Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Noah's Ark
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:01 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I have the minis for this unit, I hope to at some point paint them all up. I created this unit to be something different than the usual heavy assault merc units that seem to dominate many commands. It might sound like these guys are a bit on the chickenish side but I see them as being pretty pragmatic about their chances, and willing to look for greener pastures elsewhere. Timeline wise I see this unit forming after Tukayid, when there would be alot of broken up units with pilots with old standard mechs that would not cut it against the clans. For strictly 3025 play I would pull out the hatchetman, wolfhound and falcons to increase believablity, which would require some consolidation.

Comments are welcome and I hope you enjoy reading this.

Merc Unit - Noah's Ark

Formed by Mechwarriors whose machines can't hope to compete against the meatgrinder of the clan invasion, this unit is looking for easier pickings elsewhere in the Inner Sphere. Whether this will happen or not remains an unanswered question. Led by Captain Jeschke, most of these guys aren't looking for honor and glory since their mechs can't cash those kind of checks. The majority hails from the Lyran side of the Federated Commonwealth, having fought in line regiments that were mauled by the clan. A few came from the Combine, and the rest scattered throughout the Sphere.

Originally they had some other throwaway name for their unit, but changed it soon before departure from Outreach. The name became apparent after all the mechs in the light 2nd company had an exact companion, as on Noahs Ark before the Great Flood. This was done purposely to keep the cost down on spare parts so common weapons such as medium lasers, machine guns and ammo can be bought in bulk from various wholesalers. As an extra benefit, incase one mech of the pair is disabled too badly to be fixed at a major refit/repair facility, the surviving mech of the pair has extra supplies to draw off the crippled machine. Whether this practice will be applied to the heavier first company remains to be seen.

The MRBC classifies the mercenary command as a reinforced company even though it's divided into two companies. Noah's Ark is considered green, though most of the mechwarriors while have combat experience, the commander admits unit cohesion at this point hasn’t occurred to the satisfaction The pilots of the light mechs whom have not been blooded in a real battle keep him up at night the most. The plus side to this situation is the fact they are much less expensive to employ, and are ranked as corporals. Most of these lightweight mechwarriors came out of militia units from minor planets, ego driven young men who thought they were big shots onto their homeworlds before coming to Outreach. Once there they realized they were small pickings in a larger sea. The Captain realizes he is taking a big risk, but he feels that the 1st company will do the majority of the heavy hitting.

Captain Jeschke envisions his unit to have two parts - the lighter 2nd company to break up enemy formations and drive them to the 1st company that has the firepower needed to destroy the enemy. Most of the mechwarriors in the first company are of regular or veteran status, At some point he would like to fill out the light company with more jump capable mechs, since he doesn’t have as much mobility as he would want in an urban environment.

The light company provides for base security and search and recovery. There are 2 infantry platoons, and 5 APCs to make sure they can get where they need to go in a hurry (it also helps the Captain bought them used from a washed up command for 25% of new cost.) Captain Jeschke believes that the SaR APCs will be useful while on station to provide the populations of the cities they defend with addition ambulances, generating additional with the city government. In the event of an attack they are used to rescue mechwarriors and tankers if their machines are destroyed or inoperative in a battle. Between contracts while in transit, the light APCs can be packed as cargo. This saves the unit a lot of cash since they they do not need to be housed in standard vehicle bays on a dropship. However this requires a lot of extra work to extract them from their shipping containers and making sure they survived intact. The infantry squads hate helping out but value the extra protection and mobility in dangerous urban combat.

Preferred contracts at this point will be urban garrison duty, security duty cadre and pirate hunting. The unit refuses all contracts to fight on the clan front. Due to the unusual configuration of the unit, it needs 2 Unions or shares space on an Overlord or similar sized dropship. Since it has no native DropShip or Jumpship support, it must rely on the employers ships which puts it at a very big disadvantage incase it were to ever need to be extracted.

The crest of the unit is a stylized picture of Noah's Ark from the Christian Bible. The Arks use an urban camouflage color scheme normally of off white and red brick with black.

Noah's Ark
1st Company

1st Co. Cmd Lance
Hoplite - Captain Jeschke (mech +3ML -LRM5)
Scorpion quad - 1s LT Tacon
Hatchetman - 1st Sgt Udell
Hunchback G - MW (Sgt) Shimizu

1st Co. 2nd Lance
Hermes II -S - 2nd LT Dabel
Wolverine R - Sgt Zylla
Griffin - Sgt Wi (needs LA)
Wolfhound - 2nd LT. Tran

1st Co. 3rd Lance (Armor)
Demolisher - 1st Sgt Wyman
Demolisher - Sgt Sypulski
Pike Tank - Sgt Iverson
LRM Carrier - Sgt Ono

2nd Company

2nd Co 1st Lance (Reinforced)
Falcon - 2nd LT Nagumo
Falcon - 2nd LT Arakaki
Wasp - Cpl. Richards
Wasp - Cpl. White
Stinger - Cpl. Falagan
Stinger - Cpl Fuchs

2nd Co 2nd Lance
Commando - Sgt Hahn
Commando - Sgt Krueger
Flea - Cpl Zimmerman
Flea - Cpl Becker

Light Vehicle Company
(These do not provide warfighting capabilty for unit cmdr)
(Provide Security, Cargo and Search and Recovery SaR act as ambulances for base and local population during non-combat) (these are generic gzg?? minis)

Foot Rifle Inf Platoon
Foot Rifle Inf Platoon

3 SaR/Ambulance Tracked Light Tank
5 APCs
Various Cargo Trucks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:47 am 
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Mercenaries are in it for the money; nothing 'chickenish' about saying "Fight the Clans? Not likely, mate! Seeya!" if you don't have the skills/matériel and/or a deathwish. :¬)

I like it, very believable, much more so than the usual "Élite 'Mechwarrior hero with a noble bloodline commanding a couple dozen customized Atlas 'Mechs" dross that people often end up creating. ;¬)

Personally, not wild about the camo scheme but that's personal preference (and in 'real' terms, subject to change for operational reasons anyway). Other than that, nicely done, well thought through and I'd certainly be happy to face them off with a balanced opposing force, if only because they're interesting.

[i]"Steiner ueber alles!"[/i]

[i]"Saor Sgìth!"[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:32 am 
Loki
Loki

Agreed.

Very cool, non-munchish merc unit that feels right. Good job.

:)

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?