Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Thank you for showing interest in my works.

The Liaison is the most recent update of the Mohammed As`Zaman Bey story line. After dedicating time in running his own unit, the Bey is itching to face the Clans once again but this time without the hassle of playing shopkeeper and employer of a large formation. Mercenary units are a necessity in the BT universe and the Combine has lost much of the expertise in dealing with mercs -Who better to keep an eye on mercs than an ex-Merc?

Academy Ballade is a venture into what I consider "realistic" fiction. The characters are based on people I know or knew while growing up. The central character is your Average Joe, not a wealthy noble, no outstanding characteristics, no rich, connected relatives, not even his own 'Mech.

The story is my view of the Draconis Combine as seen through the eyes of the average citizens, from the standpoint of Japanese culture of the 1970s and 80s projected into the future. If there is an anime feel to the story, that's not an accident -I have spent some time studying anime High School dramas, their plot formulas and character development and dropped the story into the Combine environment. Don't expect many fights or chase scenes, other than the occasional field exercise. There may be giant, stompy robots but no magic swords, psychic powers, or godlike beings stepping in to intercede.

The pidgin dialect spoken by the country cadets is based upon the patois adopted by immigrant plantation workers in order to communicate with each other in Hawaii and it is still widely spoken today.
The Academy Ballade story is meant to fill in some of the gaps in academy life left out of my Travels with Uncle Ahmed series, which was heavily edited due to posting restrictions on this site (about nine pages of text).

Academy Ballade is dedicated to my good friend Wellington Matsuda who lost his battle against stomach cancer this past March. He was a gamer, a game designer, a proud otaku, a fine subordinate commander and a Navy Corpsman. Wellington will be sorely missed.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, of course.

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:00 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

I've started publishing a series based on the campaign I'm currently running. It is for mature readers so I can't post it here.

If you are interested in what happens when a corporation runs a mercenary unit filled with dysfunctional personnel:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9937852/1/AoD

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:23 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Aagh! I was looking forward more of Running with the Pride! Anyway it is good to see you back writing, and I'll read it eventually at some point... Now I have some other books to read, including manga. If modern tank warfare is of any interest, I recommend book Heavy Metal: A Tank Company's Battle to Baghdad.

[i]You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.[/i]

[url=http://www.mekwars.org][u]MekWars[/u][/url]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:54 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

In reference to Liaison:
Quote:
well written...
Thank you very much! I have been very busy since I announced my intention to retire within the next year or so -Management has me busy updating and writing training materials and manuals (I work for the Federal Aviation Administration) and I must admit that as an organization, the FAA lacks sufficient people who know how to put together instructions that people will understand. Maybe I can charge the government usurious prices as a "consultant".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:25 pm 
C.O., 1st Kilted
C.O., 1st Kilted

Quote:
Maybe I can charge the government usurious prices as a "consultant".
As long as you're From Out Of Town. :D

Teemo

"Three Shall be the Number of The Counting; And the Number of The Counting Shall be Three "

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:34 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I can charge the government usurious prices as a "consultant".
As long as you're From Out Of Town. :D

Teemo
I'll open a PO Box on another island.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:07 am 
Loki
Loki

Ah...retiring and already planning to move your corporate headquarters off shore...

Good man...good man...:)

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:55 pm 
Supreme Mugwump
Supreme Mugwump

and then u Need a second Company in a tax haven that can demand fees, to reduce Profit ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:00 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Just a brief update.

I retired from the FAA about a year ago and lived off my pension in Hawaii for the past year and noted that I wasn't getting as far ahead as expected. I have purchased a house in Kansas and will be moving next week. My new home's mortgage will cost me less than half my current rent and I'll finally have the time and conditions to work on projects that I have been delaying for so many years. I've lived in Germany and New York so I know I'll have no problem transitioning to a town with 23,000 people after living for two decades in a city with nearly a million. My realtor is Korean and she's amazed how much Korean I can speak, so I know I'll get along in a place that isn't 60% populated by Asians.

I have been working on several stories: The continuation of the Mohammed Bey line, the Academy Ballade line, as well as a couple of Star League-era tales.

I have also been engaging in other hobbies: (hint: I'm the one with the beard)

Last edited by Mohammed As `Zaman Bey on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:41 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

AWESOME PHOTOS! Sounds like you still have many adventures ahead! Glad you are back on here and looking forward to more!

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:23 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

New, overdue installment for Running With the Pride -Had to make it a two-parter as it exceeded the 20K character limit (almost 30K) and I wanted do keep the content without editing it down to fit. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:52 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

I finally added another installment to "The Liaison" and am almost done with with another project.

My first year in Kansas has been mixed. I've managed to lose 20 pounds with my new diet (pretty much avoiding fast food) and the winter wasn't so bad. The City drainage people worked on clearing the drainage pipes in October and blew 4 inches of dirty water into my basement. I'm still waiting for the insurance company to pay off the contractors for cleanup, repairs and restoration...Other than that, I'm good. The weather is in the 70s today and I should go cruising on my bike.

No, I'm not in the Irish mob...ye feckless Sasenach!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:47 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

I finally added another installment to "The Liaison" and am almost done with with another project.

My first year in Kansas has been mixed. I've managed to lose 20 pounds with my new diet (pretty much avoiding fast food) and the winter wasn't so bad. The City drainage people worked on clearing the drainage pipes in October and blew 4 inches of dirty water into my basement. I'm still waiting for the insurance company to pay off the contractors for cleanup, repairs and restoration...Other than that, I'm good. The weather is in the 70s today and I should go cruising on my bike.