Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:03 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

So here is the question, what happen to families like the British Royal Family and remaining nobility of Europe and certain parts of Asia and the Middle East once Earth was united and expanded into space in the BT universe?

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:33 pm 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

some of the noble families are relatively wealthy, they would probably stay wealthy and be Investors on some far planet.

The other interesting development is that the feudal system is installed on many planets in the inner sphere.

when this two Facts are combined i would think that some of the wealthy nobles would become nobles of the new feudal System, both because they would be able to aford to take part, and because the members of the old nobility might be seen as ideal candidates by some.

another oportunity is that possibly the leaders of the successor state might want to legitimate their position by marrying members of the old families: "look the kurita throne is in direct succession of the throne of Japan, in the veins of our rulers the blood of not only the kurita samurai-family flows, but also that of goddess amaterasu herself, and that of the imperial family."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:17 am 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

I do believe one of the books mentions a minor ancient british terran nobel family that may be descended from the current British Royal family.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:16 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

Novel or Sourcebook? Or those pay to read to keep current BattleCorps fiction crap?

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:38 am 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

I can't remember I think it may have been some fluff in one of the sourcebooks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:42 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

Some of today's real noble lines may have survived and expanded out into space with humanity; whether or not they are still actually nobles in the CBT present is basically a matter of author fiat. The realistic probability over the course of the 1000+ years to the CBT present, is that most of the old Terran noble lines have probably descended and/or become extinct, much like they do in real history. Meanwhile, some current CBT nobles probably have been creative with their "lineage" trying to claim ancestral connection back to that old Terran nobility to justify their station...again, much like real history. I'm willing to bet that many House nobles during the early Succession Wars claimed some vague Cameron connection to justify themselves as the rightful First Lord...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:05 pm 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

makes sense.
as a comparison you can see Germany.
we have thrown out all noble privileges 1919.
when someone was prince whatnot before he still could name himself prince whatnot, but "prince" is not a title anymore.
instead "prince" or any other pseudo-title is an "Addition to the Name" that has no legal meaning whatsoever.
now look at the "german Nobility". they still live as if they are something special, not that they have any privileges left, but they prefer to marry other "nobles" and mainly have social contact to other "nobles".what has been a way of governing a state is now simply tradition. a tradition that has survived almost a hundred years mostly unchanged. still some "common people" are willing to pay a lot of money to be adopted by a "noble" so they could use a "noble" name and "title".
the missbehaviour of "prince" Hannover is still interesting enough for the newspapers to talk about.(also he is really a prince of england and ireland, wich is meaningless in germany).
the german nobles are still seen as something special by the journals wich indicates that the general population also sees something special in them.
one hundred years is not much, but as long as the tradition is upheld by some i dare say it will survive. i personally believe that is a good thing, as the "nobles" that live the tradition are motivated to a generally better conduct(as long as they honor the tradition, negative example above). a "noble" that has a better conduct is not a better person because he is a "noble" but because of the better conduct that was motivated by it, anybody that follows the tradition would have the same effect .to make it absolutely clear: it is NOT the "blue blood" that makes them better people, nor is this effect automatic, it needs the will to be a better person wich is just inspired by the Illusion to be of better heritage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:05 am 
Loki
Loki

I remember hearing from one of the writers that there is a hereditary Governor "Cameron-Windsor" or "Windsor-Cameron" of the British Isles that still commands there in whatever current era the book in question was written in.

:)

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:11 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

The Star League invented a whole new set of nobility, although the Houses were independent empires with their own nobles, totally unrelated to Terra.

Earth's nobility would be like dinosaurs due to the fact that nobles exist at the whim of a sovereign and how many of Terra's nations would still have ruling sovereigns? Maybe Japan and some Middle Eastern nations.

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:11 am 
Stratego
Stratego

England would most likely still have one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:18 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Maybe but some would say we have already started on the slope to a republic we have removed the heredity peers from the house of lords leaving just the life peers which normally get appointed en mass when a new government gets elected so they can get a majority in the Lords even if they don't have one in the commons.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:40 pm 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

they should be appointed by merrit only.
Thats when a house of lords makes real sense, as a parliament of experts and the experienced.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:23 am 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Quite a few are former MPs who have have either stood down from the commons or lost their seat, but their are ones with little or no political experience like Alan Sugar and Floella Benjamin( She used to present pre-school kids programs when I was a kid).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:26 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Terra's nobility is discussed in JHS:Terra in the "Touring Terra" mini-sourcebook in the back. Most Terran district governors in ComStar's Bureau of Terran Affairs were elected, but a few were hereditary based on old royalty.

A cadet branch of the Camerons, not fit to claim the title of Star League First Lord, were the Windsor-Camerons. They were hereditary governors of the British district. One Windsor-Cameron stepped up to be the head of planetary parliament that the Word of Blake installed on Terra. ComStar had never given Terra a representative government from 2790 to 3058, but WoB made a point of enlisting Terrans to help restore the Star League. That included buying Terran loyalty with a planetary government more or less under Terran authority.

Thailand and Japan also have hereditary governors based on their royal families. The family names aren't mentioned in JHS:Terra.

I don't know if that system of hereditary governors survived into the Republic of the Sphere. I do know that at least one Windsor-Cameron (the Terran Prime Minister) was probably lynched by Terrans after Terra was liberated from WoB, a matter discussed in JHS:Terra.

"Woo, that was bracing! They don't like it when you shoot at them. I worked that out myself." --Mal, Firefly

"Going bonkers from EI or DNI is pushing it. I mean how many Crusaders or Super Wobbies are sane to begin with...." --RockJock01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

I have a story with one Joshua Davies-Cameron, a distant scion in the 4th Succession War era. In his words: "Old Stephan got the "royal family" in the Hegemony, the trunk of the family tree as it were, but the extended family was bigger and more distant than he realized. My own connection goes back to a black sheep cousin in the SLDF; he missed the massacre while on deployment, and went off the grid in Taurian space when he got word of it. After Amaris fell, he and his line returned to the Inner Sphere and married into the Davion peerage, and that's how I got my name."