Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:23 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

Looks like with the Robotech movie actually getting some traction HG is at it again going after Battletech:

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/washi ... 327/242820

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:00 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Um, Karagin, why is that lawsuit occurring? If BT was redesigned to be more modest and more sensitive and used United Nations instead of current affiliations of Inner Sphere and not vehemently destructive, do you think Harmony Gold would then drop lawsuit and agree to legally merge with Catalyst Game Labs to swap copyrighted and trademarked literature and patented software back and forth? Why or why not?

Any rules ideas that I post for BT aren't official unless an up to date BT rulesbook declares otherwise. You might have to wait at least a fortnight for me to reply because I'm usually very active. I won't discuss real life politics or religion on any of these forum(s), but my favorite color is yellow like my skin color (hint).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Quote:
Um, Karagin, why is that lawsuit occurring? If BT was redesigned to be more modest and more sensitive and used United Nations instead of current affiliations of Inner Sphere and not vehemently destructive, do you think Harmony Gold would then drop lawsuit and agree to legally merge with Catalyst Game Labs to swap copyrighted and trademarked literature and patented software back and forth? Why or why not?
HUH????

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:54 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

Alayne Leung TRY reading the link...that should tell you why and if you need it explained, Harmony Gold sued FASA back in the day over the UNSEEN images, they settled out of court and FASA pulled the mech images that caused the issues. Fast forward to now, Harmony Gold convinced Sony to buy the movie rights to Robotech, in case you didn't know Robotech is a mix mash of several Japanese anime that have nothing in common and became Robotech for the US market, Harmony Gold had or thought they had control over this IP, they had some control not as much as they claimed, and they found out the hard way in a Japanese court. So with Sony in their ball park HG flees it can go after Harebrained Schemes and CGL and win big this time. All of this comes on the heels of the failing Robotech Tactics miniature game and kickstarter that was POORLY handled by Palladium Games and the release of a Robotech Board game, so this has NOTHING with HG needing to merge with anyone. Harmony Gold lost a lawsuit against Hasbro over images of the Transformer Jetfire (Skyfire) and lost badly.

So really this is HG trying yet again to ruin everyone's fun because they can't accept that they have done nothing worthwhile with the Robotech IP in 20 years and folks don't really know who they are and thus this is a chance to get back in the light, yet at the same time they are running the risk of gutting their fan base and really causing folks to lash out at them bigger then the last time.

Now does that explain things and bring you back to planet Earth?

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:58 pm 
Major General
Major General

Which AGAIN is what killed the last attempt at a MW game, AGAIN is EXACTLY what I said was going to happen this time... I saw this coming the DAY the first trailer came out for Hairbrained's hair-braining. There's a REASON this stuff stayed off limits for two decades, but all the "first swinging dick through the door" pissing on the IP types -- or sleazy dirtbags looking for a quick cash-grab like Weissman with his fly by night projects that lose relevance inside a year AND piss off the classic fans in one fell swoop -- just cannot get that through their skulls.

If you didn't see this coming, you haven't been paying attention the PAST THIRTY YEARS!!!

But as always, ENTIRELY what I've come to expect from the business ineptitude so common to those currently holding onto the IP like Gollum with his hobbit-humping ring. Fits right in part and parcel with all their other piss poor incompetent attempts at sustaining, promoting, and running the franchise.

I was actually SHOCKED when Project Phoenix didn't get kicked in the groin, even with the different art. For hairbrained's BattleTech to get pimp-slapped JUST like the attempt at MechWarrior that preceded it? (not counting the pointless pile of garbage MOBA pretending to be a MMO)

Well, I'm with Dick Grayson on this one. I'm whelmed. Not overwhelmed, not underwhelmed -- just plain whelmed.

Fits hand in hand with the blatant lies they feed their fans, their volunteers, and even their staff -- JUST like the ignorance of the most basic of business practices exhibited by every level of their operation.

[size=80][color=#114488][i]
It seems very queer that we invariably entrust the writing of our regulations for the next war to men totally devoid of anything but theoretical knowledge.[/i][/color][/size]