Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:31 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

Gevaudan is the fifth system settled by the Veiled Republic. It was colonized in 2855, during the population boom caused by the first two Succession Wars.

Gevaudan's system primary is a K1V yellow-orange dwarf; this star is slightly larger and older than Sol, but somewhat cooler and dimmer. Gevaudan is the second planet in the system (the first is a "hot rock" like Mercury) and orbits at a closer distance to its primary than Terra, so the solar differences on Gevaudan's surface are hardly noticeable. But some still say that Gevaudan is more gloomy or "eerie" than other worlds; this may just be an emotional reaction, given Gevaudan's bloody history and certain factors of its environment. The system's middle portion contains an asteroid belt shepherded by twin gas giants, much like Uranus and Neptune, while an iceball the size of Mars rolls along the outer rim, gathering material from the E-K belt.

Gevaudan itself is a stereotypical Terran world in most respects, with diverse terrain. The inhabited areas are mostly subtropical to subarctic in climate, with chains of hills and eroded mountains dividing the land surface into vales and plateaus, with moderate forestation and many river valleys. Gevaudan is an older world than Terra, and the slow decline of volcanism has left many crater lakes; these are one source of Gevaudan's trademark fog, which rolls over much of the planet's surface every morning and evening, especially during the spring and fall. Local gravity is approximately Terran standard.

Gevaudan's economy is based primarily on agriculture, with some logging, mining, and local industry. Gevaudan was once the fastest growing world in the Republic, but two major wars have taken their toll on the economy and population; growth has been much slower since the Jihad, and the current population of 1.3 billion still has yet to fully recover from that conflict.

Gevaudan is notable for being home to the loup, a native species that may be physically described as a wolf the size of a lion. The loup has silvery to shadowy gray fur that blends into Gevaudan's fog, and is a cunning and ferocious hunter. It is an apex predator, and its terrifying howl is an all too common sound on Gevaudan. It has no fear of humans, and a scary number of fatal attacks and disappearances are attributed to it each year. The loup's intelligent behavior (it enjoys scaring and chasing prey, avoids obvious weapons, and can open unlocked doors, among other things) has raised the idea that it may be sentient. Captive loups are fast learners (but violent) and pass the "mirror test" for self-recognition; research into their deeper intelligence is ongoing, and is the subject of much scientific and philosophical debate.

Gevaudan is defended by the 5th Guard Brigade, better known as the Werewolves. The unit badge is a rampant loup on a blood-red shield; this represents their home world, protective role, and hard experience in battle. The Werewolves saw the worst of both the Shark War and Jihad, and today are easily the most hardened soldiers in the Republic, with many veteran and elite components.

Gevaudan's history was relatively uneventful until the Shark War, when Clan Diamond Shark invaded both Gevaudan and Provence. The Werewolves were initially pushed back, but soon dug in their heels and began making the Sharks pay for every farm and town. The Sharks were finally driven back to their drop zones with the arrival of the 1st Errant (Iron Masks) division, but it was still the Werewolves who bore the brunt of the fighting. The combat experience proved valuable; when the Jihad came, the Blakists were able to land in force, but the Werewolves' ferocious defense of the planetary capital blunted their assault. The result was an epic siege rivaling such ancient battles as Verdun and Leningrad, which resulted in the Republic's first use of WMD's in counter to Blakist chemical attacks. The siege was lifted following a naval battle and the landing of the 2nd Errant (Swordbreakers) division. The old planetary capital was effectively destroyed, along with much of the economic and societal infrastructure; recovery has been a slow process, and is still ongoing today.

The people of Gevaudan tend to be a little more rural in manner and sober in outlook than most in the Republic. This is due to the combination of their environment with the ugly experiences their world has faced. Accordingly, they are also more exuberant when they cut loose, such as during the Carnival.

Last edited by Shades of Grey on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:19 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
The result was an epic siege rivaling such ancient battles as Verdun and Leningrad, which resulted in the Republic's first use of WMD's in counter to Blakist chemical attacks.
Great reference to other story. Thanks :D

[i]You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.[/i]

[url=http://www.mekwars.org][u]MekWars[/u][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:50 pm 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

If you haven't noticed already, my stories often refer to each other. It's part of establishing continuity in a faction. For example, the main character in the "Total War" story was also in another story before that one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:05 am 
The Walkin' Dude
The Walkin' Dude

Whoa...these are really cool. I can't wait to see the other ones, Grey...keep up the great work.

EDIT: Quick question, what's the date-stamp on these, so to speak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:24 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

I haven't entirely decided yet. Definitely post-Jihad, after things have had some time to settle down. I am thinking 3100ish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:00 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

odd question, but was the planet named for the loup, or was it a conincidence? ;)

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:21 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

Quote:
odd question, but was the planet named for the loup, or was it a conincidence? ;)
Yes. :wink: