Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:33 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Crush Physical Attack(s)

Game Notes: The Crush Physical Attack is for a 'Mech that uses its Hand Actuator to crush an organism its holding. Yes, a 'Mech could be holding hostage or taking for imprisonment a nonplaying character, and controlling player could perhaps want to crush to death said nonplaying character.

Game Rules: Follow the rules for a punching attack but apply a +3 modifier in addition to all other to-hit modifiers (including any modifiers that crush attack would have if it was a punch attack); and if successful, then that 'Mech's Hand Actuator's Crush Physical Attack does damage equal to 'Mech's tonnage divided by 20 to target only if said target is an organism that isn't wearing Heavy Armor or vehicular armor such as Battle Armor, and apply damage increasement(s) if that 'Mech has functioning Triple Strength Myomer(s) or functioning Accelerated Arm Actuator(s)' during turn of said attack. If a 'Mech is using two Hand Actuators to do said Crush Attack, then apply a -1 to-hit modifier in addition to all other modifiers mentioned above, and if both Hand Actuators successfully attack, then apply damage from both Hand Actuators. Yes 'Mech Claw(s) can proportionally modify damage if it (or they're both) used to do that (those) crush attack(s). If one or both Crush Physical Attacks of a 'Mech during a gametime (gameturn or phase of a turn) is or are unsuccessful, then player controlling that 'Mech must make a Piloting Skill Roll to avoid falling with all applicable modifier(s) plus an additional modifier that is equal to the (sum) of MoF(s) of 'Mech's immediate previous roll(s) of said unsuccessful Crush Physical Attack(s).

Breachy Negative Design Quirk

Game Notes: The Breachy Negative Design Quirk is for any structure location of any unit (including any aerospace unit) that is going to be in or already is in a vacuum/water, and said quirk makes said location more prone to armor or structure breaching.

Game Notes:Any structure location can have this Negative Design Quirk. The cost of said quirk is equal to the sum of each structure's location multiplied by the severity of said leak's integer increment of determining whether or not dice roll breaching happens, then multiplied by -1. So basically for example: if a 'Mech has eleven structure locations, and ten, of those eleven locations, each have said quirk, and integer decrements are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7, 7, for respectively said ten structure location quirks; then the total cost of said quirk for that 'Mech is -42; because )0+1+2+3+4+5+6+7+7+7=42; then multiplied by -1=-42.

And an eleventh structure location of a 'Mech could have a Breachy Positive Design Quirk of 1 xor 2, then it would cost +1 or +2; because 1 xor 2, then multiplied by +1 = +1 xor +2.

I want to read each of your replies about any or all above text.

Any rules ideas that I post for BT aren't official unless an up to date BT rulesbook declares otherwise. You might have to wait at least a fortnight for me to reply because I'm usually very active. I won't discuss real life politics or religion on any of these forum(s), but my favorite color is yellow like my skin color (hint).

Last edited by Alayne Leung on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:38 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Actually, take a step back and look at the process of using a Battlemech's hands. Many are simple hands and others are claws, while some mechs don't even have either.

There are 3 basic forms of potential passengers that a mech can pick up:
1) Willing (varying degrees)
2) Unwilling (varying degrees)
3) Unconscious

A willing passenger makes the process much easier. A passenger used to being picked up, even better.
An unwilling passenger will struggle and maneuver to make being safely picked up difficult to impossible.
If unconscious, the passenger will neither help nor hinder the mech pilot.

How does a mech pick a willing person up?
Standard hands are helpful. They could form a platform for a passenger to step on and ride standing or seated. A cupped hand is safer on the move, while actually gripping a passenger could be messy to a green pilot.

Claws can also be used as platforms or grip a person...in a pinch...(Sorry).

The pilot skill check could be modified by the passenger's Ride skill...or something equivalent.

How does a mech pick an unwilling person up?
In addition to not wanting to be grabbed by a huge machine, the person might also attempt to escape. Not only does the pilot risk failing to pick up the passenger, but will also have a greater chance to inadvertently crush the prisoner.

Modify the pilot's skill check against the target's applicable skills in dodging, acrobatics, martial arts, etc.

Passenger Unconscious
Most mech fingers aren't really designed to scrape people off the ground. Grabbing onto the clothing would be the safest maneuver but if that isn't an option, a risky attempt at gripping a limb may be attempted. Frankly. I don't believe mechs are designed for that degree of deftness do the Target Numbers would be kind of high to execute the action safely. A mech manual would probably recommend crouching, placing the mech's hand flat on the ground, palm up and have the passenger manually loaded onto the hand and secured.

Okay, crushing a person is just excessive...
A mech may as well stomp on them at that point, and not bother with hunkering over or kneeling to get the mech's hands low enough to punch or grab.

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

Last edited by Mohammed As `Zaman Bey on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:43 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Mohammed As `Zaman Bey, some errors on my part (I haven't been getting much sleep); I meant to type:

A 'Mech uses Hand Actuator(s) to pick(s) up unwilling person(s) as described above, so basically Crush Physical Attack(s) is or are actually Grabbing like Physical Attack(s) done by 'Mech Hand Actuator(s) against a character or other life form(s). Crushing can be done as soon as soon as target(s) is or are picked up or later presuming 'Mech can still function to do so and also if target(s) is or are still being held by that 'Mech's Hand Actuator(s).

As for escaping, that's probably like Infantry that make climbing (swarming attack) against a 'Mech of which said infantry get off said 'Mech. I'll have to get back to you on such actions later.

As for picking up willing xor unwilling xor unconscious character(s), TO or AToW or AToWC could perhaps have some rules regarding such character(s).

Any rules ideas that I post for BT aren't official unless an up to date BT rulesbook declares otherwise. You might have to wait at least a fortnight for me to reply because I'm usually very active. I won't discuss real life politics or religion on any of these forum(s), but my favorite color is yellow like my skin color (hint).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:46 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Kung hee fat choy!

Usually my family spends this time of year making char siu bao and jook, to celebrate the lunar new year.

When I start looking at maneuvers for Battlemechs, I begin with looking at the parameters of the machine: Could it accomplish a flying kick or a spinning roundhouse? I usually drop the kung fu moves from a Run Run Shaw film and look more to sumo or judo for more practical moves.

We know a mech can punch, but what about a finger flick or backhand? How human-like are humanoid mechs?

Whenever we take attacks or defenses, refine them and commit to practicing them, we create a martial art. It doesn't matter if it is a squad of anti-mech infantry or a mech facing men on foot, it all becomes a martial art and in that light, how would it be trained? Just as important, who would use them?

Humanoid: Okay, you want to pick up a cockroach on the floor, what do you do? Unless you're already dragging your knuckles on the ground, most humans have to crouch or bend over to get into position to touch the floor with their fingers. If you bend over, you might lose your balance, so a mech may require a piloting skill check; If you crouch, you will be at reduced movement, which is bad if the roach you are trying to grab is very fast.

What about the target? The target might not cooperate and just stand there, waiting for you to grab him, right? Most small creatures just run away, others head for cover. A human will run into a building or slit trench, in order to avoid being grabbed. A human might outrun a crouched mech or gamble on a bent over mech to chase and force an error. What about taking a chance of running at the mech and dashing between its legs to get behind it? A mech would have to spin around to face the target, spending movement and risking losing its balance.

Some mechs were designed to grab things on the ground; The Crab comes into mind. It is a bird walker, headless, with arms mounted low, at waist level and easily capable of touching the ground without crouching. As with most headless mechs, the Crab makes up for its lack of windows with several external cameras, including cameras mounted on its claws, which would allow it greater ability to utilize them.

When you write these rules, put yourself in the cockpit...and outside of the cockpit.

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:18 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Hi Mohammed As `Zaman Bey,
Quote:
Could it accomplish a flying kick or a spinning roundhouse?
1. Depends on its piloting ability, tacking ability, and speed.

[/quote]We know a mech can punch, but what about a finger flick or backhand? How human-like are humanoid mechs?[/quote]

2. Theoretically so, see answer 1 above.
Quote:
Whenever we take attacks or defenses, refine them and commit to practicing them, we create a martial art. It doesn't matter if it is a squad of anti-mech infantry or a mech facing men on foot, it all becomes a martial art and in that light, how would it be trained?
3. A 'Mech could be trained by programming, construction options, artificial intelligence, or 'Mech person(nel) controlling it. Let's have above rules published to discover that answer to that question.
Quote:
Just as important, who would use them?
4. Let's have above rules published to discover those answers of persons that would use them when those persons use those attacks during fictional simulation games.
Quote:
What about the target? The target might not cooperate and just stand there, waiting for you to grab him, right? Most small creatures just run away, others head for cover. A human will run into a building or slit trench, in order to avoid being grabbed. A human might outrun a crouched mech or gamble on a bent over mech to chase and force an error. What about taking a chance of running at the mech and dashing between its legs to get behind it? A mech would have to spin around to face the target, spending movement and risking losing its balance.
5. I encourage you to read these books: TO, TW, SO, IO, AToW, and AToWC. Remember, above rule is that these grabbing attacks each use the Punch Attack rules for to-hit modifiers.

Also, the damage formula mentioned above is when crushing occurs, not necessarily when grabbing occurs.