Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Narc question
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:57 am 
Private First Class
Private First Class

If my Narc Pod attaches does that mean, I no longer have to roll to see if I it. I only roll to see how many missiles hit?

Post subject: Re: Narc question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:53 pm 
Village Drunk
Village Drunk

Roll to-hits normally, add +2 to the 2d6 roll on the missile chart.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:25 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

If to hit rolls must still be rolled, what is the advantage over the Artemis IV?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:53 am 
Major General
Major General

Quote:
If to hit rolls must still be rolled, what is the advantage over the Artemis IV?
+2 instead of +1, and you only need to swap the ammo on the launch vehicles, not find an extra ton on every unit for each launcher.

NARC can seem like a pretty hefty investment, but if you've got a heavy lance of missile carriers sitting back at range like they should be, being able to just swap in an ammo type and give one of your scouts a NARC unit is a lot simpler.

What's easier? Refitting 4 catapults in your fire support lance with 8 Artemis systems reducing either their ammo or fallback weapons, or adding a Raven to your scout lance and buying some fancy ammo for the Cats?

Remember, you need a dedicates Artemis system for EVERY launcher you want to get the bonus and it's only good for that ONE unit's ONE launcher.

You only need one NARC beacon for your entire lance/company/battalion/regiment to share. Remember, NARC gives the bonus to ALL friendly units on the struck target until end of play if they have the right ammo type without having to modify those other 'Mechs!

... and if memory serves, NARC also applies its bonus for indirect fire; Artemis being point and shoot doesn't.

[size=80][color=#114488][i]
It seems very queer that we invariably entrust the writing of our regulations for the next war to men totally devoid of anything but theoretical knowledge.[/i][/color][/size]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:21 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

Quote:
Quote:
+2 instead of +1, and you only need to swap the ammo on the launch vehicles, not find an extra ton on every unit for each launcher.

NARC can seem like a pretty hefty investment, but if you've got a heavy lance of missile carriers sitting back at range like they should be, being able to just swap in an ammo type and give one of your scouts a NARC unit is a lot simpler.

What's easier? Refitting 4 catapults in your fire support lance with 8 Artemis systems reducing either their ammo or fallback weapons, or adding a Raven to your scout lance and buying some fancy ammo for the Cats?

Remember, you need a dedicates Artemis system for EVERY launcher you want to get the bonus and it's only good for that ONE unit's ONE launcher.

You only need one NARC beacon for your entire lance/company/battalion/regiment to share. Remember, NARC gives the bonus to ALL friendly units on the struck target until end of play if they have the right ammo type without having to modify those other 'Mechs!

... and if memory serves, NARC also applies its bonus for indirect fire; Artemis being point and shoot doesn't.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:49 am 
Village Drunk
Village Drunk

Artemis IV is also +2 on the missile chart, but the rest is spot on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:25 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

I think Narc guided missiles can be vectored indirectly, but hostile ECM(s) effect radius(radii) counters Narc guidance, and I don't think (but I'm not sure about this) that Artemis IV or V guided missiles can't be vectored indirectly, so that's another advantage that Narc presumeably has over Artemis IV or V.

Any rules ideas that I post for BT aren't official unless an up to date BT rulesbook declares otherwise. You might have to wait at least a fortnight for me to reply because I'm usually very active. I won't discuss real life politics or religion on any of these forum(s), but my favorite color is yellow like my skin color (hint).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:36 am 
Village Drunk
Village Drunk

Narc and Artemis IV can't be fired indirectly.

ECM blocks both Narc and Artemis IV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Good CDT morning Tom,
Thank you for posting those clarifications. I had presumed that I had incorrectly read Narc missiles indirect vectoring rules when at first no person(s) had corrected chihawk's comment that Narc missiles couldn't be vectored indirectly. Glad to know that I sort of read those rules correctly (I forgot that the Narc +2 modifier doesn't apply when Narc missiles are vectored indirectly towards a Narc pod).

How do you feel about an optional rule allowing all Narc missiles going towards a Narc pod to hit the location or person said Narc pod is attached to? A good way to counter that is with ECM and also to allow an AMS or Laser AMS to use only one shot to explode a Narc missile to simultaneously explode all other Narc missiles that are flying to said location or person (theoretically, that Narc missile explosion, of that Narc missile that exploded from that AMS or Laser AMS shot, would be big enough to explode those other Narc missiles that are closely next to that missile explosion and that said Narc missiles are going towards said Narc pod). Or perhaps that rules should be obligatory unless a Narc Pod functions like a sensor to gather target's shape and size?

Any rules ideas that I post for BT aren't official unless an up to date BT rulesbook declares otherwise. You might have to wait at least a fortnight for me to reply because I'm usually very active. I won't discuss real life politics or religion on any of these forum(s), but my favorite color is yellow like my skin color (hint).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:52 pm 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

Things to me that have always limited narcs:

#1 Narcs are very short ranged weapons, so you basically need a specialized spotter unit to get up close and personal to tag enemy units, who aren't going to just sit passively and let you do that. I've designed a few durable narc spotters for that task, including a Wolverine variant, a Hellion Omni variant, and a zippy hovercraft, all of which are posted around here somewhere.

#2 Narcs are ammo based weapons with a hideously limited number of shots. Because of that, I've often debated whether or not narcs should have been a special ammo type for LRM/SRM launchers instead of a completely separate weapon. Fire off a volley of narc missiles, then if they hit, follow up with the stuff that goes BOOM.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:00 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Hi Tom,

I meant, how do you feel about amending the Narc pod rules to provide an optional rule that allows all Narc missiles going towards a Narc pod to hit the location said Narc pod is attached to as an option for any player(s) that want(s) to do just that? Should they be allowed to or not? Why or why not?

I meant theoretically, you could probably launch a Narc pod to get stuck on a Battle Armor Trooper; you'd have to roll for a Battle Armor Trooper to be hit unless she or he was not with any other Battle Armor Troopers like in a Squad or Point.

Shades of Grey,

You might use drone(s) to launch Narc pod(s).

Narc guided missiles are, according to Total Warfare, SRM(s) or LRM(s) that have Narc guidance system simply added to said SRM(s) and said (LRMs). I'm sure that the current Total Warfare rules want to maintain game balance by allowing missiles, that have Narc guidance systems added, to be launched without having to go to a Narc pod if there isn't a Narc pod xor if a character wants to launch such missiles to another target that might not have a Narc pod. Theoretically, you could make missiles that are exclusively guided by Narc pods.