot, and that or those to-hit modifiers would only affect attack(s) that 'Mech or other unit makes through hexside that or those TAG or Light TAG beam(s) come through, but since all attacks including TAG and Light TAG are simultaneous, then those attack(s) would have to wait until next turn for TAG and Light TAG beam(s)' attack(s) attack(s) (attack(s) still occurring in next turn) to take effect? :-?

also, do any of you play tag games using unit(s) each equipped with one or more TAG(s) or Light TAG(s) in BT games? wow, tag games in BT games, what a concept! :D 8) :lol:

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]