Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:42 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

How much neural do MechWarriors experience when their mechs take damage?

For example, how much is felt if an arm is taken out or a weapon system is lost vs armor damage? How sever is the feedback from systems damage is what I am asking or does the neural helmet filter this out?

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:57 am 
Loki
Loki

The neurohelmet generally filters out stuff like that.

Not saying you wouldn't feel it, but it wouldn't knock you out.

An ammo explosion on the other hand is going to leave a concussion... ;)

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:54 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

So the loss of a torso would not have similar feedback as an ammo bin going off?

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:25 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
So the loss of a torso would not have similar feedback as an ammo bin going off?

Look at the issue scientifically: What is feedback in the first place? It would be a sudden surge of energy or information that overwhelms the wearer. What would cause it? An ammo explosion would be an extreme incident. I would also add energy effects like EMP and powerful jamming.
Under normal conditions, the neural helmet monitors various functions of the battlemech. The trickle of information is harmless but there are no fail safe systems installed that prevent harm from a sudden powerful surge.
Losing a limb or section would cut the data feed, as opposed to flooding the feed and causing damage.

In one of my campaigns one of the players invented a feedback capacitor (1 ton, 1 slot) that absorbed the feedback that would regularly effect the pilot. The device would hold up to six points of feedback but if damaged, would send all feedback to the pilot plus one additional point. (I was going to double the feedback but I didn't want the character to be removed from the cockpit with a damp sponge.

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:20 pm 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Karagin, thank you for starting this topic; I was thinking about starting a very similar topic. Now, theoretically all explodable nouns mounted in a 'Mech would each have a separate Damage Interrupt Circuit to prevent damage from going to personnel via neurohelmet from said 'Mech computer. So perhaps a good rule is: during End Phase of a turn, personnel of a 'Mech (or other vehicle, see my reply to Mohammed As `Zaman Bey, below) may switch on or off any number of said Damage Interrupt Circuit(s); a switched on Damage Interrupt Circuit may prevent damage from getting to said personnel and if so does that, then it's is destroyed; likewise a switched off Damage Interrupt Circuit may not prevent damage from getting to said personnel, and if so does that, then it's is not destroyed.

Mohammed As `Zaman Bey, I sort of agree with you about electromagnetic pulses and powerful jamming, but not as a damaging effect of personnel controlling said 'Mech (or other vehicle because remember, AToW Vehicle Trait allows 'Mechs, DropShips, Aerospace Fighters, Battle Armor, Conventional Vehicles, and probably other non-infantry units to be vehicles), but instead as hindering her or his willpower. And yes, you could theoretically give many personnel, that use any of those various types of vehicles a neurohelmets; those neurohelmets could perhaps get expensive and perhaps difficult to locate a factory or store that makes said neurohelmets. So maybe a good AToW rule could perhaps be: for every point of EMP or powerful jamming and when the internal structure, of a location that has been damaged prior to said EMP or powerful jamming event, and of which that location's damage has not been repaired, and of which there is or are person(s) in said location, then his or her or their willpower(s) get(s) decreased by 5, but if there are multiple person(s) in said location, then randomly determine which person(s) get EMP or powerful jamming point(s).

Any rules ideas that I post for BT aren't official unless an up to date BT rulesbook declares otherwise. You might have to wait at least a fortnight for me to reply because I'm usually very active. I won't discuss real life politics or religion on any of these forum(s), but my favorite color is yellow like my skin color (hint).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:53 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

Okay I think we are all seeing things a bit differently. I see a mechwarrior in a cockpit either wearing this oversized helmet that is linking the brain to the mech so that gyros work better and the mech can move, and advances like the neural implants means the only change is no more helmet, so the way I am seeing it, the person is linked to the mech, so when catastrophic damage happens, as in arm is blown off or an internal hit that takes out weapons or its the magazine, the mechwarrior would be feeling this as if it was happening to their own bodies.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:33 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

From my personal aviation career of 35+ years, I came to realize that there was a point that humans only served as an emergency backup for automated systems, even less when satellite tracking and GPS were introduced. In that 35 years I witnessed a single nation-wide computer outage where aircraft data was not being forwarded between stations and I found an internet backup site that mirrored the FAA sites that had crashed. (The FAA spends billions of dollars every year maintaining their own separate phone and data lines, which have been compromised at interface points...but the FAA refuses to trust the internet, no matter how many federal agencies frequently use them, from the FBI to the US Treasury.)

RADAR Air Traffic Control facilities only serve as a manned backup to navigation systems, yet cost far more than those primary systems, due to staffing costs.

Yes, BT is the future with 1980's technology but current technology has robots walking without human backup (face it, a 'Mech's pilot is a backup system, since BT AI is rudimentary at best).

What if a neural helmet transmitted feedback from every hit? Perhaps it does, but rarely enough for physical damage. The loss of a torso or limb may cause discomfort, even disorientation but not injury. That isn't my take but maybe in the early development days of mechs and neural helmets, that may have been the case, until the bugs were ironed out. Fights would be over quickly if mech damage was felt and harmed the pilots.

I was in a Clan Burrock campaign where the players fought out their Trials of Position against each other. My pilot had a Timberwolf with five SSRM6 pods and when he got close to his target, would aim high. He caught one player who REALLY wanted to be commander and hit him with all weapons:
"Well, Matt, do you have your autoeject set?"
"Why?"
"Because if I roll average, you will die. If you eject at the first hit, you will bail with minimal injury."
"But I'll lose!"
"But you will live to fight a rematch."
"I'll eject....but roll the hits anyway."
"Eight head hits, you would have died, bro."
Eventually, Matt went on to be the Trinary Commander...with no Administrative skills...he just sat at his desk and signed every form we placed in front of him...and wound up with awesome equipment...for a while.

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans