Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:03 am 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

Contrary to the Battletech Timeline i believe that Battlemech development should start with small, light mechs.
NOTE: it is a wanted effect that the definitions change so that what is a heavy infantry mech in one period could become a medium infantry mech in the next period(or similar changes). this reflects the realistic change in relative weights over time.

1At the first Level of development i think manufacturers would be able to build 20ton chassis, 100 point engines, medium and light chemical lasers, machineguns and light autocannons(up to level 2)as well as rocketlaunchers.

the roles of mechs would be:
-cavalry mech(5/8 movement)
-infantry mech (4/6)
-Fire support mech(3/5)

2The second level would raise the chassis-weight to 25 tons and engine strength to 125 points. LRMs would be introduced as well as light lasers and heavy chemlasers.

-light cavalry (20t 6/9)
-cavalry (20t 5/8)
-heavy cavalry(25t 5/8)
-Infantry (20t 4/6)
-heavy Infantry(25t 4/6)
-fire support (20t 3/5)
-heavy fire support (25t 3/5)

3 at the third level 30ton chassis would be introduced, as well as 150 point engines. Medium lasers and light PPCs will become available as well as SRMs

-light cavalry (6/9 or faster)
-cavalry( 5/8 at 20 tons)
-heavy cavalry(25-30tons 5/8)
-light infantry (20t 4/6)
-medium infantry (25t 4/6)
-heavy infantry (30t 4/6)
-assault(30t 3/5, heavy armor)
-fire support (any lightly armed mech with 3/5)

4 fourth level gets us to 40 ton mechs and 200 point engines, PPCs and heavy lasers become available as well as jumpjets.

the roles would mainly be:
-light cavalry(6/9 or faster, up to 30 tons)
-cavalry (5/8 at up to 30 tons)
-heavy cavalry(5/8 or faster at more than 30 tons)
-light infantry (20 or 25 tons at 4/6)
-medium infantry (30 tons at 4/6)
-heavy infantry (40tons at 4/6)
-assault( 35-40 tons at 3/5 and heavy armor)
-fire support(any mech at 3/5 that is not an assault)

5 fifth level goes to 50 tons and 250 point engines

the roles would mainly be:
-light cavalry(6/9 or faster, up to 30 tons)
-cavalry (5/8 at up to 30 tons)
-heavy cavalry(5/8 or faster at more than 30 tons)
-light infantry (20 or 25 tons at 4/6)
-medium infantry (30 tons at 4/6)
-heavy infantry (40tons at 4/6)
-assault(35 or more at a speed of 3/5)
-Fire support(any mech at 3/5 or slower that is not an assault)

6 6th level would go up to 60 tons and 300 point engines

the roles would be:
cavalry and infantry mechs would be same as 5th level, only with a weight limit at 40 tons, this roles would also be known as "light mechs"
Note: mechs that are slower than 4/6 are not considered light in this definition.
at this point of time anything heavier than 40 tons would be considered a heavy mech.
the class of assault mech is defined at this time as a heavy mech that is heavyly armed and used in an assault role.assault mechs are never slower than 3/5
fire support mechs are defined as any mech that is slower than 4/6 and not an assault mech.

7 7th level would go up to 70 tons and 350 point engines.

the roles are:
cavalry and infantry roles would stay the same as in level 5 and 6.
mechs heavier than 40 tons but lighter than 60 tons are now defined as medium mechs. a medium is never slower than 4/6. Medium mechs are also considered allround mechs.
mechs of 60 or more tons are now defined as heavy mechs.
the definition of an assault mech stays the same, but as the definition of heavy mech has changed they also become heavier.
the definition of fire support mech stays unchanged
the definitions stay the same from here on, i do not define assault mechs by weight, but by a combination of weight and role.

8 8th level would introduce 80 ton mechs and 400 point engines
9 9th level would introduce 90 ton mechs and 200 point XL engines
10 10th level would introduce 100 ton mechs and 300 point XL engines
1111th level would introduce 400 point XL engines.

im undecided on when wich technology is introduced, as long as i did not mention them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:17 pm 
Loki
Loki

I like that general idea. :)

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:11 pm 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

i have posted a few examples of first and second Phase mechs in mech section.

i think the whole think has to be more detailed, for example im asking myself when DHS would be introduced and a few other toys.

then i think that not all houses might have been fielding the phases in the same time.
i also think that in some cases some houses might have had acces to certain toys at an earlier or later Phase than others
last i believe that early models of an item (that is in their first Phase of introduction) might have been less effective than normal, and later(say 5 phases later) would have become more effective(this is hindering gameplay and might not be a good idea to introduce)

all of this would also make the differences between clan/SL/IS items obsolete. the Clans would just have Access to more sofisticated toys, wich are in later phases.
and a party might use different phases for weapons/Chassis/engines etc.

finally i think it could happen that lostech will bring some Partys back down a few phases, but not in the same way for all sorts of items, and some higher Level items might still be produced in automated factorys.

the idea of using mechs alike to the ancient tactics of infantry/cavallery/artillery might change overall tactics a bit, but in general the use of light /medium/heavy mechs might appear rather similar, only that the lack of ability to build heavier units would keep some light chassis in production for much longer, enlarging their numbers drastically, while the time of production of heavier units would be lowered, so that light units would form the main body of the armies makeing heavies a Special use item.

when a light (20/25t) chassis is produced over centurys it is of course outfittet with weapons and other items that become available, but thousands of 20t infantry mech-chassis would exist in dozens of variants.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:03 pm 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

another question is weight over time.

that is: a Standard medium laser weighs 1000 Kg.
i think it would first be introduced as a relatively crude, almost prototypical design weighing 2000 Kg.
next step it would weigh 1500, then 1250 then 1000 Kg

after some time of ist production a 900 Kg Version might be available, then maybe a 750Kg and at last a 500 Kg Version.

this comlicates the rules, no question about that, but as always: there is a conflict between realism and playability. some like it Ultra-real, others want a beer and pretzels game that is easy to Play and most ppl want a compromise. In this Question there is hardly any Black or White, just shades of Grey.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:04 am 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

After a lot af thinking i now think that the first Level would start with 10 ton mechs.

the chassis of a ten ton mech would weigh 1.5 tons, a medium laser would weigh 2 tons and a 20 point engine would weigh 500 Kg. the Cockpit would weigh 3 tons but would have the disadvantages of a compact Cockpit.
this gives us a mech that moves 2/3 with one medium laser and two tons of armor, rather useless to traditional battletch standards, but at that point nothing better would be available

in the second step there would be 15 ton chassis that weigh 2 tons, and medium lasers would go down to 1.5 tons, also 30 point engines would become available.
a ten ton chassis would now weigh 1.25 tons. the compact cockpit would shrink to 2.5 tons and a normal Cockpit would become available at 4 tons
this would give us 10 ton mechs that move 3/5 and 15 ton mechs that move 2/3.

i believe that at this point the first generation chassis would be handed down to training units and be used for tasks like riot control(with different weapons of course)

the idea is that all equipment and components would start at a prototypical stage with increased weight and lower performance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:21 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

Makes sense

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:30 pm 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

of Course the bookkeeping of a ****-ton of versions might make sense in a Computer(supported) game, for a boardgame this would be unplayable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:32 pm 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

an afterthought:
a ten ton mech with just a medium laser and a movement of 2/3 would be rather useless on a Battlefield wich has tanks.

the same mech would be rather usefull however in other roles, like tank maintenance, logistics, guarding the camp, crowd Control(with another pack of weapons)
and Rescue work(with a hydraulic cutter/spreader) also the weapons could be replaced with firefighting Equipment.

i think the first Generations of mechs would be used in supporting roles untill the first mechs appear that are heavy enough to make sense on the Battlefield.
later the light mechs would be used as trainers for the heavier mechs.
some might be refitted with stronger engines to serve as scouts.

i think a heavy tank company might have a lance of ten tonners for support. there might be more than one pilot for each mech, as the mechs could be used to repair the tanks in the day and to guard the camp in the night.