Master Sergeant Oskar Adolfsson RFL-3N Rifleman
Sergeant Major Lasse Hietala SHD-2H Shadow Hawk
Master Sergeant Dag Eriksen PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk

Recon Lance
Chu-i Simon Paterson PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk
Master Sergeant Daniel Olsson STG-3R Stinger
Sergeant Major Egil HellesØ WSP-1A Wasp
Master Sergeant Viljo Ahonen WSP-1A Wasp

Phalan in 2952. Lyran Commonwealth's major counter attack against Draconis Combine is beginning to show results. Problems of LCAF's battlefield effectiveness have largely been solved, as DCMS defenders on Phalan have learned through hard way. What appeared to be successful counterattack by DCMS 'Mech battalion, proved to be well executed trap. Now survivors of 'Mech battalion are surrounded by Lyran combined arms forces as full Lyran 'Mech battalion attacks last major spaceport still under Draconis control.
Appearance of Lyran 'Mech battalion just west of the spaceport came as complete surprise. As heavy combat took place elsewhere, DCMS didn't expect anything more than raids against the spaceport. Another surprise is direction of attack, that comes through dense forest, and tall hills. Two regular 'Mech lances and conventional militia forces, combat vehicle battalion and mechanized infantry battalion, move out to meet this threat as remaining DropShips in 'port prepare for lift off.

MechWarrior Viljo Ahonen jumps his Wasp on top of tall hill for lookout.
"Ahonen here, I have contacts. Looks like light company. They're still in forest, and closing rapidly. Nothing else in sight... yet."
"So close already." Speed of enemy force in this terrain surprised tai-i Lagerlöf. "Looks like they don't want give us time to prepare our defense. This is not typical Lyran social general we're dealing with."
Lagerlöf changes his radio to militia's frequency. "Tai-i Lagerlöf to sho-sho. Full company of scout 'Mechs are emerging from forest shortly. Heavier enemy forces are still out of detection range, but they are likely coming." Without waiting for confirmation, Lagerlöf switches back to frequency of his 'Mechs.
"...believe this!" came Ahonen's voice over radio. "Those 'Mechs look like new, all of them! No scratch in paint or anything. Those haven't been in combat on this planet. I guess they are reserve force that were just waiting for perfect opening... like this!"
"That might well be. What are we exactly up against?"
"Locusts, Commandos and Firestarters, full lance of each."
"Understood. Relay the information to militia, and keep them posted."

Militia hovercrafts take the point. Lance of Saracens and another lance of Condors lead the way. With their long range weaponry, they are well suited to engage enemy force and hopefully buy time for slower vehicles to get in positions. However, speed puts up demand for militia equipment, that is often at bottom of the list for spare parts. One Condor breaks down.
Enemy 'Mechs emerge from forest. Battle begins. Saracens are first to open fire with their Long-Range Missiles. Armed APC hovercrafts deploy infantry while tanks take positions on hills that give them good field of fire.
"Sho-sho to tai-i Lagerlöf. Vedette lances Alpha and Bravo will take and secure hills. Give them support."
"Lagerlöf here. Command lance with me. Scout lance, secure north flank."
Lyran scout 'Mechs meet the advancing Combine forces on and around the hills. Combat hovercrafts are in thick of the battle as they keep pressure in northern side of Lyran 'Mechs. Pegasus hovercrafts observe closely seeking for opening to rush in and use their devastating short range weaponry against any 'Mech that gets too far from others.
"Ahonen here. 'Mechs moving towards south. They are going to flank militia down there!"
Lagerlöf bit his lip. "I'll take care of them. Hietala with me."
As Catapult and Shadow Hawk move towards south to intercept flanking force, heavy combat takes place on and around hill nearby.
"Eriksen here. Enemy is concentrating on hill below me. We are outnumbered and outgunned. Taking heavy damage. Can't hold it!"
"Lagerlöf to Eriksen. Delay and retreat."
"Ahonen here. Looks like hover company is going to circle behind them." Indeed, all hovercrafts circle around the hill where concentration of enemy 'Mechs is thickest, and strike at them with all they got.
Meanwhile Adolfsson's Shadow Hawk, followed by platoon of Vedettes, engages enemy force of three Locusts. He takes heavy fire and falls down. All Locusts get through, only to end up against Lagerlöf's Catapult and pair of militia Partisan tanks. Heavy APC hovercrafts, armed with Short-Range Missiles, also take part to battle.
"Lagerlöf to Adolfsson. There is Locust approaching your rear!"
One hit from Locust's laser would be enough to penetrate Rifleman's weak rear armor and make critical damage. Luckily, Locust's shot went wide off. Adolfsson flips his 'Mech's arms backwards, and his aim is in place as Large Laser penetrates Locust's chest. "Took care of him! What the..."
Adolfsson was cut off by loud explosion. "Adolfsson here. Militia just nailed Commando! Blew up sky high!"
"Good for them. Eriksen, what's your status?"
"Eriksen here. I'm alive and made it out. One Firestarter jumped after me, and landed at middle of infantry. Took only minor damage though."
"Ahonen here. Hate to bring bad news, but there are more 'Mechs coming out of woods. Whole medium company... make it fourteen 'Mechs. Repeat, fourteen 'Mechs. Griffin lance, two Dervish and rest are Wolverines."
"Copy. What others are doing?"
"Some militia forces are changing positions and... wait a moment! Lyran lights are retreating!"
"Not all of them. Two Firestarters inbound!"
"Oh crap!" Eriksen shouts as his Phoenix Hawk misses kick and falls. As he tries get his 'Mech standing, half buried rock slips out from below of 'Mech's leg, and Eriksen falls yet again.
"Damn it, stop fooling around!" Lagerlöf curses as Eriksen fails his attempt to get up.
"This is Ahonen. Militia reports that they have destroyed one of the Locusts that got through. There is still one on the run between us and spaceport. One Firestarter is heading same way."
"Good! But here Firestarter burned down one infantry platoon near me. Tell them to get other platoon outta there!"
"Understood. I'm on it."
As APC heads towards infantry, Firestarter jumps next to infantry them. "Command lance, take him down!" Lagerlöf didn't need say twice. All command lance 'Mechs, along with many militia combat vehicles, open fire. But not before Firestarter kills another infantry platoon. "Damn! Too late!"
"Ahonen to Paterson. There is lone Locust heading your way. Wanna take it down?"
Simon Paterson's Phoenix Hawk is hiding under water, along with Daniel Olsson's Stinger. "Sure thing. Tell me when he gets close enough."
"Now!"
Lagerlöf himself has good view to running Locust. He grinned as Paterson's Phoenix Hawk emerges from depths of small lake, and brings his weapons to bear. Paterson isn't onlyone attacking the Locust: several Militia vehicles are also shooting at it, including Pegasus that makes attack run at its weak rear. "Paterson here. Locust is history, but this score goes for militia. I didn't hit with anything!"
"And more bad news." comes Ahonen's voice over radio. "Their medium 'Mechs are out of forest, and several light ones have linked up with them. Half of mediums are coming towards middle of our line and is flanked by several smaller groups. How long do you think we can hold them?"
Lagerlöf himself has good view to most of the battlefield. He fires both LRM racks at nearest Wolverine, and misses. He curses silently, then responds. "Three more minutes. Then we are out." Meanwhile Wolverine kicks immobile Saracen, leaving hovercraft's front end foot sized hole.

"Adolfsson here, I change position." As Adolfsson moves his Rifleman in order to bring it partially behind the hill, Firestarter moves behind of him. Firestarter takes great volumes of fire losing its leg. "Hahaa! He tried stab my back, but suffered himself!"
Full lance of Wolverines are approaching at Lagerlöf's command lance. In nearby hill on south, single Wolverine is attacking militia forces on that hill. Firestarter is nearby, harassing the militia.
"Lagerlöf to command lance. We secure hill on south, then we take care of those Wolverines. Move out!"
"Hietala here. I'll take care of Firestarter."
As three 'Mechs move towards hill in south, Wolverines reach ridge at foot of the hill. Wolverines don't have good line of sight becouse of intervening woods, but two Griffins have. They concentrate their fire on Rifleman, and Adolfsson returns fire.
"HellesØ here! We got Firestarter! It..."
As HellesØ was speaking, loud bang rang over radio.
"Hietala here! Rifleman is down! Oh no... its head is gone!"
Lagerlöf curses silently as his missiles miss Wolverine. "Stay focused people. Now is NOT time for funerals!"
"Ahonen here. Rest of the battalion is coming from woods. Centurions and Thunderbolts, lance each, Archer and Rifleman."
"This just keeps getting better and better." mutters Lagerlöf as he fires lasers on nearby Wolverine, and misses.

"Hietala here. Wolverines are on the hill and literally stomping on tanks there. I gave shot at them, and missed."
"Do what you can. Lagerlöf out." As Lagerlöf was speaking, he tracked down Wolverine and fired his lasers. His Catapult shook under missile onslaught as nearby Commando... no, TWO Commandos returned fire. Armor blew pieces and alarms shrieked as gyroscope fights desperately to keep the heavy 'Mech upright... succeeded. Much louder explosion sounded nearby that is followed by rising black smoke over treetops.
"Boss, I got Wolverine, and militia boys nailed Commando!" Hietala laughed hysterically. Other MechWarriors report about other Wolverine that was blown up. HellesØ had performed successful Death From Above against prone Wolverine, which seems to be possibly out of action. Lagerlöf smiles as he moves his 65 ton Catapult towards running Commando, and swings 'Mech's leg at it. Missed!
"Paterson here. I have good sight on two Griffins. I'll charge them."
"Lagerlöf here. Hit them hard!"
Lagerlöf maneuvers his Catapult into woods that he hopes to give him some decent cover. As he seeks target for his Long-Range Missiles, lone Wolverine rush right at him. Lagerlöf triggers his lasers at the 'Mech, and grins as two lasers hit center vaporizing armor and exposing the internal structure. But Wolverine keeps coming. At the last moment Wolverine turns to evade collision, and moves to Catapult's damaged right side. Wolverine retaliates by firing all its weapons. Two missiles hit Catapult's right leg removing last traces of armor there. Wolverine brings its leg for kick and hits Catapult's already savaged right leg. Before damage registers in Catapult's instruments, Lagerlöf somehow manages to swing right side missile launcher towards Wolverine, hitting it to right side of torso. Then alarms went off and red lights light up as information of right leg's condition comes through onboard computers. Lagerlöf has barely time to see that upper leg actuator is damaged as he tries desperately balance his heavy 'Mech, but to no avail. Catapult crashes down to ground head first. Seat harnesses draw wounds to Lagerlöf's shoulders.
"Lagerlöf to all 'Mechs! I'm down and need immediate assistance! Command Lance, converge on my position!"
"Eriksen here. I'm coming with both Wasps, but Stinger has lost leg."
"Lagerlöf to Olsson! If you can hear me, get off your 'Mech, board friendly APC and get off the battlezone as soon as possible!"
"Olsson here. I copy. I'll contact them. Out."

By now more than two Lyran 'Mech companies were reduced to about size of one company. Lyran 'Mechs have scattered over wide area to small groups and even individual 'Mechs. Draconis forces took advantage of this situation: militia does concentrated attack runs with their hovercrafts, and Paterson's short range attack with his Phoenix Hawk severely damaged two Griffins. However, militia takes its share of casualties at alarming rate and remaining operational units are running low of ammo. APC hovercraft drives towards Stinger, and Olsson hurries towards it only to see its skirt blown pieces by nearby Commando. Olsson takes cover inside the damaged hovercraft, and hopes enemy 'Mechs won't pay too much attention to it.

Lagerlöf gets his Catapult up and moving while Hietala moves his Shadow Hawk to cover Catapult's damaged right leg.
"Paterson here. Heavy 'Mechs have cleared woods and are closing in range! I'm outta here!"
As Lagerlöf moves his 'Mech through battlefield, he notices several burning hulks of what used to be combat vehicles and BattleMechs. Then he checks enemy positions and headings. He notices that he is potential target for several Wolverines and one Firestarter that was hidden behind hill.
"Lagerlöf to all 'Mechs. Heavy resistance down here. Converge on my position. All 'Mechs, converge on my position immediately!"
As Lagerlöf fires his lasers against Firestarter, he hears cursing over radio that can belong only to MechWarrior Lasse Hietala.
"Perkele! My 'Hawk's leg is badly damaged! I might not get this up anymore!"
He did, but his movement suggests damaged hip. Lagerlöf himself moves as fast as he can with his damaged leg. To his relief, enemy 'Mechs have ceased pursuing him and are instead concentrating on militia Vedette lance that has started its retreat. Lagerlöf flips his Catapult's arms around, and fires both missile launchers against Wolverine. Many other 'Mechs and militia combat vehicles shoot on same target. Wolverine's armor shatters pieces under heavy hits, and it falls down.
"Good job people! Now let's take care rest of them and get to Hell out of here before heavy 'Mechs get here."

Olsson sighed relief as enemy 'Mechs passed by without shooting at APC he is hiding in. After some waiting other APC came towards him.
"Guys, there is other APC coming! Let's get there!" Olsson shouted cheerfully.
"Nah." said sergeant. "We'll stay here and give one shot at anything that happens to pass by our arc of fire, then surrender."
"Suit yourselves."
Olsson came out waving his hands. APC slowed down, opened door and Olsson scrambled in. "Thanks! I am MechWarrior Daniel Olsson. Can you give me ride to spaceport?"
"Sure thing. Hang on."
Olsson took his walkie-talkie radio. "Olsson here. I've got ride... and there are Thunderbolts in firing range! Cover me!"

As two Wolverines fell out of action, remaining 'Mechs gave up chase of Lagerlöf's Catapult and Hietala's Shadow Hawk. Instead they concentrate on militia vehicles. Lagerlöf and Hietala brought their 'Mechs around, providing support fire with their Long-Range Missiles. Both Phoenix Hawks had reached their location, and engage enemy with their lasers.
"DEATH FROM ABOVE!" HellesØ scremed, and his Wasp leaped to air.
"What the... Your leg without armor!" Paterson screamed.
By the time HellesØ reached his inteded target, Wolverine that is just standing still, militia had already destroyed it. HellesØ evaded the falling wreck, but landed clumsily and fell.
"Ok, that wasn't good idea. Give me some covering fire!"
Then other voice came over radio. "Olsson here. I've got ride... and there are Thunderbolts in firing range! Cover me!"
"Ahonen here. I'm on lookout and I see them. I see also Derv to nort of you, and Commando to east. Drive south, then east and you'll be hidden from most of them. Remaining Condor is engaging Commando, and I'll provide support as needed."
"Paterson here. I'll lend hand for militia."
Using bulk of tall hill cover his flank, Paterson close in to short range of nearest Wolverine. HellesØ got his Wasp up and moved past Paterson. Concentrated fire breached Wolverine's armor and whole 'Mech blew up when ammo cooked off. But from distance more enemy 'Mechs are closing in.
"Ahonen here. I'm down without leg, and Commando is still standing. Need immediate support!"
"Lagerlöf to all 'Mechs. We are out of here! Patersen and Hietala will cover our retreat, everyone else rendezvous with Ahonen on the double!"
Lagerlöf's Catapult and Eriksen's Phoenix Hawk rounded the hill, and at the same time hovercrafts approached from other side of the hill right at Commando. At sight of so much firepower, Commando took reverse gear and backed away. Long range weapons brought it down before it got out of range.
In the meantime Ahonen boards APC. "I'm in with Olsson and ready get to Hell out of here."
"Lagerlöf here. We are clear. Let's hurry to spaceport while we still can."
Some long range shots were fired at fleeing 'Mechs and militia vehicles, but they didn't do any serious damage.

DropShips still weren't ready for take off when Lagerlöf led his 'Mechs to nearest of them. Spaceport perimeter managed to hold off remaining light and medium enemy 'Mechs. Lagerlöf and his 'Mechs simply didn't have much left to fight with: three 'Mechs were left to field and remaining five 'Mechs are too heavily damaged to fight against heavy Lyran 'Mechs. Even without them, spaceport defenses managed to slow enemy advance. In middle of fighting, DropShips finally made emergency take off taking minor armor damage. They were clear.

[i]You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.[/i]

[url=http://www.mekwars.org][u]MekWars[/u][/url]

Last edited by Matti on Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:26 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

During Star League era, Star Lord -class JumpShip Valkyrie used to be part of interstellar merchant corporation. Valkyrie was in Rasalhague District of Draconis Combine when First Succession War began. Valkyrie's crew tried make contact to their employer in Terran Hegemony, but failed. Thus Valkyrie's captain declared himself free trader in order to keep ship running and maintained. When captain learned that ship's parent corporation had collapsed, he declared Valkyrie to be property of his family, and this fact hasn't changed in time of three Succession Wars.
Valkyrie has five Union-class DropShips. Four are used for what they are designed for. Fifth has been modified to function as improved quarters for ship's crew and her passengers. Its rotation provides artificial gravity, which is very vital for Valkyrie's crew: most of the ship's crew are families, and artificial gravity is required for growing children and pregnant crewmembers. For these reasons DropShip has best medical facilities and equipment that are available for DropShips, and then some. Now during Third Succssion War, Valkyrie has been commandeered by Draconis Combine Admiralty for military operations.

"Are you done yet?" Jacob Lagerlöf asked.
"Almost, hold still." doctor answered. "That's it, we're done."
Lagerlöf was pulled out from magnetic resonance imaging chamber. He was offered clean shirt, and he took it. He began dressing up.
"How does it look? Do I stay alive?"
Doctor chuckled at that remark. "There is no immediate danger. Your shoulders are stressed, but I guess that's normal battle fatigue for MechWarrior who crashed down along with his 'Mech. I estimate you being in much better shape than your 'Mech is."
"Hah! You seem to know how to cheer up your patients."
"That's part of my..." door shifted open "...job."
Man walks in whom Lagerlöf recognizes as dai-i Shotugama, DCA officer who works as liaison aboard Valkyrie. His features are full oriental, and on his hip is holster holding heavy automatic pistol. He is followed by woman, whom Lagerlöf recognizes as Ida Erikson, Valkyrie's captain. Although her name is what could be expected from native of Rasalhague District, her physical features are everything else, literally.
"Tai-i Lagerlöf." Shotugama said, slowly.
"Dai-i Shotugama." Lagerlöf answered.
Shotugama's face showed irritation, like he had been interrupted in mid-sentence.
"Tai-i. Why are you here? Were you ordered to leave your post?"
"So you want hear my report. Tai-sa ordered counterattack against invading Lyran forces. He ordered command and recon elements of my company to guard the spaceport. We got transmission from battalion that their mission had failed and they were cut off from spaceport. That was last thing I heard from them, which suggests that their radio transmissions were being jammed. Soon after full Lyran 'Mech battalion, which I have estimated to be reserve element, attacked the spaceport from unlikely direction. Militia and my command moved out to meet them as DropShips in 'port were fueled for emergency launch. By the time militia's forces were overrun, my command had left only five functioning 'Mechs. All are seriously damaged and my Catapult had ran out of ammo. But we managed to delay Lyrans enough so at least Valkyrie's DropShips made it out. We were in no condition to keep fighting. We boarded DropShip so Lyrans wouldn't get our remaining 'Mechs to their arsenal. Thus I conclude my report."
"Tai-i Lagerlöf. That series of excuses that you call report is unacceptable! You had left planet without permission! That is punishable by death!"
Shotugama turned to face captain Erikson.
"And you captain! You allowed that coward and his men to come back here without proper authorizations! For that I'll make sure that your ship will be confiscated to property of DCA!"
As Shotugama shouted, Lagerlöf reached towards his boot.
"You won't live long enough to do that." Erikson answered calmly without blinking.
Shotugama's face turned red. "Do you dare threaten me you cross-bred, mongrel, bastard for woman!? You wouldn't dare to kill me!"
Erikson answered calmly: "I don't." She glanced over Shotugama's shoulder towards Lagerlöf. "But he will."
Shotugama turned around sharply while reaching for his weapon. Lagerlöf fired his small pistol he had pulled from holster around his ankle. Shotugama's eyes widened, he stumbled and fell to floor, his uniform's left breast soaked with blood. Lagerlöf sat down on table of MRI scanner and laid his pistol next to him.
"I've had enough of serving the Dragon."
"Me too." Erikson answered without any change on her voice or face. "We'll jump to uninhabited star system, where we have time to think what we are going to do from now."

[i]You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:48 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Lagerlöf had asked in for conference his three senior MechWarriors: sergeant major Lasse Hietala of his command lance, and chu-i Simon Paterson and sergeant major Egil HellesØ of his recon lance. Captain Ida Erikson had summoned in her most senior crew of eight people, including herself. At conference were also four lead support personnel of what used to be DCMS 'Mech battalion, headed by chief petty officer Dean Marlow. At the beginning of the conference, Lagerlöf declared that he will create mercenary unit from what he can get from remains of his 'Mech company and battalion's support assets. All three MechWarriors agreed to follow him. Marlow agreed to join the unit, and find out who else from support staff wants to come along. Captain Erikson agreed to give them passage to Galatea.
Issue about 'Mech battalion's supplies and spare parts led to noisy debate about who gets what. Captain Erikson, with patience of 58 year old leader, waited for others to blow out their breath. When volume of shouting had settled down, she called in tea, coffee and various dishes, that were served by senior children of the crew, including her own grandchildren. When everyone else were eating, captain Erikson presented them economy statistics of her ship, current funds and their needs. In 15 minutes Lagerlöf had learned more about economies of free trader and expenses of JumpShip and DropShip maintenance than he had learned in his whole life. He might have some use for such information when leading mercenary unit. In addition captain Erikson pointed out that none of them had legal rights for anything of battalion's hardware. But neither had former DCA officer right to threaten MechWarriors with execution, nor had he right to command her ship like it were his own, and without sufficient pay for her services. Above all, she was grateful for brave MechWarriors, who had bought enough time for her DropShips to prepare for take off.
When everything was said and people started leaving, Lagerlöf was surprisedly pleased that his share from profits of supplies and parts would be enough to restore his command at least back to full two 'Mech lances. Assuming his three other MechWarriors would join him. In addition he would have full tech support for all 'Mechs, and enough supplies, parts and cash to keep his unit ready for contract over a year.

As people were leaving, Lagerlöf asked Hietala and Marlow stay in the room.
When everyone else had left, Marlow began "I assume you want to talk about postponed repairs of Shadow Hawk."
"Yes." Lagerlöf replied. "I think we have good opportunity to upgrade her weaponry."
Marlow raised his eyebrow. "What do you have in mind?"
"This." Lagerlöf handled Marlow PDA that displays record sheet, made with 'Mech design program.
Marlow's mouth and eyes opened wide. "Bloody Hell! This is nuts!"
"What? Show me!" Hietala said and grabbed PDA from Marlow's hand. "Saa-ta-na."
Lagerlöf recognized Hietala's word as curse, but from his voice and face he could tell that he was in awe.
"Can it be done?" Lagerlöf asked.
Marlow looked uneasy. "It's easy for you to make that up with HeavyMetal Pro. It's not that easy in practice. It can be done, but I can't do it. At least not with the resources I have at my disposal in here. I could give it a try, but I'd recommend to wait until we reach Galatea, and use local workshops and expertise."
"All right. I'll ask captain Erikson if she knows any reliable and competent firm there for the job." Lagerlöf didn't need ask Hietala's opinion. It was all over his face.
Code:
               BattleMech Technical Readout

Type/Model:    Shadow Hawk SHD-2LH
Tech:          Inner Sphere / 3025
Config:        Biped BattleMech
Rules:         Level 1, Custom design

Mass:          55 tons
Chassis:       Lang T1 Standard
Power Plant:   275 Core Tek Fusion
Walking Speed: 54,0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86,4 km/h
Jump Jets:     3 Pitban LFT-50 Standard Jump Jets
Jump Capacity: 90 meters
Armor Type:    Maximillian 43 Standard
Armament:      
  2 Medium Lasers
  1 LRM 5
  1 PPC
  1 Flamer
  1 SRM 2
Manufacturer:  Lang Industries Incorporated
Communications System:  O/P 300 COMSET
Targeting & Tracking System:  O/P 2000A

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type/Model:    Shadow Hawk SHD-2H
Mass:          55 tons

Equipment:                                 Crits    Mass
Int. Struct.:  91 pts Standard               0      5,50
Engine:        275 Fusion                    6     15,50
   Walking MP:   5
   Running MP:   8
   Jumping MP:   3
Heat Sinks:     12 Single                    1      2,00
 (Heat Sink Loc: 1 RT)
Gyro:                                        4      3,00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors:                5      3,00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H    R: Sh+UA+LA+H   16       ,00
Armor Factor:  152 pts Standard              0      9,50

Internal    Armor
                          Structure   Value
   Head:                      3          9      
   Center Torso:             18         23      
   Center Torso (Rear):                  8      
   L/R Side Torso:           13      18/18      
   L/R Side Torso (Rear):              6/6      
   L/R Arm:                   9      16/16      
   L/R Leg:                  13      16/16      

Weapons and Equipment    Loc  Heat  Ammo   Crits    Mass
--------------------------------------------------------
1 Medium Laser           RA      3           1      1,00
1 LRM 5                  RT      2   24      2      3,00
  (Ammo Locations: 1 RT)
1 PPC                    LT     10           3      7,00
1 Medium Laser           LT      3           1      1,00
1 Flamer                 LT      3           1      1,00
1 SRM 2                  HD      2   50      2      2,00
  (Ammo Locations: 1 CT)
3 Standard Jump Jets:                        3      1,50
 (Jump Jet Loc: 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 CT)
TOTALS:                         23          45     55,00
Crits & Tons Left:                          33       ,00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        4 722 281 C-Bills
Battle Value:      950
Cost per BV:       4 970,82
Weapon Value:      611 / 611 (Ratio = ,64 / ,64)
Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 10;  MRDmg = 9;  LRDmg = 4
BattleForce2:      MP: 5,  Armor/Structure: 4/5
                   Damage PB/M/L: 2/1/1,  Overheat: 1
                   Class: MM;  Point Value: 10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:01 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Travel to Galatea wasn't boring for Jacob Lagerlöf. He had plenty of things to do. He had renamed his and Simon Paterson's ranks. Now Lagerlöf is captain and Paterson is lieutenant. Valkyrie had extensive library of both digital and printed books, documents, reports and notes along with audio and video files. Valkyrie had transported mercenaries before, and Lagerlöf carefully studied all details of those records while taking copies and notes. Lagerlöf also studied history records and cross-referenced particular details from various sources. As he had expected, records of Draconis Combine about itself and Lyran Commonwealth were radically different when compared to ones made by ComStar and others. There were several items about Draconis Combine that made Lagerlöf feel sick: executions in Rasalhague ordered by Jason Kurita in 2375, nuclear bombing of planet Helm of Free Worlds League and massacre of civilian population of planet Kentares IV of Federated Suns in First Succession War.
"So this is the great Draconis Combine I have served" Lagerlöf had said quietly.

By the time Valkyrie reached Galatea, Lagerlöf and his top officers had done everything they could aboard Valkyrie. They had chosen spare parts they would need, along with techs, infantry and transport assets. From sold parts unit had got enough C-Bills to buy either two heavy 'Mechs, or three smaller ones. Lagerlöf decided to postpone his decision until he had found another MechWarrior to his unit. He started looking for records of MechWarriors for hire.

Mercenary's Tankard
Galaport
Galatea
Lyran Commonwealth

Mercenary's Tankard is small pub near outskirts of Galaport and not overly crowded. It seems like hangout for people who don't want advertise themselves. Little out of place for MechWarrior who is looking for job. Lagerlöf sits at end of long bar table and orders drink.
"What can you tell me about woman over there?" Lagerlöf asked from bartender.
"Officially she is mercenary for hire. Why, do you want hire her?"
"Yes. I've read public record of her. But to be honest, this seems unlikely place for experienced MechWarrior to look for job."
"Maybe that's the way she likes it." bartender said with shrug. "Doesn't want to be bothered by every recruiter of wannabe merc unit."
"In that case, I'd better buy her drink first. Thank you."
As bartender goes fill her glass, Lagerlöf walks towards her. "Excuse me, may I sit here?"
"What do you want?" MechWarrior Zhen Zhou answered, clearly irritated.
"Buy you drink." Lagerlöf asnwered with smile while sitting down on chair. "According your record, you are MechWarrior for hire. I want hire you."
"All right. Becouse you have bothered to come all the way here, I might as well listen what you have to offer."
"I am captain Jacob Lagerlöf, commanding officer of Lagerlöf's Grenadiers. Right now I have six MechWarriors, five 'Mechs and enough C-Bills to hire you and buy two heavy 'Mechs. That would make two full lances, one medium, one heavy. In addition I have two recovery vehicles and full tech support. I'll arrange complete repairs for your Clint and possibly weapon upgrade, with your permission. I pay your debts, up to 10k C-Bills. And you'll get above average pay. So what'll it be?"
"Very generous. I bet you are just getting started. Am I right?"
"All right, you won another drink." Lagerlöf said with wide smile and ordered her drink.
"How did you end up being merc?"
"Matter of survival. Lyran 'Mech battalion kicked us hard on Phalan. My two lances, or what was left of them, made it to merchant JumpShip where DCA asshole threatened with execution. He didn't live to carry it out."
"Listen kid. My story is much alike. Many soldiers become mercenaries like that. It might buy you some more time to live, but not much else. Unless you're lucky. It sounds like you survived through major battle and got away with tech and transport assets of your former unit. But know this: being mercenary can be much more difficult. If you pull out stunt like that while under contract, ComStar will spread word of your failure and no one will ever hire you. No one, except maybe bandit kings of Periphery. Maybe. On the otherhand, if you lose your combat assets, you won't have anything left to fight with. I have been in number of merc units that have gone under both ways and other ways. That DCA officer likely promised more than he could had carried out. But if you ever end up fighting snakes and are captured, you'll be dead for sure. Do you understand?"
Lagerlöf took long drink of beer and nodded. "I understand. So I'm kid, huh? You make it sound like my unit needs babysitter. Do you take the job?"
Zhou laughed out loud and slapped Lagerlöf to shoulder. "All right kid. I'll be your babysitter. What was that you said about upgrading my 'Mech?"
Lagerlöf handed Zhou PDA.
"This is nuts! I like it! Assuming someone can pull it through."
"I know someone who did similar job for Shadow Hawk week ago. And even though you outrank me with experience, I outrank you in command. Do you understand, MechWarrior Zhou?"
"I understand, captain kid." Zhou said with grin.
Code:
Type/Model:    Clint CLNT-2-Zhou
Tech:          Inner Sphere / 3025
Config:        Biped BattleMech
Rules:         Level 1, Custom design

Mass:          40 tons
Chassis:       Andoran Model III Standard
Power Plant:   240 Pitban Fusion
Walking Speed: 64,8 km/h
Maximum Speed: 97,2 km/h
Jump Jets:     6 Andoran Model JJII Standard Jump Jets
Jump Capacity: 180 meters
Armor Type:    Durallex Medium Standard
Armament:      
  1 PPC
  2 Medium Lasers
Manufacturer:  Andoran Industries Limited
Communications System:  Raldon R1
Targeting & Tracking System:  Sloane 220 Lockover System

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type/Model:    Clint CLNT-2-Zhou
Mass:          40 tons

Equipment:                                 Crits    Mass
Int. Struct.:  67 pts Standard               0      4,00
Engine:        240 Fusion                    6     11,50
   Walking MP:   6
   Running MP:   9
   Jumping MP:   6
Heat Sinks:     12 Single                    3      2,00
 (Heat Sink Loc: 1 RA, 2 RT)
Gyro:                                        4      3,00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors:                5      3,00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H    R: Sh+UA+LA     15       ,00
Armor Factor:   72 pts Standard              0      4,50

Internal    Armor
                          Structure   Value
   Head:                      3          9      
   Center Torso:             12         11      
   Center Torso (Rear):                  4      
   L/R Side Torso:           10        6/6      
   L/R Side Torso (Rear):              4/4      
   L/R Arm:                   6        6/6      
   L/R Leg:                  10        8/8      

Weapons and Equipment    Loc  Heat  Ammo   Crits    Mass
1 PPC                    RA     10           3      7,00
1 Medium Laser           LT      3           1      1,00
1 Medium Laser           CT      3           1      1,00
6 Standard Jump Jets:                        6      3,00
 (Jump Jet Loc: 1 LT, 1 RT, 2 LL, 2 RL)
TOTALS:                         16          44     40,00
Crits & Tons Left:                          34       ,00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        3 676 680 C-Bills
Battle Value:      781
Cost per BV:       4 707,66
Weapon Value:      363 / 363 (Ratio = ,46 / ,46)
Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 11;  MRDmg = 7;  LRDmg = 2
BattleForce2:      MP: 6J,  Armor/Structure: 2/3
                   Damage PB/M/L: 2/1/1,  Overheat: 1
                   Class: MM;  Point Value: 8
For game purposes, Zhou's skills are 3/3 making her veteran. Complete TO&E will follow when I learn how many techs I'm likely to need. Trucks and stuff will be part of it as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:02 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Mercenary offices
Galaport
Galatea

Lead personnel and all MechWarriors of Lagerlöf's Grenadiers walk in the conference room. Captain Lagerlöf had tour of room and its equipment before renting it for use, so he can use unfamiliar computer equipment without too much hassle. He starts computer and videoprojector, inserts memory card into computer and opens file that shows unit's 'Mech assets.

Command Lance
Captain Jacob Lagerlöf CPLT-C1 Catapult
MechWarrior Daniel Olsson TDR-5S Thunderbolt
Sergeant Lasse Hietala SHD-2LH Shadow Hawk
MechWarrior Viljo Ahonen MAD-3R Marauder

Recon Lance
Lieutenant Simon Paterson PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk
MechWarrior Zhen Zhou CLNT-2-Zhou Clint
Sergeant Egil HellesØ WSP-1A Wasp
MechWarrior Dag Eriksen PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk

"You know the 'Mechs and other equipment at our disposal. Now is time to talk about how we use them. Lieutenant Paterson will remain in lead of recon lance. Other members of lance will be sergeant HellesØ and MechWarriors Eriksen and Zhou. All other MechWarriors and their 'Mechs will be command lance. Lances are divided to two elements each. I call each element as section. Section leaders are lance commanders and sergeants. Olsson will be with me, Ahonen with Hietala, Zhou with Paterson and Eriksen with HellesØ. Everything clear this far?" People answer with nod.
"Members of section are to work together and cover each others backs. I demand line of sight at all times when operating in hostile territory. If one of the two gets in trouble and can't transmit for some reason, other will be in position to help and can inform rest of the unit. If given mission doesn't require all our 'Mechs, we select force for mission from sections.
"I give you example scenario of objective raid against supply depot. All of recon lance will recon target area and inform command lance of enemy targets. One section of recon lance will rendezvous with command lance and acts as flanking force in attack. Other section will escort trucks and recovery vehicles. I want sections to be prepared to work in all possible combinations. Any questions or comments this far? Zhou, go ahead."
"I've seen worse force deployments than that. Personally I think this is good overall force deployment strategy for unit of this size. I would swap places of Thunderbolt and Marauder, but I guess you want anti-infantry weapons for every section. If so, go for it."
"Well noticed. I agree that your proposal would be more effective against 'Mechs and armored targets, but I want every section have something against PBI. Anything else?"
Lagerlöf changes view to show unit's infantry and transport assets.

2 Infantry Platoons (Energy)
2 Heavy Hover APC (SRM)
6 Hover APC
2 Hover APC (ambulance)

10 Flatbed Truck
2 J-27
BattleMech Recovery Vehicle
Heavy BattleMech Recovery Vehicle

"Our technical personnel are converting two light APCs to ambulances. Those are stripped from weapons, which gives room for medical equipment. When ready, each is capable to carry up to four most heavily wounded personnel. These vehicles are reserved only for most seriously wounded personnel, who wouldn't live without medical life support. Other wounded are transported in other APC vehicles.
"Trucks are primarily for equipment transportation and salvage operations, but in emergency can be used for personnel transport if APCs are unavailable. Heavy APCs are for our infantry security force in battlefield and salvage operations. Otherwise light APCs are used, when available and transportation of whole platoon is not required. In salvage operations technical personnel will use light APCs. Becouse of their faster speed, techs can get onto scene to perform technical diagnostics for potentially salvageable equipment before arrival of trucks and recovery vehicles. Any questions?
"Much of our future depends on what contracts we get, how we perform on battlefield and what salvage we get. Our primary goal is to hold on what we have right now, and otherwise get equal or near equal replacements. If we are fortunate enough to expand our force, our first goal is to expand our 'Mech force to full company. Until we get 'Mechs and cash to do so, any salvaged 'Mechs we get will be spare units.
"Compliment of third lance will depend much on what salvage we get. If contract allows us to choose our salvage, we'll get first those 'Mechs that most closely matches our 'Mechs. They'll be spare units for lances we have now, and I want at least one spare 'Mech for each lance. After that we can start building third lance.
"'Mechs for third lance will be something between we have now. Recon lance performs recon and command lance delivers heavy punch. Third lance will be pursuit force that outguns recon lance and outruns command lance. Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Trebuchet and Ostsol are what I would like for third lance. If we get that far, we can start looking for acquiring our own DropShip. Any questions or comments? Go ahead Hietala."
"Am I considered for command of third lance?"
"If you live that long. Your Shadow Hawk would be perfect for it. Yes, Kallio?"
Lieutenant Pasi Kallio is in charge of infantry. "I sure hope you aren't going to send us PBI against 'Mechs."
That stirred light laughter.
"Don't worry about it, as long as we have 'Mechs in fight." More laughter. "Seriously though, you will keep working as you have before. You guard our base and prisoners, provide security for salvage ops, assist salvage teams and handle cargo. Same as usual. If we expand infantry to cover heavy battlefield operations, their rides will be Goblins and Maxims. Anything else? MechWarriors, we have training exercise with live ammo the day after tomorrow. Lieutenant Kallio, I want full platoon with light APCs patrol training area perimeter. That's all folks. Dismiss."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Captain Jacob Lagerlöf
Jacob Lagerlöf is relatively young for command of BattleMech company. Battlefield losses had forced DCMS to assign lance and company commanders from training battalions, and even straight from academy. In February of 2952, Lagerlöf's tour in training battalion was over. At age of 22, he was promoted to tai-i and given command of BattleMech company. Lagerlöf prefers training exercises and combat over administration duties. Numerous riot control missions on conquered Lyran worlds have decreased his will for combat somewhat.

Sergeant Lasse Hietala
Lasse Hietala was born and raised in small community which was founded by colonists from region of Terra known as Finland. This community has hold on finnish traditions through centuries, and has extensive library of finnish literature and art. Hietala has carefully studied Finland's history and literature, and he still keeps studying digitalized records of these areas. When he finds something particularly fascinating, he often tells about it to rest of the unit, whether they are interested or not.
Hietala met Jacob Lagerlöf first in military academy. In training battalion they were assigned to same lance, and they have been good friends ever since. In combat Hietala can be often heard cursing in his native language over radio.

Lieutenant Simon Paterson
Simon Paterson served in same training battalion along with Lagerlöf and Hietala, but in different company. Self-confident at tactical level decision, he has skill to use light 'Mech assets with their maximum effectiveness without putting them in too high risk. However, in 2952 on Phalan he lost two 'Mechs against Lyran 'Mech battalion. After careful study of reports from his MechWarriors, he has come to conclusion he is sure he didn't order them on anything he wasn't willing to do himself.

Sergeant Egil HellesØ
Egil HellesØ is aggressive warrior, who prefers physical combat that he calls 'Mech-fu. In 2952 on Phalan he performed death from above attack even though other leg of his Wasp was without armor. Still he managed to limp away from battlefield, unlike two other light 'Mechs of his lance. Despite his recklessness, his skills on battlefield have earned him second in command of recon lance.

MechWarrior Zhen Zhou
Zhen Zhou is 45 year old MechWarrior from Capellan Confederation, but she also has heritage from Free Worlds League. This made her lower class among top CCAF MechWarriors. When her unit failed mission in 2934 and was threatened with severe punishments, she and rest of her battalion become mercenaries. Zhou has served in numerous mercenary units that have all perished, either by combat or by financial problems. One unit went for piracy, and Zhou left it before committing any crimes. Many mercenary units she has served in don't have good reputation, and that reputation has stuck with her. Therefore she isn't even considered by units like Eridani Light Horse. Lagerlöf's Grenadiers seems like her salvation, if unit succeeds. And she'll do everything she can to help it.
Her Clint is family property that was left to her when its previous warrior was killed by PPC shot on 'Mech's head. In her years as mercenary she has mostly experience and little else. Her leadership skills aren't great, but she is 3rd in line for command of recon lance. She has many bad memories from previous units, which have led her drinking, gambling and debts. She don't have children, and now she considers being too old and unfit for motherhood. Becouse of her long experience as mercenary, Captain Jacob Lagerlöf has assigned her to his advisor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:02 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Conference room
Mercenary offices
Galaport
Galatea
Lyran Commonwealth

"Captain Lagerlöf, I presume. Right on time. I am Karl Goethe, negotiator on behalf of Lyran Commonwealth."
Lagerlöf and Goethe shake hands.
"Good to meet you. These are lieutenant Simon Paterson, second in command, and MechWarrior Zhen Zhou, advisor."
Goethe gestures towards chairs. "Please, have a seat."
Goethe takes seat at near end of the table. "Unit roster of yours on MercNet shows that two of your 'Mechs are modified. May I have the statistics?"
Lagerlöf gives PDA to Goethe. Goethe's eyes grow wide. "Oh my... Has anyone told you this is nuts?"
"I have!" Zhou piped in, grinning like idiot.
With anxious look on his face, Goeche starts speaking almost hysterically. "Autocannon replaced with PPC, heat sinks and light weapons. Mass and space stays unchanged. It's so simple that I wonder why anyone hasn't done it before... Oh, excuse me. I used to be astech, so I can appreciate brilliance of this beyond mere firepower. How does these modifications work in practice?"
"Very well." Lagerlöf said. "We found workshop that is specialized for custom jobs like that. There were some glitches in first test run, but those have been corrected and confirmed with another test run."
"That is good to hear." He handles PDA back to Lagerlöf. "I'd like to have some background info about you. Why and how did you become mercenaries, and what did you do before that?"
Lagerlöf looks uneasy. "It can be said that becoming mercenaries was our last card left on hand, besides selling our 'Mechs and retiring from military service for good. All right. With exception of MechWarrior Zhou, all of my command used to serve in DCMS. We got kicked hard by your boys on Phalan and lifted off. Aboard free trader JumpShip, DCA liaison accused me leaving my post and threatened with execution. MechWarrior Zhou is from CCAF, and her story is much alike. Furthermore I would like to say that most of my command are from Rasalhague District, and I dare say we have less love for coordinator than your Skye Rangers have for your archon."
Goethe's face turned from impassive to slight smile. "You seem to know good deal about our political situation. Yes, as native of Skye, I can say we fight more for ourselves than for archon Steiner. I'm not separatist or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if there'll be yet another rebellion in Federation of Skye. As much fun it would be to mock our governments, I'm more interested to know can you go against DCMS, and even your fellow rasalhagians?"
"I have thought about it before, and it's still difficult question. I definitely don't have problem to take on all regiments of Sword of Light, with sufficient back up that is. For now I would like to take contracts against anything else than Rasalhague District, if at all possible."
"I took liberty to create contract offer for you. Right now 17th Skye Rangers is on their homeworld, planet Summer, rebuilding their strength. Since your combat assets are relatively small, I offer you house command as part of the regiment. You'll be placed under command in one of their companies, but you can maintain your organization as it is. Your support personnel, and any supplies you have, are yours to use, but are expected to be available for rest of 17th if they need it. Likewise supplies and parts of 17th will be available to you. Both for fair compensation, of course. Do you find this satisfactory?"
Zhou got ahead before Lagerlöf. "It depends how you define 'fair compensation', and what kind of combat can we expect."
Goeche turns on projector attached to ceiling. Image of spreadsheet program lights up on screen showing information of mercenary contract.
"I don't see battle loss compensation." Zhou commented.
"Ah, I knew I had forgot something. What would you like it to be?"
"With these numbers, 70 percent!" Zhou demanded.
"40 percent will do." Lagerlöf said.
"Hey, who's the expert in here?" Zhou snorted.
Goethe types in 40% for battle loss compensation.
Zhou had irritating look on her face. "Fine, but we require more pay if we are to replace any serious losses. Like BattleMech that gets its ammo shot up."
"Consider it done." Goethe says and increases payment. "Now about transportation. Is it problem for you to find one and reach Summer by end of next month?"
"That free trader I mentioned. It's Star Lord -class, named Valkyrie. I know its schedule, and I can guarantee my unit will make it to Summer in time. Unless your navy decides to commandeer the 'Ship, as DCA did. If there'll be other mercenaries heading the same way, Valkyrie has four Unions to transport them. All of them have plenty of accommodations for personnel, but any combat vehicles are transported as cargo. Valkyrie has one docking collar available for mercenaries with their own DropShip."
"I assure you, we don't commandeer or confiscate any free trader 'Ships. Your term will begin in 1.3.2053. If we are done, I'll print the contract so we can sign it and deliver to ComStar."

Contract Type: Extraction Raid
Contract Length: 7 monthsPay Multiplier: 4,9
Command Rights: House
Overhead Compensation: Full
Salvage Rights: NoneSupport Rights: Both 90%/40% (straight/battle loss compensation)
Transport Rights: Full compensationFinal Total Contract Payment Due (Total Payment Due – Total Pre-Mission Costs + Sign-on Bonus) = 1165660,03 C-bills

Outside mercenary offices
Galaport
Galatea
Lyran Commonwealth

Lagerlöf and his comrades are walking towards their residence. "Now we have contract, and I'm pleased with it. What do you think?"
Zhou snorted. "I'm pleased if we don't lose any of our 'Mechs. If Marauder blows up, all compensation and contract pay is worth about cost of used Centurion. I've took worse contracts than this, but even better contracts have been the last ones for many mercenary commands."
"Then we'll make sure we don't lose any of our 'Mechs." said Paterson. "We'll have at least battalion for back up, and 17th Skye Rangers are among best of the Commonwealth. We'll be fine."
"I hope so." Lagerlöf said with sigh. "If we face another Phalan, our 'Mech force will be halved. I have some contingency plans for that, but I hope we don't need to use them."

(OOC: I used SW3L modifiers from Supplemental II and solitaire negotiation rules for making the contract. I rolled the dices for all contract terms before bargaining process, and used employer to reduce contract length to get points for elsewhere. I almost scrapped the rules when I ended with such a low battle loss compensation, and maybe I should have.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:12 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Spaceport
Curitiba
Summer
Lyran Commonwealth

Captain Jacob Lagerlöf leans at doomjamb of DropShip, takes view around spaceport. Curitiba, capital city of Summer, looms ahead and around the vast spaceport as large as Galaport on Galatea. Warm morning wind sweeps at his face. Platoon of his soldiers walks past him, and he joins them.
"Service here sucks." complained 2nd lieutenant Viktoria Wigburg.
Native of Phalan, she reluctantly joined regular DCMS infantry force shortly before Lyran counter-attack. She stayed at her security post aboard Valkyrie's DropShip by the time of lift off, and narrowly missed her chance to leave the ship and surrender to fellow Lyrans. Besides in charge of Grenadiers' second infantry platoon, she handles most of communications.
"We are here on time, and our welcoming committee isn't. I'll deploy platoon around the 'Ship and let you know when someone decides to come and talk with you."
"Very well." Lagerlöf answered. "I'll take tour around and be nearby."

Two hours later.

"I am hauptmann Iseabail McLeod. I expected you to wait at the DropShip."
Lagerlöf studies the hauptmann. At least 30 years old, she is almost as tall as him and has short blonde hair. Scars on her face and neck suggests battle wounds.
"Hah! You're the one over two hours late!" Zhen Zhou shot back. She, along with lieutenants Paterson and Savilaakso, had joined 2nd Lieutenant Wigburg to meet the Lyran officer.
"Indeed." Lagerlöf said. "You could had at least give call about your delay, and your late arrival. Where can we take our equipment and personnel?"
McLeod gives Lagerlöf bundle of papers. Lagerlöf studes them briefly. ""It'll do." he says and handles them to Wigburg. "Lieutenant, take care of it."
"Yes sir." Wigburg answered and left.
"Excuse me about my delay." McLeod said extending her hand. Lagerlöf took it.
"I don't have rush. I spent the time searching for info about the planet, recent news and 17th. Can you tell me what can we expect?"
"Starting from next week, we'll perform training maneuvers. I know you already did that on Galatea, but your lances will complement my company, and we need to learn work together. Besides, I have two new MechWarriors, almost straight from academy."
"So what does our roster look like?"
"Goethe had transmitted your TOE and I have memorized it. Your lance will be fire support, your other lance will be recon, and my lance is command and pursuit. My 'Mech is Griffin, others are Phoenix Hawk and two Shadow Hawks."
"Pursuit... I thought that is your typical recon lance." Zhou side with wicked look on her face.
"Social generals think that as well." McLeod said like she would be talking about weather. Zhou's face turned sour. "But since your lance is better suited for that, it relieves my lance for heavier duty."
"Goethe said something about extraction raids." Lagerlöf said.
"Yes. One battalion of 17th will leave by end of March, and do some grand theft BattleMech against Free Worlds League. We are part of that battalion. I'm certain that your extensive transportation equipment will be useful on it. But enough of that. Battalion command staff is expecting us, and we are already over two hours late." McLeod said with smile and gesture towards light wheeled APC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:22 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Castor
Free Worlds League

Command Lance
Hauptmann Iseabail McLeod GRF-1N Griffin
SHD-2H Shadow Hawk
SHD-2H Shadow Hawk
PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk

Fire Lance
Captain Jacob Lagerlöf CPLT-C1 Catapult
MechWarrior Viljo Ahonen TDR-5S Thunderbolt
Sergeant Lasse Hietala SHD-2LH Shadow Hawk
MechWarrior Daniel Olsson MAD-3R Marauder

First Section of Recon Lance
Lieutenant Simon Paterson PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk
MechWarrior Zhen Zhou CLNT-2-Zhou Clint

"Target up and ahead. Fire lance, go straight ahead. Command lance with me." hauptmann Iseabail McLeod commanded.
Just over kilometer ahead to north lies supply depot of Free Worlds League. Terrain ahead is lightly wooded, consisting of small patches of forests here and there. On their east side is short river, that originates from small lake and ends on dead end. Section of Grenadiers' recon lance advances in east side of the river. On the west side is shore of ocean. Supply depot area itself isn't large, but is well paved and has several multistore warehouses. MechWarrior Zhen Zhou jumps her Clint on top hill.
"Zhou here. Defending force has medium 'Mech lance, reinforced vehicle company and about two infantry companies. Vehicles are one heavy tank lance, one medium, one light and one light hover. Over."
As first shots are fired, Hietala accelerates his Shadow Hawk near full speed and went clearly ahead rest of Lagerlöf's lance.
"Lasse, what the Hell are you doing?" Lagerlöf shouted.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." Hietala answered with laugh.
"McLeod to fire lance. Most of their force is coming straight at you!"
"You heard the boss. Take cover in that forest. Paterson, what's your status?"
"I try to get on their flank or rear. Over."
"This is what I'm talking about." Hietala says as he moves his 'Mech to woods in reverse.
Olsson moves his Marauder next to him as two APCs drive towards them. Ahonen moves his Thunderbolt straight at them.
"Lagerlöf here. Secure and hold the forest. I'll back off and cover your rear... Incoming! Hauptmann, I need support!"
"Shadow Hawks, cover Lagerlöf."
"Perkele! These guys are crazy! Who's defending here?" Hietala curses as three light vehicles and two 'Mechs move past him and straight towards Lagerlöf's Catapult. Heavy tanks are also on move.
"McLeod to all 'Mechs. Fall back and regroup! Converge on Lagerlöf's position!"
"Lagerlöf here. Let's round this forest, it'll give us some cover."
Lagerlöf was backing up his Catapult as he spoke, took aim at passing Pegasus, fire with lasers and... missed. Other 'Mechs of company did little better, but enemy Wolverine took considerable amount of damage from concentrated fire. As Grenadiers and their Lyran allies regroup in and around the small forest, some League units follow them, including already damaged Wolverine. Concentrated fire from four medium 'Mechs savage its armor. Daniel Olsson in his Marauder and Viljo Ahonen in his Thunderbolt had worst of luck. Marauder takes considerable amount of concentrated fire, but its armor held. Thunderbolt is kicked by Hermes, and it falls. But so falls League's Cicada in forest.
"Ahonen, stop fooling around and get over here!" Lagerlöf shouted to him.
"Damn it sir, I'm working on it!" Ahonen shouted back.
"McLeod to heavy 'Mechs. Get in cover, then stand and deliver."
Soon after she had said that, battle started progressing at accelerated rate. Half of the Galleon tank was disintegrated under heavy fire from Marauder and Thunderbolt. Couple seconds later Ahonen earned another kill as his Thunderbolt kicked off Harasser's turret. Cicada and Wolverine lost their legs to kicks, and leg of Hermes II took crippling damage. As Cicada was falling, its MechWarrior ejected. However, frantic return fire from approaching tanks had left their marks on Grenadiers 'Mechs by vaporizing several tons of armor.
"Lagerlöf to McLeod. Our 'Mechs are taking heavy damage. We might not hold this position without casualties."
"We are more than likely take damage and casualties regarless what we do. All right, heavy 'Mechs, fall back along forest perimeter and form up line. Phoenix Hawks will cover rear. Heavy tanks are priority targets."
"Zhou here. Hermes is still alive and kicking. I'll take care of it."
Situation was far from good. As tanks keep advancing from north-north-west, Scorpion QuadMech holds the hill in north, with company of infantry between the hill and mercenary/Lyran 'Mechs. What ever the case, Hermes lost leg for heavy fire and ejected, prone Wolverine lost its head.
"McLeod here. 'Mechs with critical damage fall back, everyone else, stand and deliver and pray!"
"Hietala here. I'll take on that Scorpion at short range!"
"No, hold your position!" McLeod almost screamed, but too late. As Hietala moves towards Scorpion, company of jump and motorized infantry moves towards him. They didn't do much damage however. But on other side of battlefield things went from bad to worse. Concentrated fire wore off the two Lyran Shadow Hawks. Splinters from autocannon shells found their way into Short-Range Missile chamber and almost full ton of missiles blew up in chainreaction, effectively destroying the 'Mech. Adjacent Shadow Hawk didn't fare any better. Heavy APC drove past with machine guns blazing. Few rounds found their way in SRM chamber with same result.
Leg of Lagerlöf's Catapult took crippling damage from Harasser and Pegasus. Lagerlöf fought desperately to keep his 'Mech upright, but failed. When his heavy 'Mech crashed down, his helmet hit the control console and he tasted blood in his mouth. As he examined warning lights that showed critical damage all over his 'Mech, he heard frantic shout of hauptmann McLeod.
"Lyran commander to all units! Calling in for cease fire! Cease fire! Cease fire!"
Their mission had failed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:42 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Union-class DropShip
In transit
Castor system
Free Worlds League

Battalion commander, colonel Joseph Morgan, had finished reading report. He removed PDA from docking station and handled it back to hauptmann Iseabail McLeod.
"Your combat performance can't be called optimal. But considering what you went through, I'll judge you did well enough. I'm not social general and I know from personal experience what can happen when defender turns situation upside down by going offensive. Free Worlders might have played gamble about our objective to capture and loot the depot instead destroying it. Or they had advance information. At any rate, your mission wasn't total loss. By taking down good number of defending force, you made it so much easier for our reserve elements to beat remaining defenders and clean that depot along with two others. Therefore I will mark this mission as partial success on Grenadiers' record.
"About repairs and replacements. We have few spare mediums on Summer. 'Mechs and parts acquired from past raid will make up loss of Shadow Hawks and other casualties. Hauptmann, I can promise you Shadow Hawk and Dervish. Will that do?"
"Yes sir. Sounds good."
"Captain, our technical staff will have their hands full with repairs and refits of captured Free Worlds 'Mechs as well as our own. Therefore all your techs are yours to use. However, our next mission will be in five weeks from now, including transit. It might not be enough for complete repairs for all your 'Mechs. Your Catapult in particular might not be completely repaired in that time, and I don't demand it to be. If damaged leg actuators can be repaired and some armor patched, it will be good enough for convoy security.
"Otherwise I recommend you to concentrate repairs on least damaged 'Mechs, and get at least six of them to decent combat shape. By your contract, damage on your 'Mechs will be compensated forty-percent. It will be paid in C-Bills based on average market value for all irrepairable damaged equipment. Do you find this satisfactory?"
"Yes sir. It'll do. My techs can get all 'Mechs to combat readiness in five weeks. Even complete repairs can be possible with overwork."
"Good to hear, captain. But be careful with overworking your techs, becouse it might not provide reliable results. I can tell you from personal experience it will suck to go to battle with hastily repaired legs. I'd rather pilot 'Mech, where I know what works and what doesn't. Even with expense of some armor and firepower. That's all. Dismiss."

OOC: I will house rule maintenance following way: when in transit and/or in repairs whole week or more, unit won't require maintenance man-hours for that period of time.

[edit]
Fixed months → weeks

Last edited by Matti on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:13 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

Interesting...

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:39 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Union-class DropShip
In transit
Castor system
Free Worlds League

Lagerlöf looked up from monitor at Ingrid Christensen and said: "347184 C-Bills? That much?"
Ingrid Christensen is Lagerlöf's Grenadiers' administrator specialized with logistics. With such small unit as Grenadiers, she can perform all other administrative duties by herself. She is 22 years old and quite attractive. With long, straight blond hair she looks almost like typical secretary in tri-vid series and movies. Except she wears uniform and rarely uses make-up or jewelry.
"And it's only amount not covered by battle loss compensation." Christensen answered.
"We can't afford this straight from pocket, or you would end without pay. Do you have recommendations?"
"We can take it on credit, which will be subtracted from our final payment..."
Lagerlöf threw his arm up as sign to shut up. "MechWarrior Zhou calls it company store policy. Can you guess what she has told me about it?"
"I can. She has ranted to me about it like she'd know better how to do my job."
"All right... We'll do this: We use our own stockpiles first and buy with straight from pocket anything we don't have. Right now only thing we don't have ourself, is Lower Arm Actuator for Zhou's Clint. Get it from Lyrans, and otherwise all the money for battle loss compensation. Get on with it."
"Yes Sir." Christensen smiled, saluted lazily and walked off.

As Lagerlöf studied Grenadiers' inventory in order to find out how it would look after repairs would be done, Ingrid Christensen's smiling face kept coming back in his mind.
"What the Hell that meant..." he muttered.

OOC: I used price modifiers for Lyran Alliance from mercenary books (Supplemental II included) in order to calculate battle loss and compensation. 347184 C-Bills is almost all of the warchest... and Grenadiers didn't even lose 'Mech! :shocked:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:25 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Union-class DropShip
In transit
Summer system
Lyran Commonwealth

Door shifted open and Lagerlöf walked in.
"Have a seat." said colonel Morgan. Over the time, Lagerlöf has learned colonel goes straight to point without pleasantries or small-talk, and he expects same efficiency from his subordinates.
Lagerlöf began his report: "Repairs are progressing better than estimated. I can promise all my 'Mechs in full working order, including my Catapult, by the time we hit surface of Devil's Rock. I dare to say that my techs have earned couple days R&R in Summer while DropShips are maintained."
Lagerlöf placed memory card on the desk. "Here are technical details."
"Commendable. Permission for shore leave is granted. Deliver my appreciation to your personnel."

Searchlight
Curitiba
Summer

Searchlight is night club favored by personnel of 17th Skye Rangers. Wide open spaces are lighted by lights that look much like searchlight mounted on Warhammer BattleMech. Some even say that some of those lights are from Warhammers retired from service. This night had been reserved for second battalion of 17th Skye Rangers, and everyone invited enjoy it as best they can. Most anyway.
"Hey Jacob! Want to have dance?" Ingrid Christensen shouted over the noise of heavy metal music.
"Maybe later if you don't mind!" Lagerlöf shouted back.
"If you're not too drunk by then!"
"I'll try to be!"
Christensen laughed at that. Lagerlöf managed just half a smile.
"Come on now! You need enjoy life little bit more!"
Lagerlöf emptied his glass, stood up and walked towards Christensen. "I don't have training for this. But I can give it a try."
Christensen smiled lightly. "This isn't competition, so don't worry too much. Just follow my lead."
Just then music went out and was followed by almost calm song, at least compared to ones before.
"That's better." Lagerlöf said. "This almost fits for waltz."
"Sounds good."

Officer's quarters
Military base
Summer

Lagerlöf woke up with what seemed like his worst hangover in his life. Traces of daylight came through curtain on window. Lagerlöf turned to see clock beside his bed. Instead clock he found Ingrid Christensen beside him only half covered by blanket, and nothing else.
"Damn..." Lagerlöf muttered. "Did I drink THAT much?" He rolled back on his back. "At least no one has right to lecture either of us about this... what ever this can be called.
Despite hammering headache, Lagerlöf managed smile and closed his eyes. "Mercenary life has its advantages."

OOC: I had marked on roster 16 astechs. Later I noticed I have paid them salary of green tech. I promoted them accordingly before doing repairs. Becouse green techs can be used in place of astechs (1 for every 2 better tech), it's not major screw up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:50 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Administration building
Military base
Summer

"What's up?" Lagerlöf asked from hauptmann Iseabail McLeod.
"You look like [crap]!", McLeod observed.
"I'm already feeling better than that, thank you. So do you know what this meeting is all about?"
"Briefing mostly. But I heard we'll get reinforced for next raid. I also heard that your pretty administrator was seen leaving your quarters early this morning."
"Don't ask me any details about it, I don't remember much. But as they say: if you don't remember about last night, you probably had a good time. Anyway it's none of your business." Lagerlöf entered conference room before McLeod could answer.

"And now the good news", announced colonel Morgan. "In addition of full material replacements, we get to keep full company of combat vehicles we looted from Castor. They'll be assigned to 'Mech companies. Each company will be reinforced with up to full vehicle lance by your choice!"
Cheers erupted among assembled MechWarrior officers, that include company commanders, their XOs, and notable mercenary commanders, including captain Jacob Lagerlöf.
"List of available vehicles will appear on your computer screens. Each company may choose up to four by first serve basis."
McLeod leaned towards Lagerlöf. "I'll take two Harassers. You take two of what ever you like."
Lagerlöf nodded. List appeared on screen, and immediately rows started fading out as officers take their picks. Lagerlöf already had his pencil on hand, and marked Warrior H-7 and H-7C combat VTOL helicopters.
Lagerlöf lean towards McLeod. "I got two Warriors. Did you have luck?"
McLeod nodded. "Good picks. I got two Harassers, standards."
"May I have your attention!" Conversations died out at shout of colonel Morgan. "Now some of you might wonder how do we get to drag this extra load with us. Even now our cargo Union is being converted to carry some of our conventional combat assets. Some additional infantry and vehicle bays are being installed. But that don't mean we got less room to carry looted material. Free trader has offered services of his Merchant-class JumpShip AND Mammoth-class DropShip!"
Outburst of cheers and shouting would have drowned roar of even heaviest autocannon.

Officers quarters

"Come in" Lagerlöf answered to knock as he was packing. Ingrid Christensen walked in. Lagerlöf glanced her way and returned to open drawers. "Yes, corporal?"
"Jacob, we need to talk about last night."
For using his first name emphasized that she means personal matters without ranks. Lagerlöf closed bag's zipper and turned towards Christensen. "We do, Ingrid. I must confess I don't remember much of it. I was too damn drunk, and I'm still having pretty good hangover left. How did you end up on my bed?"
Ingrid almost smiled, then her face went serious. "You were damn drunk indeed. I had to walk and nearly drag you in here. You threw up couple times on the way here, first one was in the car. In here you vomited two more times and I had to clean the mess becouse you missed the bowl." She stopped.
"Please go on" Lagerlöf urged.
"I got you out of your clothes and then stripped myself. But you didn't seem to be interested to go on any further becouse you had passed out. When you finally let me get that close of you, best you can do is fumble my... What are you laughing at?" Ingrid snapped as Jacob started laughing hysterically.
"I'm sorry. I though I had hurted you... physically that is. Oh, and if I recall correctly, this is first time you speak straight about anything personal between us... no, sorry. First time was yesterday at the club."
Jacob walked at Ingrid and hugged her tightly. Ingrid responded in kind. "I'm sorry I didn't pay enough attention for your earlier approaches. Can we try again?"
Ingrid took Jacob's head on her hands and kissed him straight to lips. "Yes, dear."
"Good." Jacob pushed Ingrid at arm's length and stared at her eyes with serious look on his face. "But right now we are soldiers first and we must follow military protocols when in duty, and particularly when there are other people around. Can we do that, corporal Christensen?"
Christensen looked back at Lagerlöf's eyes and nodded. "Yes sir. If it don't work out, I'll resign my commission as NCO and continue as civilian attachée."
Jacob smiled and pulled Ingrid back for bear's hug. "On next shore leave, don't let me get that drunk again."

OOC: I've been busy. My father is farmer and here is lots of work to do at this time of year. We're mostly done in the fields, and at least today I got some time to type this chapter. I might even pull enough time to play scenario on planet Devil's Rock later this year. Otherwise I'm done with polytechnic and I'm now IT engineer. Now I need find related job, becouse I hate farming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:03 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

[deleted]

Last edited by Matti on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:19 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Supply base
Devil's Rock
Free Worlds League

Some names for planets, like Misery and Dustball, are well deserved. Devil's Rock is clearly an exception: planet has large forests and modern cities. But with destroyed industrial centers and burned forests, the Succession Wars have left their marks. Despite all the destruction, planet still possesses limited industrial capacity, and also functions as staging and supply center for Free Worlds military.

Lagerlöf's Grenadiers' Command Lance has been assigned with raid against major supply depot. Their sole support is two Warrior helicopters, one armed with both short- and long-range missiles. Center of supply depot is surrounded by artificially constructed ground wall, which from outside is impassable for anything but aircrafts and jump capable units. Outside this fortified area are many other warehouses and fuel tanks.
Becouse League is well known for its extensive use of light and fast combat vehicles, Grenadiers' chosen path is through sparsely wooded forests and hills, which would negate speed advantage of fast vehicles while providing some cover for advancing 'Mechs.
"Catapult to Warrior One, do you see what we're going against?" Lagerlöf asked from lead VTOL.
"This is Warrior One. I have visual to several light hover and wheeled vehicles, two Demolishers, and two BattleMechs. And place seems to be crawling with PBI."
"What kind of 'Mechs?"
"Vulcan and Wolverine. Taking closer look... Confirmed. Wolverine is 6M, League variant. Vulcan is standard 2T."
"This is Warrior Two. I've analyzed combat vees. At least two Harassers, two Vedettes, two Demolishers, and two light wheeled vehicles. Don't know what they are, but they seem to be armed with turret mounted missile launchers, apparently long- and short-ranged missile batteries."
"This is Catapult. You should be aware that there are much more different combat vehicles than what can be detailed in any technical readouts or combat unit systems." (OOC: Wheeled vehicles are Strikers, but becouse they didn't exist yet in 2953, I came up with this)
"Catapult to all units. Warriors stay behind but high. Marauder and Thunderbolt, take overwatch on northern hill. Lasse with me. Advance!"
As the mercenary raiding force moves over, through, and between the hills and woods, militia units deploy for defense. Wheeled and hover vehicles are the first that come within weapons range. One of the wheeled vehicles spins out of control, skids, and comes to complete halt.
"Catapult here. Wheeled tank is sitting duck! Destroy it!"
Two 'Mechs and both helicopters fire in chronus, destroying the wheeled vehicle. Return fire didn't come even close.
"Catapult to Warriors. One, circle to south, Two to north. See if you can sting anything, but avoid enemy fire."
Helicopters split up, one heading south while other proceeds north-west, flanking advancing enemy force. League units outside fortified base perimeter include only the four light vehicles, Vedettes, and BattleMechs. Infantry and heavy Demolishers have chosen to stay inside the fortified base.
"Shadow Hawk here. Marik 'Mechs are literally jumping on us! Engaging Wolverine!"
As Wolverine jumped over woods, Lagerlöf took aim with his Catapult. Without wanting to spend ammunition on such unsure target, he fired his lasers instead. Missed.
"This is Warrior Two! Engine hit, going down! Get that Harasser!"
It is difficult for any commander to command effectively while being in combat himself. Realizing this, Lagerlöf could come up only with one good command.
"Catapult to all units! Engage at your discretion!" Lagerlöf said while firing lasers at Vulcan, and attempting to evade attacks of Wolverine.
"Thunderbolt here. Warrior Two got down smoothly and in one piece, and was destroyed just seconds after by Harasser. I just nailed that bastard, but got few scratches myself. I'll regroup with Marauder."
On top of the hill Thunderbolt and Marauder had good firing position and cover of the woods. League's combat vehicles had little chance against them. League 'Mechs were other story: they jumped continuously, often behind either Hietala's Shadow Hawk, or, more often, Lagerlöf's Catapult. Realizing futility of chasing them down in difficult terrain, Lagerlöf had to order his 'Mechs to regroup.
"Catapult to Shadow Hawk, join Marauder. Thunderbolt, cover our asses!"
As said, so done. As Catapult and Shadow Hawk moved towards hill, Thunderbolt moved towards them, discouraging any short-ranged back shots. With no other targets of great importance left to shoot at, Marauder turned to face the League 'Mechs. Shadow Hawk and damaged Catapult made it to hill and cover of woods.
"Catapult here. Take positions with good field of fire, then stand and deliver."
The heavy mercenary 'Mechs moved to outer edges around the small forest, then just held their place while firing at any target with any chance of hit. Remaining light combat vehicles and Vedette tanks were destroyed while armor of the League 'Mechs grew thinner. Mercenaries didn't get without punishment to themselves.
Then both 'Mechs jumped towards the mercenaries. Lagerlöf aimed and fired lasers at the flying Wolverine, hitting it to center torso and right arm. Estimating its landing point, Lagerlöf moved Catapult slightly towards it. As Wolverine touched down few meters below the Catapult, Catapult's leg rose high, and came crashing down on Wolverine's head.
"Hahaa! Shadow Hawk here! I kicked Vulcan's head off! It's down, and stays down!"
"This is Catapult. Wolverine has been eliminated likewise." Lagerlöf said with a smile. It was then that he noticed damage to his 'Mech.
"This Cat is pretty much beated up. One LRM out, and not much armor left. Warrior One, how does the base look?"
"This is Warrior One. Terrain and buildings interfere my LOS, but at least some of the infantry are inside the buildings. I see Demolishers from time to time on the move. Approach main base with extreme caution."
"Catapult to all units. We'll take this mission to end. Let's destroy Demolishers first, and infantry will surrender.
"Shadow Hawk here. What if they don't surrender?"
"Then we crash buildings on top of them! Marauder and Thunderbolt, take a point. Advance!"
'Mechs marched towards open entrance of the main base, expecting infantry ambushes from nearby warehouses. None came. All remaining enemies seemed to be inside the ground wall of the base.
At entrance of low level warehouse, Marauder crouches, punches door down, and enters in. At otherside of the building the Marauder has good visual and firing position at entrance of main base, while building around it provides cover. Outside the building, Marauder is flanked by Shadow Hawk and Thunderbolt, while Catapult stays behind.
"This is Warrior One. Demolishers are moving towards the entrance."
"Marauder here. I see one. Firing!"
Stand and deliver, Marauder engages the first Demolishers, and other 'Mechs add their volume of fire. Tank takes heavy damage, and its speed is reduced to less than crawling. Then other Demolisher shows up. Some 'Mechs fall back while firing, but Marauder holds its place inside the warehouse.
Both Demolishers fire at the Marauder. Most rounds goes wide off, but some hit Marauder's torso. Then bright flash eminates from inside the Marauder as its ammunition explodes, splitting 'Mech seemingly into two parts. At the same time, long-range missiles from Lagerlöf's Catapult savage the Demolisher, detonating its own ammunition with even brighter explosion.
From collapsing building, something shoots up towards the sky. Marauder's auto ejection system kicked in, saving the life of its pilot. As parachute opens up, Lagerlöf exhales sigh of relief.

"This is mercenary commanding officer in employ of the Lyran Commonwealth. Good show, but most of your armored forces have been eliminated. There is no point to continue. Surrender now and leave, and you'll live."
Answer took only moment.
"What are your terms?"
"You can leave freely with everything that moves. Just leave all the supplies for us."
"Hmm... Ok. There is no point to continue lost battle. We accept your terms. This is just business, as usual."
"Yeah..." Lagerlöf muttered. "Business, as usual."

(OOC: Marauder has just two CT internals left! That was CLOSE!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:01 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Supply base
Devil's Rock
Free Worlds League

"Is it salvageable?" Lagerlöf asked his chief tech, sergeant Dean Marlow.
"Yes, barely. Engine is intact, structure can be repaired, but gyro may need replacement."
"Is it THAT bad?"
"We can give a try for repair, but it would take well over month even for me. Twice that for anyone else other than me or Mike. Even then I can't guarantee success. Structure can be repaired just under month with better chance of success, but we're going to need new body part for the left side before we can reattach arm."
"This is nuts..." Lagerlöf muttered, sanking into his 'Mech's seat. "Catapult to Second ElTee Wigburg. Report."
"This is Wigburg. Our medium recovery vehicle has picked up Wolverine, and Rangers' engineering vehicle is dragging the Vulcan. Our heavy recovery vehicle will arrive shortly, and is escorted by second half of our recon lance. Marauder's arm has been picked up on our flatbed. Half of the warehouses are empty, but we're not leaving empty handed. So far we have found few hundred tons worth of munitions, more than that of armor, some weapons and vehicle parts. We may have here enough to load up Rangers' cargo Union, and still have something left for the Mammoth."
"This is Catapult. Message received and understood. Catapult to Thunderbolt. Ahonen, move next to Marauder, and help loading it onto our recovery vee when it arrives."

Command truck
Devil's Rock
Free Worlds League

Command vehicle of the 2nd battalion of 17th Skye Rangers is little more than heavy cargo truck filled with communications equipment, computers, and computer screens. In middle of the organized chaos colonel Joseph Morgan smiles as captain Jacob Lagerlöf steps in.
"Captain, congratulations about your past mission. You not only secured important supply depot, but also captured us two BattleMechs with relatively minor damage, and Demolisher too! My condolences about your Marauder, but I've been told it can be repaired."
Lagerlöf answered with all seriousness: "Yes, but it will take over month with my best two techs. Furthermore it is possible that gyro can't be completely repaired, and in the worst case fixes won't hold out and all the time is wasted. And whole left side of the torso is goner."
"You'd best get your techs to work on it anyway. If torso can be restored, then gyro can be replaced. It's not unreasonable price to get Marauder back up and running. And I'll secure you needed parts for standard price."
"I'm glad to hear that. How are things going elsewhere on the planet?"
"C company was supposed to secure major industrial center, but place was defended by company of Marik Militia 'Mechs. Didn't expect them to be here. C withdrew, and went back just three hours earlier with armor and aerospace support. C lost lance with only only two 'Mechs salvageable, but secured five Militia 'Mechs to their salvage pool. Your recovery vehicles will help hauling them back here."
"Consider it done. I'll assign Shadow Hawk, Thunderbolt, and remaining Warrior for escort."
"Very good. It's pleasure working with you, captain."
"Thank you, colonel."

Last edited by Matti on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:09 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

I think I'm going to call it quits to this unit. With new logistics rules in StratOps, there is little point to continue with outdated rules. Becouse I haven't got very far with this, I'm not going to update/retcon logistical assets to new rules either. I'll start with new merc unit when Interstellar Operations and new merc operation rules come available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:29 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Why quit - so what if the rules may change down the line - theres no law saying you have to do it according to the newest rules - and i doubt there will be massive changes anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:50 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
theres no law saying you have to do it according to the newest rules
Becouse I'll get StratOps anyway, and I'd feel whole lot better when all the rules in use belong are parts of the same edition, and compatibility guaranteed. There are other reasons too: I have Jagged Alliance 2 still unfinished (conquering Meduna now), and I gotta read TacOps some day...
Quote:
and i doubt there will be massive changes anyway.
There are tech teams, which have SERIOUS effect on maintenance times: before there was 1 tech doing the work, now it is 7. Dunno how it affects repairs, but I'll be whole lot happier if Marauder with double critted gyro and 2 internals left can be repaired in reasonable amount of time. Under BMR Revised rules, repairing that amount of internals with TN:4 takes over 3 weeks (Veteran tech) and repairing gyro with TN:5 over 6 weeks (also Veteran tech).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:37 pm 
Major General
Major General

Matti, it has always been the assumption that a tech team was 1 Tech and 6 Astechs working 8 Hour Days as far back as BattleTech RPG 1st Edition.
If you didnt have the Team, then the time and modifiers were worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:42 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Matti, it has always been the assumption that a tech team was 1 Tech and 6 Astechs working 8 Hour Days as far back as BattleTech RPG 1st Edition.
No such things in BMR Revised and Mercenary's Handbook. In FM: Mercenaries Revised there is requirement of 1 astech/green for every 2 regular+ techs when doing maintenance. If I have interpreted it correctly, astech's man-hours are also available for maintenance and other tasks (even when assisting other techs). Repairs & replacements are performed by individual tech, and workload of gyro repair can't be shared between multiple (as)techs. Ok, found it:
Quote:
Two technicians cannot work on the same task at the same time, but they can divide the tasks between them to save time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:31 pm 
Major General
Major General

Quote:
Quote:
No such things in BMR Revised
BMR Revised is a BattleTech Rule book so it will gloss over a lot of "realities"
Quote:
and Mercenary's Handbook.
a Squad is 7 Men... Mercenaries Handbook refers to a SQUAD of Technicians... This is 1 Tech and 6 AsTechs

In FM: Mercenaries Revised there is requirement of 1 astech/green for every 2 regular+ techs when doing maintenance. If I have interpreted it correctly, astech's man-hours are also available for maintenance and other tasks (even when assisting other techs). Repairs & replacements are performed by individual tech, and workload of gyro repair can't be shared between multiple (as)techs. Ok, found it:
Quote:
Two technicians cannot work on the same task at the same time, but they can divide the tasks between them to save time.
[/quote]

That is speaking of Technicians... AsTechs are the grunts and spear holders... they are like nurses to the Tech's "Doctor"

and again... BMR is glossed over... Strategic Operations Maual will stand out because it will be the first strictly BATTLETECH book to have the full rules of Maintenence and Repair. (the Merc Books are actually BattleTech RPG books and not BattleTech Books)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:51 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Quote:
and Mercenary's Handbook.
a Squad is 7 Men... Mercenaries Handbook refers to a SQUAD of Technicians... This is 1 Tech and 6 AsTechs
Page # please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:23 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
and again... BMR is glossed over... Strategic Operations Maual will stand out because it will be the first strictly BATTLETECH book to have the full rules of Maintenence and Repair. (the Merc Books are actually BattleTech RPG books and not BattleTech Books)
That ought to sum it up why I want give up with 4th Edition rules and move on to the newest available edition