Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
 Post subject: Re: LAM Rules
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:56 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

snrdg101206 typed, wrote, or said:
Quote:
My impression is that the balance sensors are operating something like fly-by-wire in aircraft, losing inputs while in flight has led to aircraft going out of control from damage. My thinking is that every hit that damages the Balancer is going to effect the balance sensors a lot more than the same hit with a gyro to control balance.
Yeah, Tom, that's what I was thinking. If the Balancer is not damaged, then it should be able to easily land on level pavement.

Any rules ideas that I post for BT aren't official unless an up to date BT rulesbook declares otherwise. You might have to wait at least a fortnight for me to reply because I'm usually very active. I won't discuss real life politics or religion on any of these forum(s), but my favorite color is yellow like my skin color (hint).

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:26 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

hey Tom, the Think Tank Life Path does give any character, that rolls highest of that life path, the ability to design pretty much anything, so in a way, that Balancer basically abides by construction rules :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:29 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

yeah Tom, jumpglide by wire or jumpfly by wire or fly by wire is currently a character rule, and i agree that a LAM moving either of those 3 ways would probably crash if it became damaged while not having a functioning gyro, though a Balancer can get an extremely high to-hit number to roll for but autohit on a roll of 12 could defeat it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:01 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

accidental repost, i apologize, please delete

Last edited by ilikeTWTOSOIOAToW on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:03 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

hey Tom, i had noticed that the sensors of the Balancer only use 1 critical slot in the head so that there can be a neck actuator for headbunting attacks; i'd say that the Balancer probably doesn't have additional sensors except for every component's microsensor and internal structure microsensors that are installed, but i don't think that the Balancer's computer would become nonfunctional

there do appear to be disadvantages with the Balancer such as having to divert 6 critical slots for the combustion chambers, 1 critical slot for each of its 4 wheels (launch & landing gear), 5 critical slots for conversion, and 4 critical slots for 2+0.5+0.5 tons of fuel without getting any 1 ton of fuel for 0 tons; that's a total of 19 critical slots whereas using IO rules, a Standard LAM would only have 8 critical slots for those components; i just emailed chip some recommendations 2 hours ago as to how to make that LAM more effective, and he replied and said he'd update that LAM

update: chip has now replied that the recommendations have been supplied

obviously, a magic spell from chip or friend(s) of his, got Standard LAMs termed as Standard LAMs while IO is a book that has experimental rules, so that those Standard LAMs rules will eventually be in TW because TW is standard tournament rulesbook.

i've got no problem any LAM(s) using the AirMech version of overdrive MP from TO as long as gunnery to-hit modifier for person piloting AirMech while using over MP = Flank MP to-hit modifier plus 1

also, Interstellar Operations page 114 instead of prohibiting those components such hardened or other type(s) of armor(s), cockpit(s), gyro(es), engine(s), internal structure(s), extra large items, CLPS, NSS, VSS, etc., to be mounted on a LAM; how about a technical skill roll for each component for each location(s) that said component is mounted in provided that a person uses the Think Tank Life Path roll of 12 xor 19 xor 20 for design, not sure which) to get said component(s) mounting(s) designed for LAM(s)? like say for example: a player rolls 12 xor 19 xor 20 to determine if (s)he can design that LAM, then (s)he or another player rolls 2D6, and if that roll is higher than the total number of critical slots that said component in location is mounted in plus all other applicable modifiers (such as minimum desired technical base skill number, other technical personnel assisting that person, etc.), then no problem(s) with said mounting, but if that 2D6 roll is equal to or less than the total number of critical slots that said component in location is mounted in, then problem(s) with said mounting such as one or more critical hits and/or malfunction(s), and yes apply fumble rule only if that technical 2D6 skill roll is a 2; you could mount extra large item(s) in a LAM of which said extra large item(s) each occupy multiple locations, but that would prevent converting from one mode to another mode

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:29 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

ilikeTWTOSOIOAToW typed:
Quote:
i've got no problem any LAM(s) using the AirMech version of overdrive MP from TO as long as gunnery to-hit modifier for person piloting AirMech while using over MP = Flank MP to-hit modifier plus 1
Agreed, and I think you meant "Flank MP gunnery to-hit modifier".

I like your idea for those two dice rolls, and I recommend for any 2D6 technical roll for mounting a noun in a LAM's head, a character applies a +6 penalty modifier to the minimum desired roll number (skill target number) to account for the head having only 6 critical slots because 12-6=+6 penalty modifier, and apply said +6 penalty modifier in addition to all other applicable modifiers.

Any rules ideas that I post for BT aren't official unless an up to date BT rulesbook declares otherwise. You might have to wait at least a fortnight for me to reply because I'm usually very active. I won't discuss real life politics or religion on any of these forum(s), but my favorite color is yellow like my skin color (hint).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:38 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

that's okay Tom, your apology is unnecessary

yeah, Balancer can be knocked down very easily since it doesn't have a gyro

i think that 4th wheel is for stability

take your time reading that other information, and you're welcome

Alayne Leung, thank you for your feedback

i did mean "Flank MP gunnery to-hit modifier plus 1"

and i like your idea for that +6 penalty modifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:08 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Either chip or friend(s) of his uses magic to have "Standard LAMs" words instead of "Trimodal LAMs" words be published in Interstellar Operations experimental rulesbook even though Total Warfare is standard tournament rulesbook. So we can therefore deduce that eventually more rules including "Standard LAMs" rules will be in Total Warfare at future times.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:39 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

good evening, Tom, that "single" sensor of the Balancer is actually all of its standard sensors in just one critical slot so that the neck actuator can have a critical slot of its own; you'll want to read this topic's list of fanrules (see Sept. 20, 2014 reply)
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.p ... pic=171830

yeah, the Balancer is a wonderfully munchkinized design;

also, do you think that a LAM should be allowed a Narrow/Low Profile design quirk from SO given that its conversion equipment makes it more sized? why or why not?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:55 am 
Loki
Loki

From my perspective, and rules changes to make LAMs work should be as seemless as possible towards the existing rules.

AKA, there should be as few special rules as possible.

This "balancer" that replaces the gyro for no tonnage and other stuff screams of a special rule.

Also, all BattleMechs have gyros. That is established in the universe.

Therefore, the "balancer" idea as a replacement for the gyro does not cross my threshold of willingness to introduce or use in any way.

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:27 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

hi Tom, i pressed the Register button at wargamerau.com and i got no error message, so you could probably try again
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php

yeah, Tom, the following traits, that are mentioned for use with the Balancer, i'm not too thrilled about them being used in game(s) unless majority of players of these game(s) agree
+6 Vampire Bat like evasive by spending 3 MP in addition to all other MP spent (another HeroChip rule)
+30 Ghostly Maneuvering +1D6 roll of 6 multiplied by (+1D6 roll of 6 minus 1)
+46 Witch's Broomlike Maneuvering that adds double evasive maneuver points by spending 10 MP in addition to all other MP spent (another HeroChip rule)
+5 Warlock's Concealment that makes terrain to-hit modifiers and terrain feature to-hit modifiers doubled for spending 1MP (another HeroChip rule)

and having careful aim be a -10 to-hit modifier per each turn that careful aim is saved to be consecutively more beneficial to an attacker attacking a Balancer seems to adequately balance its damage avoiding abilities

hi Medron Pryde, any Balancer LAM from what i've read must have symmetrical tonnage otherwise it will crash due to any damage that impacts it; that means even if just one LBX-AC point of damage hits a Balancer, then that Balancer will crash while in AirMech mode or BattleMech mode; see Sept 20, 2014 reply
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.p ... 71830&st=0
perhaps allow for a rule that provides 1MP spent of jumping/cruising/flanking/overing during a turn for negation of crashing in addition to all other MP spent during that turn?

also, i'm pretty sure Cray's rules for gyroless 'Mechs use heavier actuators in place of gyroes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:56 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Apparently chip forgot to include the 1D6 roll to-hit modifier evasive rule he posted on his unofficial rules topic. While that 1D6 to-hit modifier for using skilled evasive while AirMech uses Over MP can be nullified by the AirMech Gunner, that same 1D6 modifier could be applied as a modifier to the target number to be rolled for a turn mode roll. So basically while AirMech uses Over MP while only using MPs of AirMech Flank MP while using skilled evasive has +1D6 modifier applied to turn mode target number to be rolled (or 2D6 if using double skilled evasive while AirMech uses Over MP (but only has MPs of AirMech Cruise MP; or 3D6 if using double skilled evasive while AirMech uses Over MP, but only has MPs of AirMech Stationary MP) while using skilled evasive has XD6 applied to turn mode target number to be rolled. So +1D6 xor +2D6 xor +3D6 applied to turn mode target number to be rolled, and MoF of that roll added to target number of Failed Maneuver that must be rolled. That will make the Balancer more balanced. I'll email chip that info.

Also, are Interstellar Operations rules, for jump jets to be used as combustion chambers in LAMs, to keep those rules simple? Jump jets aren't that hot (just a minimum 30 degrees Celsius for one jump jet to be used per any BT turn since hostile environments rules say 10 degrees Celsius = 1 heat point); combustion chambers are very hot of several thousand degrees Celsius.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:06 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Sorry, i couldn't edit previous message; i meant to say:

Apparently chip forgot to include the 1D6 roll to-hit modifier evasive rule he posted on his unofficial rules topic. While that 1D6 to-hit modifier for using skilled evasive while AirMech uses Over MP can be nullified by the AirMech Gunner, that same 1D6 modifier could be applied as a modifier to the target number to be rolled for a turn mode roll. So basically while AirMech uses Over MP while only using MPs of AirMech Flank MP while using single skilled evasive has +1D6 modifier applied to turn mode target number to be rolled (or 2D6 if using double skilled evasive while AirMech uses Over MP, but only has MPs of AirMech Cruise MP; or 3D6 if using triple skilled evasive while AirMech uses Over MP, but only has MPs of AirMech Stationary MP; or 4D6 if using Vampire Bat Evasive while using triple skilled evasive while AirMech uses Over MP, but only has MPs of AirMech Stationary MP; and so on) while using skilled evasive has XD6 applied to turn mode target number to be rolled. So +1D6 xor +2D6 xor +3D6 applied to turn mode target number to be rolled, and MoF of that roll added to target number of Failed Maneuver that must be rolled. That will make the Balancer more balanced. I've emailed chip that info.

Last edited by Alayne Leung on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:27 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

hey Tom,
those traits do seem balanced since they require spending MP and having way higher attacker movement modifiers (though the Balancer's Gunner would be able to negate all of those attacker movement modifiers) and Alayne Leung's recommendation of imposing a consecutive +1D6 evasive modifier rolls to target numbers of piloting or driving skill rolls, you might want to read their full rules by clicking on this link

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.p ... 1830&st=20

also, i think those traits are balanced on a par with that Overrun Combat (i'm sure there are players that, while using Overrun Combat or using Careful Aim of -10 to-hit modifier per turn)
could shoot to pieces a Balancer easily
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Force_Specific_Rules

and remember, a to-hit roll of 12, using AToW rules, is an autohit anyways, so that very high to-hit number any Balancer can achieve won't be of much use :wink: :lol:
and then there's good old fashioned artillery cannons :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:41 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

So basically, to improve Interstellar Operations rules for LAMs:

On p. 106, why are Bimodal and Standard LAMs considered "Experimental" since on p. 9 it says "Interstellar Operations (IO) is the rulebook you are holding in your hands and final "staging" Advanced Rulebook; and also on p. 106 "to use his BattleMech Gunnery Skill" should say "to use her or his BattleMech Gunnery Skill". (Yeah, there are women such as myself that enjoy using LAMs.)

A theory I have is that, on p. 106 & 107, damage to a gyro, that's in the CT, shouldn't hinder converting.

On p. 108, A LAM could probably have handheld weapon(s) in hand actuators while in Fighter mode (that would require aerodynamic structure for hand actuators to hold handheld weapon(s). There are BT aerospace fighters that have weapons mounted in their noses. Of course such a LAM probably wouldn't be able to hold anything else while it's holding weapons & ammo & heat sinks for them. You could also probably design metal mounting loops (one critical slot per loop) for Battle Armor or foot or jump infantry to grab hold of for any LAM mode to carry.

On p. 110, the LAM Critical Hit Table should say for a jump jet critical hit "-3 AirMech Cruise MP*" instead of "-1 AirMech Cruise MP*" since an AirMech Cruise MP is 3 times a jump jet MP; hip & lower leg & and foot critical hits should have 2 asteriks in BattleMech column for each of those 3 critical hits so that Run MP (not AirMech Flank MP) is recalculated.

A LAM has got to have Avionics in one critical slot of each of the following locations: left arm & right arm (so that they can convert to become the nose), left leg & right leg (so they can convert to form the tail aft), head or center torso (to position the head cockpit when converting); and a LAM has got to have Avionics in 2 critical slots of each side torso (4 critical slots total of those 2 side torsoes because each side torso has 2 armor locations). A critical hit to any critical slot that has Avionics should prevent converting also.

On p. 114, yeah, I agree with Lisa from p. 115 that a LAM should be able to mount an XL engine because the LAM's side torsoes converting wouldn't be a problem for the standard placement of an XL engine. I also theorize that a LAM should be able to mount other engine provided that critical slots are available and an XL gyro. And another theory I have is that a LAM should be able to mount cockpits that consume additional critical slots and also MASC, TSM, CLPS, VSS, NSS.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:38 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

How about having for LAM Skill Table on p. 106 "Conventional Vehicle" or "WiGE WiGE" for Piloting & Gunnery?

And on p. 112, Tactical Operations AirMech Attacker Movement Modifiers of Sprinting, Crawling, Dangle & Drop Table must be displayed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:55 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

I don't really think that "Robin Hood" should be the name of the "Balancer" given that Robin Hood never flew nor used a laser; I'd prefer a name like "Flying Balancer Agent". (FBA) :)

The rules for dual cockpits must be republished because page 106 specifically says that the Jade Falcons experimented with LAMs that had dual cockpits and that Word of Blakers had used that concept. And speaking of cockpits, page 114 says "LAMs may not use torso mounted cockpits, nor any cockpits that requires additional critical hit slots.". You'll notice that that word "slots" is a plural noun, and a dual cockpit only has one additional critical slot, and you'll notice that that word "slot" is a singular noun, so mounting a Heavy Metal Pro dual cockpit or a small dual cockpit on a LAM is therefore okay.

How about any LAM can mount a max of 6 bomb bays in CT in exchange for LAM mounting compact gyro & compact engine in addition to 10 bomb bays per each side torso wing?

What is the "55" of Phoenix Hawk LAM formula of 55*0.5=27.5 on page 192?

On page 114, it says "LAMs may not use any engine other than a standard or a compact fusion engine.

LosTech Prospector Life Path and Think Tank Life Path can get new LAMs designed for production.

How do you feel about allowing evading to be used in exchange for consciousness roll due to high Gs and perhaps a +1 modifier to consciousness TN for every +7 evasive to-hit modifier?

How about allowing gyro tonnages to be fractionally accounted by improving Tactical Operations rules for fractional accounting? I'm sure Steve and Lisa would like that for their Phoenix Hawk LAMs because currently the gyro for a Phoenix Hawk LAM is 3 tons instead of 2.5, and allowing Steve and Lisa to mount a 2.5 ton gyro in each of their Phoenix Hawk LAMs can allow that remaining 0.5 tons to be used for: an Inner Sphere Small Laser, xor 40 additional fuel points, xor 8 additional armor points like mounting 3 more armor points on the head of a Phoenix Hawk LAM (for 9 points of armor on Phoenix Hawk LAM head) and mounting the 5 remaining armor points on other location(s).

edited part added September 2, 2017:

1. Perhaps Flying Ballerina Agent (FBA) would be a better name for "Balancer" since it doesn't come equipped with a gyro. :)

2. How about allowing a LAM to be constructed as an OmniLAM, but use this formula to determine the time that is necessary to make an OmniLAM:

2*4*pi*((sum of components construction time as per already published rules/2)^3)/3

So basically that formula is: sort of the formula for determining the volume of a sphere using 4 multiplied by pi and further multiplied by the cube of half the time of total of components construction time as per already published rules multiplied by 2 that happens to be the omni multiplier and that is divided by 3; I thought that is good game balance, but you each might want to playtest that, though.

3. When I said "Dangle & Drop Table must be displayed", I meant that attacker movement modifiers for dangle and drop, and also leap down must be displayed.

4. A LAM should be capable of using Light, XL, XXL and Large Fusion Engines in theory.

5. On page 110 rule that says "Because these items are carried internally, and their weight is largely accounted for during the unit's construction, the mass and size of any external ordnance in these bomb bays will not affect the LAM's AirMech MPs." is a little confusing since that rule says "internally" and "external"; and a LAM, while in BattleMech mode, that accidentally falls or intentionally falls, should be able to use its b***(s) if it has any, but said LAM could perhaps have to take damage from said b*** that it uses while falling while in BattleMech mode given how that LAM falls onto said b***(s) exploding.

6. On page 112 the LAM Fighter Hit Location Table can be more playable as follows:

Dice Roll Nose Aft Side Above/Below
2________CT___CT___LT/RT__CT(F)/CT(R)
12________H____H_____H______H/CT(R)

Said playableness is more like BattleMech Hit Location Table of which the head can, for the most part, be hit on a roll of 12.

7. On page 114, I say omit that rule that says "LAMs may not be constructed with internal cargo carrying capacity". I mean, last time I checked in theory a bunch of armed forces uniforms could be put in a LAM cargo bay; and omit minimum jumping MP rule to let designers determine and decide how much jump MP their LAMs must have (you'll reduce the need for ink that's been used for those two rules and that'll save space on page 114, and persons that have HeavyMetal Pro can easily determine jump jets to mount in their LAMs).

8. Can a LAM make use of TO Sprinting MP rule for use when in Fighter mode in an "overthrustlike manner", and if yes, then does that increase avionics and structure tonnages?

Last edited by Alayne Leung on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:49 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Evening.

I have just started looking for a cohesive rules set covering LAM units.
I just started a Mechwarrior game and one of my players is completely enamored of the idea of converting mechs. To the point of, I have had to chastise him every time he compares this to anything anime... (you know what I mean)

My fairly lengthy search online led me here, and to what appear to be the most effective and complete (as in, not game breaking) set of rules for their operation.
I was hoping you might have a pdf of these updated rules available I might be able to snag and print out. That way I have something in front of me to handle situations that come up. Copy/Pasting the relevant posts would be a serious pain in the butt on my rather limited laptop.

I admit to now needing to also find rules for Aerospace fighters on the battlefield. If anyone knows where I can get brief rules to handle that as well, that would be spectacular.

Tolrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:36 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Good evening CDT Tolrick,
I recommend you purachse Interstellar Operations rulesbook because it has the most recently published rules for LAMs.

Good evening CDT Tom,
Neither of those two replies arrived in my Inbox. You might want to post that reply you typed to "Greetings Tom: have you read chip's rules for LAMs?" as a reply to LAM rules topic on General BattleTech Discussion forum and do the same with "100 ton aerofighter to do 6,000 damage points in 1 BT turn?" as a reply to my most recent reply of "20 Clan uPLs xor 20 IS small lasers: 1200 points of damage in one TW turn for 20 heat points" located here:

http://www.heavymetalpro.com/forums/vie ... ge#p246000

(that latter reply is on General BattleTech Discussion forum). I also would like to read your comments about my replies to "Exploding Engines" and "My currently unofficial SHRAG Item Equipment Rules: shrinks or omits incoming TAG & Light TAG beam(s) edited Aug 11" topics also on General BattleTech Discussion forum. Have a good night and have a good day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:05 am 
Village Drunk
Village Drunk

You're at four accounts now Chip?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2