Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:04 am 
Loki
Loki

I've been working on a new version of the Jihad that would be (I think) more interesting than the canon Jihad and need some help on names and jazz.

General idea is that it didn't go as well for the Wobblies in their opening moves as they wished. Leaks got out and some of their attacks were foiled. The Dragoons survived the assault, some of the League fleet stayed loyal to the League and the skies over Atreus were filled with dying ships, and other jazz like that. However, they did manage to level the capitals on New Avalon and Tharkad.

Unable to do as much damage as they wished after some of their reversals though, they went a slightly different route. They sent HPGs to various systems and told them to abandon the Houses or die. Systems that didn't agree were fried, and that information was broadcast for all to see. Those that DID agree, were left to live in peace while the Wobblies went on to more important enemies.

In the Chaos March, the Ridzik brothers, long having been attempting to reform the Tikonov Free Republic and having a nice little pocket empire, by Chaos March standards, joined up with the Dragoons, Highlanders, and the Allied Mercenary Command to fight the Wobblies close to Terra while the Star League fought (or tried to fight) the Wobbly fleets.

Lots of damage all over.

By the time the Star League defeated the Wobblies and retook Terra, the Successor State militaries were in shambles and they didn't have enough power to force the worlds that had done as the Wobblies commanded to return to the fold. Which left the Inner Sphere and Periphery badly fractured, with nearly 30 major and minor factions to work with.

There are the five great Successor States, but each one is MUCH weaker than in the canon line. Here are the main States, along with the factions that have seperated from them.

Free Tikonov Republic - think a MUCH smaller version of the ROTS that includes Tikonov, the entire Chaos March, Lyons Thumb, the former FWL FedCom worlds, and a few more Lyran and Combine systems near Terra.

Draconis Combine
Nova Cats
Azami

Federated Suns
Robinson
New Syrtis
Filvet Coalition
Addicks-Ozawa Corporate Theatre

Capellan Confederation
Styke Commonality
Sarna Supremacy
St. Ives Compact

Free Worlds League - Resolution 288 and Addendum to Incorporation repealed. No Captain-General. Think the modern day UN. Can't do a blessed thing while its member states do whatever they want.
Marik-Stewart Commonwealth
Oriente Protectorate
Duchy of Andurien
Regulan Fiefs
Rim Commonality
Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey

Lyran Commonwealth
Tamar Pact - all 14 systems that are left of it.
Federation of Skye
Solaris

Clan Jade Falcon
Clan Hells Horses
Clan Wolf
Rasalhague Dominion

Raven Alliance
Taurian Concordat
Fronc Reachs/New Colony Region?
Magistry of Canopus
Marian Hegemony
Rim Collection
Rim Territories

Now...the general idea is that no factions are destroyed. Some are stronger. Mainly the Periphery realms that weren't hit as hard and no longer have to worry about Successor State adventurism. Some are weaker, like the Successor States.

the largest one is the FWL since nobody "officially" left it. Of course, the member states DID take the precaution of neutering the central government so it could NEVER take control of them again. The six major factions in the FWL make it the most factionalized former House left, and so while it is the largest, it is also generally considered the weakest.

The merchant kings of the Lyran Commonwealth rule the largest TRUE surviving Successor State, followed by Ricol's Draconis Combine, the Capellan Confederation, and last comes the militaristically powerful but economically poor Federated Suns.

Now, I've done a fair amount of research on where each faction is and what parts of the Inner Sphere they best control. But I've never been good with names. What would the Azami call their new nation? Ditto on Robinson and New Syrtis? Or what would a half dozen worlds in an economic alliance with Solaris be called? Or a company monopoly based around Addicks and Ozawa? Heck, what would the Nova Cats call themselves after a Combine official tried to get the Combine to put them on reservations and they fought back?

Who are known families or company CEOs who would be big on doing stuff like this? Is there anybody left of the Tamar Pact ruling family for instance? I'm just hoping to pick other people's minds, especially on their favorite factions...hehehe

Note that there is a lot of open space not controlled by any one faction. Lots of systems that don't listen to anyone. Either because they don't want to or because nobody wants to bother with them when they have more important fish to fry. ;)

In the end, this is a factionalized Human Sphere, where every faction is still around, and some have been brought to the forefront. But no factions are actually DESTROYED. I hate destroying factions. I'm actually considering very strongly bringing the Clan Smoked Jaguar back in some way...maybe controlling some of the worlds the Combine no longer has the power to control in the old Jaguar Occupation Zone. That is just something I've thought of though and I'm not sure. It is just an idea...hehehe.

I'm just wondering what all you guys think, and what input you might have into peoples that could be behind the factions. Families that would be up for it.

I haven't decided on an exact time frame for a "stable" universal setup, but am thinking somewhere in the 3100 to 3120 time frame. At least 20 years (ala the 20 year update) since the end of the Wobblie Jihad so there is a new generation of warriors and jazz.

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

Last edited by Medron Pryde on Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:34 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dammit Medron I knew you'd make me come out of lurker mode eventually :angry:

This is something I worked on myself a while back, so I have a few ideas.

As for the Draconis Combine two splinter states.

I believe the Azami would go for for an Arabian feel considering they came from the middle east orginally. On that note:

The Azami Emirates

The Nova Cats would probably go for the name

The Nova Cat Confederation

In the Federated Suns the Draconis March might go for the name

The Robinson Republic in this way it could say that it is freeing Former Draconis March worlds from DC oppersion as well as 'liberating' current DC worlds from their form of government.

The Capellan March might go for the name of
The New Syrtis Coalition or The Syrtis States

Addicks-Ozawa Corporate Theatre

This is a tougher one, but something like

Addicks-Ozawa Corporate Clans might work, but staying away from the fromer Ozawa based empire that was swallowed by the early DC.

Your crapellan Confederation states and spliter states can all keep their names, any further weakening of the CC I don't believe is needed if it's facing a powerful and Independent New Syrtis.

Free Worlds League: No Comment.

Lyran Commonwealth

Tamar Pact might change it's name to the
Tamar Trumvirate in this way it gets rid of it's Pact status and sounds like a more powerful and independent state rather then a breakaway.

Federation of Skye or Free Skye Republic both work.

Solaris......... hmmm.

The Solaris Freedom Zone or Solaris Independence League I can't really think of any any state names that show a entertainment based government, Indendence and Freedom are it at the moment.

Everything else is fine. Tho the ARDC might stay independent while facing down the clans if the Lyran Commonwealth is busy dealing with other factors and ignorning the border zones.

That's all for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:56 am 
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Sooo the FS is only the Cirris <sp?> March?

How's the Lyran State (proper) doing what with all the break-aways and no capital?

No Star League Peacekeepers?

No comantary on how many more tanks and how much more infantry are being used in offences? ( :stars: Oh, the humanity . . .)

Is it a race to reclame the Head in the Sand Planets?

I think I get it . . .

"He closes his eyes and remembers the night splattered with brightness, the sudden flare of erupting fuel, the mad chase as, supersonic, he bobbed and weaved among the hills and valleys of the Ozarks, the laws on his tail, burning for home …"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:57 am 
Loki
Loki

FS is pretty much part of the Crucis March right now. Not all of it. Just part of it. They make most of their money by hiring out their rather impressive military to Robinson or Syrtis in the low-level fighting going on against the Combine and the Capellan rump states.

The Lyran Commonwealth rebuilt the capital buildings and Lyran merchant ships are seen throughout the Human Sphere. They make lots of money.

The Star League is almost as effective as the Free Worlds League central government is in FWL space. Almost. There are even fewer units under permanent Star League control than the FWL has. The current Star League is an honorific title only. Kinda like the Holy Roman Empire. Neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire...;)

Tanks and infantry tend to be defensive units. BattleMechs, AeroSpace fighters, DropShips and WarShips tend to be the primary offensive units. For the realms lucky enough to have them. Not everybody has WarShips for instance. Especially when you start looking at the League and Capellan rump states.

As for general warfare level. Look at the third succession war. A long string of small battles taking place on individual worlds. No fighting in cities or destroying the objectives of battle just to keep the enemy from having them. If you lose, come back later and have another go at it.

What WarShips are left aren't wasted on powers that don't have WarShips for instance. The Marik-Stewart Commonwealth controls the only Riga-class carrier to survive the Jihad and the Civil War intact for instance. But it rarely leaves the Skye/Tikonov border region.

Most current generation WarShips being built are small things, more like a Star League destroyer or corvette. Nobody has the resources to build anything bigger right now, so the larger WarShips that are still around like the single surviving Lyran Mjolner are guarded VERY carefully. IT spends most of its time on the Jade Falcon border, along with a flotilla of smaller WarShips and assault DropShips to keep the pride of the Lyran fleet from being turned into so much floating trash.

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:09 am 
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Quote:
FS is pretty much part of the Crucis March right now. Not all of it. Just part of it. They make most of their money by hiring out their rather impressive military to Robinson or Syrtis in the low-level fighting going on against the Combine and the Capellan rump states.
:o If the crown was sooo stupid as to help me brake away, I guess I'd do so, too . . . :sad:

"He closes his eyes and remembers the night splattered with brightness, the sudden flare of erupting fuel, the mad chase as, supersonic, he bobbed and weaved among the hills and valleys of the Ozarks, the laws on his tail, burning for home …"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:38 am 
Loki
Loki

Not stupid...they just didn't have the power after the Jihad to force the issue. Even now, as possibly the most powerful military force, and definately the best trained, if they tried to take over either Robinson or Syrtis, the Combine or the Capellan rump states would get involved.

It's the Piranha principle. The Suns could BEAT either Robinson or Syrtis...but THEN they'd have to take on either the Capellans or the Combine who would be smelling BLOOD in the air....so while corporate raiding is JUST fine...full scale conquest motivated warfar is just RIGHT out....

kinda like counting to 4 on the holy hand grenade.... :shocked:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:19 am 
Loki
Loki

So, does anybody else have any information that could help in the "these guys are important and could do something" or in the "there's somebody you forgot about" categories?

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:27 am 
Major General
Major General

I have to admit I don't understand the obsession people seem to have with keeping the Dragoons alive. I mean, they are one of the most individually feared units ever to have existed; would you NOT have gone after them with something large and frightening, and nuked them out of existence?

-----

"The cookie told me to!"
"Cookies aren't always right, you know."
"But they're so sweet!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:48 pm 
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Players like mercs, 'cose mercs go where the action is. The 'Goons (theoreticly) see the most action, being the biggest and baddest . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:54 pm 
Scion of Coyote
Scion of Coyote

Quote:
I have to admit I don't understand the obsession people seem to have with keeping the Dragoons alive. I mean, they are one of the most individually feared units ever to have existed; would you NOT have gone after them with something large and frightening, and nuked them out of existence?
But being big and bad and spread out, it'd take a lot of effort to wipe them out.

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/flag-us.gif[/img] [img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/ ... lorida.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:52 pm 
Loki
Loki

Well, actually, the idea of this history, as noted before, is not to wipe out ANYBODY's favorite factions.

Most are different/smaller/less powerful/whatever but they are all the basic factions that people like. And none of them are being destroyed ala Clan Smoke Jaguar, Wolf Dragoons, Taurian Concordat, or FWL as has/will been/be happening in the official history.

I'm not going to pull the "you should have chosen a better faction" BS on anybody.

So, does anybody have any information?

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:59 am 
Loki
Loki

The Draconis Rifts

Draconis Combine

The Draconis Combine held up under the Word of Blake Jihad better than any other realm. Bolstered by its complete control of the media and built on a culture designed to embrace trials of courage, few worlds abandoned the Kurita family at the WOB demands, fighting tooth and nail at every chance. Because of this, the Combine was also the hardest hit of any Successor State. The rise of Hassid Ricol to the position of Coordinator after the assassination of Coordinator Theodore Kurita in 3069 was a turning point for the proud nation, but he had little trust for the Nova Cats and Azami.

As the war continued and Word of Blake forces destroyed factory after factory, he sent his dwindling supplies only to units he trusted, leaving units loyal to the Kurita family undersupplied. His trusted units, with their new supplies, began hunting down the Word of Blake invaders with improved efficiency, making some outside the Combine wonder if they were purposefully not working as well before. Whatever the truth of that matter, in the end, with some minor Star League support, his loyal units proved capable of pushing the Word of Blake elements out of the Draconis Combine, but the damage to the Dragon’s industry was terrible. Boasting a fraction of its pre-Jihad construction capability, the Combine was unable to act upon the weakness of its neighbors and fell back into a period of reconstruction.

After nearly a decade of quiet rebuilding, Coordinator Takashi Ricol, Hassid’s son, gave Warlord Kiyomori Minamoto his blessing to remove an untrustworthy thorn from his side. The Nova Cat Prefecture, laying a mere jump from the capital of the Draconis Combine, was to be made reliable, and the untrustworthy Nova Cats were to be interned on reservations. The Nova Cats were ready, and they fought back, but Minamoto was prepared for that, and sent in more units to handle them. What he wasn’t prepared for was the entry of the Rasalhague Dominion, the Arkab Legions, and elements of Clan Sea Fox into the war. On the side of the Nova Cats. After three years of fighting, the Combine armed forces were on the verge of collapse, with Duchess Sandoval of Robinson steadily pushing forces up along the weakened border with the Republic. Even the Raven Alliance on their Periphery border was making its presence known with raid after raid destroying precious Combine BattleMechs and supplies.

The battle of Meinacos, where the Second Draconis Fleet flagship Siriwan exploded with all hands, was the final straw. Faced with the extinction of his realm, Coordinator Ricol requested a cease-fire with the Nova Cats, Arkab, Dominion, and the Sea Foxes. In the subsequent negotiations, he officially apologized for the criminal actions of Warlord Minamoto. The final peace treaty formalized Nova Cat and Azami independence from the Combine, and on his return to Luthien Warlord Minamoto was ordered to commit seppuko for his failure.

After another decade of rebuilding, the Combine is itching for another fight. Smarting at their defeat at the hands of the Azami and Nova Cats, raids are up along all borders, as the Combine Samurai MechWarriors make their prowess known. The Dragon was bloodied, but its fangs are still very sharp, and every realm that borders it has learned to fear the arrival of Combine raiders. The Urizen II, the last remaining Kirishima-class battleship, leads the Draconis First Fleet, supported by numerous smaller WarShips and DropShips. Recently seen on the border with the Raven Alliance, many wonder if raiding is the only thing on Takashi Ricol’s mind.

While furthest behind in technology, the Combine can build Inazuma-class destroyers, the new Kaga-class cruisers, smaller recon and anti-piracy ships, and JumpShips, at the Togura, Midway, Chatham, and New Samarkand yards, and the (mostly) restored factories of Luthien build BattleMechs at a rate only matched by Hesperus. The various OmniMech designs still built on Luthien are seen throughout the Combine, and many nearby realms, making up the bulk of the Combine BattleMech forces.

Factories
Chatham – Stellar Trek – Merchant, Invader, Star Lord, and Ashiko patrol frigate
– Tomori Trans Industrial – Vengeance, Rose, and Nekohono’o
– Wakazashi Enterprises – Lucifer II, Shilone, Oni, and Tatsu
Dover – Hinsdale Elec – Nagumo and Condor
– Wakazashi Enterprises – Slayer
Hachiman – Tanadi Computers – Various electronics
Hun Ho – LexaTech Industries – Cerberus
Luthien – BBP Industries – Intruder, Okinawa, Triumph, Excalibur, and BattleSat.
– Buda Imperial Vehicles – APC, Mobile HQ, Coolant Truck, and Tokugawa
– Luthien Armor Works – Jenner, Daimyo, Grand Dragon, and Charger BattleMechs. Raptor, Owens, Strider, Firestarter, Blackjack, Black Hawk-KU, Avatar, and Sunder OmniMechs.
– Matabushi Computing Equipment – Various electronics
Midway – Midway Shipyards – Inazuma destroyer, Neko-te pirate hunter, and Naginata escort frigate
New Samarkand – New Samarkand Metals – Demolisher, Schrek, and Behemoth.
– New Samarkand Shipyards – Yamato cruiser and Ono assault frigate.
Togura – Stellar Trek – Tessen Q-ship

Who is John Galt?

Last edited by Medron Pryde on Wed May 19, 2004 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:05 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

The main problems with the Azami worlds is that they are:

1) Spread out:

Albalii
Algedi
Al Hillah (FRR)
Al-Nair
Arkab
Camlann
Dabih
Deneb Algedi
Markab (FS)
Tukayyid (FRR)

2) Generally they are low tech, with Al-Nair being an exception.
3) Not usually aggressive as far as taking systems (but capable, nonetheless).

Of course, in the face of fighting for survival, they most likely would try to take and hold the Dieron Military District, where most of the Azami worlds are located as well as valuable industrial sites. With the absence of "Legitimate" Kurita leadership, I could see the Azami pushing for independance and even expansion, at least until the Kuritas returned.

Coordinator Ricol may find out that among the Azami, who were very well treated under the Kuritas, offenses are never forgiven, no matter how many centuries pass, especially when treachery is involved or even suspected.

"The enemy of my enemy is a friend."
Having friends like Clan Sea Fox, Clan Nova Cat and the Rasalhague Dominion, will assure that the Azami survive.

The United Azami Emirates
The idea that each system being a small principality is good (Emir = Prince) but the Azami would lean toward theocratic rule with mullahs and holy men calling the shots, sometimes a risky thing.

I like it...

MB

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:59 am 
Loki
Loki

The Dieron sector is held by TFR, but most of the rest of that District is held by the Azami. Some of the systems are independent, but most are Azami. They also control most of the sector that goes up to the Rasalhague Dominion.

The Combine controls as far down as Benjamin, so their borders there are REALLY close, but there tends to be a lot of independent systems seperating them otherwise.

And I think I'm going for Azami Caliphate. To me at least, it rings better.

As for that VERY nice list of planets you gave me, I'm going to double check the ones I had noted as going over to the Azami. The two in the FRR aren't going to jump ship but I'll have to make sure all of those are in Azami territory.

BTW, I didn't think about going with each system system being independent with a prince or mulah over each. Very good idea.

And as for their loyalities...oh yeah. One thing I've learned studying up on the Azami is that they are VERY loyal to the Combine, and the Kurita family. There is no way either they or the Nova Cats would have surrendered to Wobbly demands. It's just the way they're setup. But, the Azami HAVE gotten less loyal in the past when the Combine didn't treat them well. They are allies, not subjects.

Without the Kurita line in charge of the Combine, and with the Combine not treating them as honored allies...well....not good. And THEN they saw the Combine trying to take out ANOTHER honored ally...um...they look around at all the other "honored allies" and realize they are the only one left after the Nova Cats. Um. Now wait just one minute here....CHECK PLEASE!

There IS one Kurita left who theoretically COULD lead the Combine. Hohiro Kurita. But he is a Nova Cat, and with most of his father's allies killed or assassinated in the Jihad, he was ruled unfit for duty as Coordinator because the "other commitments" he's made.

Essentially, Ricol rigged it, after arranging for the deaths of most of the people who would stand up for Hohiro. Yes. The Combine is back to being the big bad guys. No more softy "scratch my tummy Victor" Combine. Takashi Ricol is a Coordinator the hardliners in the Combine LOVE. And his father used the Jihad to get rid of most of the people who AREN'T hardliners....

:rifle:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:41 am 
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Hohiro? He's the oldest son.

You're looking for the youngest, how was sent to the Nova Cats . . . Whatever his name was . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:49 am 
Scion of Coyote
Scion of Coyote

Quote:

You're looking for the youngest, how was sent to the Nova Cats . . . Whatever his name was . . .
Minoru.

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/flag-us.gif[/img] [img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/ ... lorida.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:03 pm 
Major General
Major General

Quote:
Quote:
But being big and bad and spread out, it'd take a lot of effort to wipe them out.
They're only 5 regiments, and they're not THAT far spread out. At the end of the FCCW, aren't they on Outreach and Tikonov, and nowhere else in any significant force?

I can understand not wanting to destroy anyone's favorite faction, but realistically, they should have ceased to exist loooong, long ago.

Not that BattleTech has anything more than a passing relation with realism.

-----

"The cookie told me to!"
"But they're so sweet!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:23 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
They're only 5 regiments, and they're not THAT far spread out. At the end of the FCCW, aren't they on Outreach and Tikonov, and nowhere else in any significant force?

I can understand not wanting to destroy anyone's favorite faction, but realistically, they should have ceased to exist loooong, long ago.

Not that BattleTech has anything more than a passing relation with realism.
Wolf's Dragoons Deployment [from FM: Updates]

Outreach: Beta and Epsilon Regiments, Wolf Spider Battalion, Zeta Battalion
Najha [DC]: Alpha Regiment
Kiesen [DC]: Delta Regiment
Tikonov [CC]: Gamma Regiment

Looks pretty spread out to me

[color=#400080][i]I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.[/i] - Confucius[/color]
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/ ... ng/EI3.png[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:36 pm 
Major General
Major General

Actually, that's incorrect, neko. According to FM:M(r), Alpha and Delta Galaxies are in the Combine, with the Wolf Spiders Battalion and Zeta Battalion on their way to join them. That leaves Gamma on Tikonov, with Beta and Epsilon actually on-planet on Outreach at the time of the Jihad (if the Wolf Spiders and Zeta have already shipped out - that's not entirely clear to me).

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/flag-us.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:06 pm 
The Walkin' Dude
The Walkin' Dude

Very, very cool universe, Medron. I like it a lot.

A few issues, though:

1) I don't really think that the Draconis March would break away from the rest of the FS, not with Tancred Sandoval being the husband of the First Prince of the Federated Suns. I could definitely see that with the Capellan March, but not the Sandovals.

2) I don't think the Sarnians would have the military power to secede, Jihad or not. Their military was basically nonexistant after 3059 (?) and this probably wouldn't change, given how heavily guarded (and untrustworthy) they were by Capellan forces. They only have two worlds, Medron, and the Capellans aren't going to give up a major 'Mech factory that easily.

3) I get the feeling that the Tamar Pact would probably combine with the Federation of Skye; their militaries basically combined following the FCCW, so it's not too much of a stretch.

4) What happened to ComStar? Or the Wolves-in-Exile, for that matter?

Other than those things, totally awesome, Medron. Keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:44 pm 
Scion of Coyote
Scion of Coyote

Quote:

A few issues, though:

1) I don't really think that the Draconis March would break away from the rest of the FS, not with Tancred Sandoval being the husband of the First Prince of the Federated Suns. I could definitely see that with the Capellan March, but not the Sandovals.

First Prince? :shocked: :wink:

Yeah, I should like to see more info on ComStar and the Wolves in Exile....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:47 pm 
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

*sigh*

If you are on the FS throne, you are a Prince.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:03 pm 
The Walkin' Dude
The Walkin' Dude

Yeah, see, so I do know what I'm talking about some of the time... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:27 pm 
Major General
Major General

Except that Yvonne is the Regent, not First Prince. ;-)

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/flag-us.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:03 am 
Loki
Loki

Quote:
Quote:

Minoru.
Ugh...I HATE my memory for names....It's somewhere between terrible and abysmal...that is why I was hoping someone could give me names of characters from their favorite factions they think would do something here....

*sighs*

Minoru....MINORU is the only major surviving Kurita that is known about. There might be someone on Prosperina or in one of the other uncontrolled sectors, but Minoru is the only surviving Kurita anyone knows about.

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:20 am 
Loki
Loki

Quote:

A few issues, though:

If you read the Technology of Destruction hardcover book put out for MechWarrior Dark Age, they have a lot of historical sidebars talking about things that happened in the universe. One thing was a certain Kurita Warlord trying to put the Nova Cats on reservations. See above. :D Another thing, was that Tancred Sandoval spent so much time on New Avalon during the Jihad, that another Sandoval deposed him and took over the Draconis March. Given that, it would be easy to see them going their way rather than hanging their butt out in the wind for New Avalon.
Quote:
2) I don't think the Sarnians would have the military power to secede, Jihad or not. Their military was basically nonexistant after 3059 (?) and this probably wouldn't change, given how heavily guarded (and untrustworthy) they were by Capellan forces. They only have two worlds, Medron, and the Capellans aren't going to give up a major 'Mech factory that easily.
Well, if the Capellan capital is the last to be hit, and the Wobblies are held up and can't go at it for a while because of reversals elsewhere, wouldn't that make some of the outlier provinces wonder if they were complicit in the Wobblie assaults on OTHER realms? By the time the Wobblies got around to smashing the Capellans flat, Styke, Sarna, and St. Ives were already on the verge of going independent or already HAD left. Nobody wanted to be allied with the Wobblies considering what was going on in other realms.
Quote:
3) I get the feeling that the Tamar Pact would probably combine with the Federation of Skye; their militaries basically combined following the FCCW, so it's not too much of a stretch.

Other than those things, totally awesome, Medron. Keep us updated.
There are other plans for the Tamar Pact and Wolves-in-Exile. Like in the official history, the real Wolves and Vlads merry band of barbarians link back up. When the Hells Horses drive into their backside, Vlad dies, along with the cream of his best forces trying to hold them off. Ward brings his Wolves in and manages to help the surviving Wolves stop the Horses. He takes over as the new Khan of a restored (though weak) Clan Wolf. As for Tamar. Who controls most of the old Tamar Pact? Clan Wolf. *Medron looks over at the Rasalhague Dominion and Raven Alliance* ;)

ComStar controls Terra, under the auspices of what is left of the Star League, and runs the HPG network under similar auspices. The ComGuards are, once again, independent of the Star League proper. Nobody wants to see another First Lord use the Star League to conquer another realm, so its permanent military power is heavily degraded as compared to what it had in 3063. ComStar is essentially using their time to rebuild the heavy losses they took against the Clans and the Word of Blake. If the Clans return, if anything else pops up, they want to be ready.

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:08 am 
Lieutenant.General
Lieutenant.General

Medron, you said that Minoru was the most well known Kurita survivor. So its possible that there are others waiting to restore their honor by retaking the throne. I was thinking that since the Azami are so loyal to the Kuritan line, that they would give any Kuritas support to set up a government in exile within the Caliphate.

Sten: The Dragoons have more than just their 5 line regiments. They have (according to FM:M(r)) Combat support Command, a combined arms regiment, and Outreach Command, a mech battalion, 2 armor regiments, and 5 inf regiments. So, that's still a lot of defensive power for one world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:54 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

*sigh* Medron, when are you going to be able to remember that WiE and the Wolves do not link up again in the real BT universe? :wink: Ths is the second time you've made that mistake here... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:35 pm 
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Quote:
When the Hells Horses drive into their backside, Vlad dies, along with the cream of his best forces trying to hold them off. Ward brings his Wolves in and manages to help the surviving Wolves stop the Horses.
You ment to say Kell there, right? ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:41 pm 
Curiously Strong
Curiously Strong

Well, given our aggressiveness, we Falcons probably have invaded at leaat once more, possibly under the guise of trying to "help" attack Terra (and If we have to conquer more worlds to get there, so much the better).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:57 pm 
Major General
Major General

Quote:
Who are known families or company CEOs who would be big on doing stuff like this? Is there anybody left of the Tamar Pact ruling family for instance? I'm just hoping to pick other people's minds, especially on their favorite factions...hehehe
My BT stuff is packed away (I'm moving in 2 weeks), but I seem to recall that as of 3067, the grand poobah of the Skye separatist movement is Robert Kelswa-Steiner. I don't remember the exact relationship, but the Kelswa's are (were) the ruling family of the Tamar Pact, I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

Quote:
Quote:

A few issues, though:

First Prince? :shocked: :wink:
The ruler of the Federated Suns is known as the First Prince, regardless of gender. In Yvonne's case, as pointed out a few posts ago, she is actually the Regent. She can't assume the throne as the First Prince, as she doesn't have the requisite military experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:10 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Medron, I agree for the most part, although (as usual) the canon was not so well researched on a couple of points:

Sunni vs. Shiites:
The Azami are Shia sect Moslems. What does this mean?
1) Conservative/Fundamentalist interpretation of scriptures.
2) Male-dominated (I allow female mech pilots in my unit on a d6 roll of 1 or 2); If strict guidelines are followed, only men would pilot `mechs or drive cars, for that matter... (Am I the only one to see the benefits here?)
3) They strongly believe in martyrdom and encourage it. (See 21st Century Iraq...)
4) The first three Imams were martyred by caliphs... The shia government is called an Imamate (Yes, it sounds rather clumsy), led by an ayatollah (sound familiar?). Saddam Hussein would have been classed as a Caliph (dictator).

The difference? Under Sunni moslems, you have some separation between religion and state. The state would be run by royal families, as in Saudi Arabia or caliphs, as in Iraq or Syria.

Emir (Prince) is also a term used for military commander, as is Sheik (Elder). The Azami Systems could be a collection of worlds under military command instead of political with close religious ties.

FYI
Sultan = King
Emir = Prince
Sheik = Elder or Chieftain
Bey, Beg = Lord
Faarish = Knight
Vizier = Minister (political)
Ayatollah = Minister (clerical) (Persian, "Sign of Allah")
Imam = Islamic equivalent to Pope (There have been twelve, the last disappeared in 941 and Shia prophecy states that he will return to rule the world with divine justice. This last Imam was also known as Sahib al-Zaman, "Lord of the Age." As`Zaman Bey is the same, in a different dialect.)

Call the political unit what you wish, I'm just giving you information based upon RL history...

MB
(Grammatical/spelling corrections made.)

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

Last edited by Mohammed As `Zaman Bey on Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:51 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Rehehehehe....

Now this looks fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:16 pm 
Loki
Loki

Quote:
Medron, you said that Minoru was the most well known Kurita survivor. So its possible that there are others waiting to restore their honor by retaking the throne. I was thinking that since the Azami are so loyal to the Kuritan line, that they would give any Kuritas support to set up a government in exile within the Caliphate.

Sten: The Dragoons have more than just their 5 line regiments. They have (according to FM:M(r)) Combat support Command, a combined arms regiment, and Outreach Command, a mech battalion, 2 armor regiments, and 5 inf regiments. So, that's still a lot of defensive power for one world.
The government in exile is actually a good idea. One I hadn't thought of. Theodore is dead, and all of his children except Minoru are dead or disappeared. There would be others out there, that probably would have been harbored by the Azami in the years after the Jihad. Their way of staying loyal to both the Combine AND the Kurita family. Hmm...interesting. I like it. Would actually give them another reason for supporting the Nova Cats when the Combine tried to take them down. I think I'll have to run with that one.

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:18 pm 
Loki
Loki

Quote:
*sigh* Medron, when are you going to be able to remember that WiE and the Wolves do not link up again in the real BT universe? :wink: Ths is the second time you've made that mistake here... :lol:
Unless I've misread, they do. As I have read, Vlad the Barbarian, along with his flagship, died in heroic battle against the Hells Horses, and Phelan's Wolves managed to go in and save what was left of the Wolves from being smacked up.

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:19 pm 
Loki
Loki

Quote:
Quote:
When the Hells Horses drive into their backside, Vlad dies, along with the cream of his best forces trying to hold them off. Ward brings his Wolves in and manages to help the surviving Wolves stop the Horses.
You ment to say Kell there, right? ;-)
Phelan KELL. Phelan Ward. He's been both. And my memory for names is less than perfect. You are correct...

:crazy:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:23 pm 
Loki
Loki

Mohammed...THANK YOU for that information. That rocks and gives me a lot more to write them up the way they deserve. As one of the more powerful factions out there, they should be fluffed well, and that helps. :D

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:49 pm 
Gauss Rifle Pimp
Gauss Rifle Pimp

Minor correction : In the official MWDA history, such as it is, the Wolves do NOT reconnect. At least, that's what I read from their website, I thought. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:56 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Since the Azami recognized the Kurita line as the spiritual leaders of the Combine, they would gladly host the rightful government in exile while defying the Ricol usurpers.

Now, if the mullahs (priests) of the Azami managed to agree on a jihad vs the Ricol regime, then you would see Sunni and Shiites forgetting their differences and volunteers would pour in from all over the Inner Sphere to fight (sound familiar?).

This gives me a few ideas for my own character... 8)

MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:54 pm 
Scion of Coyote
Scion of Coyote

Malakim is right, at least according to what was in the "Touring the Stars" series. Quote:

Close communication – even limited cooperation – continued between the fractured halves of the Wolf Clan, particularly through the chaos of the Word of Blake Jihad, when the Clan and Inner Sphere Houses united to face a common foe. Yet a long-hoped-for reconciliation between the “original” Wolves and those in Exile never materialized. Today, there are still two Wolf Clans, the “original” Clan, which claims an occupation zone centered on Tamar, and the Wolves-in-Exile, whose scattered enclaves dot Arc-Royal and other nearby planets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:04 am 
Loki
Loki

oh...oops...ahem. Well...ol' Vlad the Barbarian DID die...;)

Ah well. Just goes to show that TPTB don't always take the best story route...

:shocked:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:57 am 
Loki
Loki

The Human Sphere

Timeline

3060 – The Ridzik brothers defeated Emperor Baranov on Hall and proclaimed the creation of the Tikonov Free Republic.

3062 – Tikonov Free Republic (TFR) conquered Elgin.

3063 – TFR conquered Hsien. Capellan Confederation conquered St. Ives Compact.

3064 – TFR “rescued Capolla from anarchy” and destroyed the Fist of Mokal on Terra Firma, effectively bringing that world into the TFR as well.

3065 – War between TFR and Saiph Triumvirate declared. Tall Trees conquered by TFR.

3066 – Marian Hegemony conquered the Circinus Federation.

3067 – Saiph and New Canton conquered by TFR. The Ridzik brothers began peaceful relations with the Styk Commonality. Pryde Rock official joined the Marian Hegemony.

Word of Blake plans to destroy the Houses were compromised and some nations had time to prepare for their assaults. The Dragoon fleet, ready for the Word of Blake assault, held them off at great cost. Several Free Worlds League ships stayed loyal to the League and the skies over Atreus exploded into a fight that decimated both forces. The capitals on New Avalon, Tharkad, and Luthien were bombarded by heavy Word of Blake fleets, though the defensive rings around each planet, especially around Luthien, bled the Word of Blake fleets badly. Protector Jeffrey Calderon was killed when Samantha, the capital city of Taurus, was smashed by asteroid bombardment. Janice Calderon became Protector Erik’s regent.

3068 – With their forces drained more than expected, the Word of Blake quickly realized they were unable to cleanse the Inner Sphere as they had planned. They adapted. HPG messages were sent to various systems ordering them to abandon the Houses or die. Systems that didn't agree felt the fires of orbital bombardment when the next fleet traveled through, and that information was broadcast for all to see. Those that went independent or otherwise agreed to let the Houses hang in the wind were left to live in peace while the Wobblies went on to more important enemies.

In Free Worlds League space, information that Thomas Marik was a fake leaked by Word of Blake. Parliament, already on the verge of removing him, succeeded in doing so when even the Stewart and Marik representatives stopped supporting him. Free Worlds League effectively split into the major political blocks of the time and Word of Blake forces concentrated on the Marik Commonwealth.

Federation of Skye and Tamar Pact seceded from Lyran Alliance. New Syrtis declined to side with New Avalon and went independent.

In Capellan space, many systems joined the Styke Commonality rather than be part of a House supposedly allied with the Wobblies. Sarna Supremacy and numerous systems once a part of the old Sarnan government seceded from the Capellan Confederation.

In the Chaos March, the Tikonov Free Republic joined up with the Dragoons, Highlanders, and the Allied Mercenary Command to fight the Wobblies close to Terra while the Star League fleets tried to engage and stop the Word of Blake fleets.

3069 – Wobblie forces destroyed the factories built on Detroit by the Magistry and Concordat. A full regiment of Magistry BattleMechs lost on Detroit, and the Wobblie force split up to march across Magistry and Taurian space. St. Ives seceded from the Capellan Confederation, still untouched by the Wobblie Jihad.

With a Wobbly fleet bearing down on it, Robinson announced the toppling of Tancred Sandoval as the Duke of Robinson. Another Sandoval stepped forward to take the reigns and formally removed the Robinson Republic from the Federated Suns.

3070 – Wobblie forces smashed into the Marian Hegemony near Circinus, badly mauling the Aquilum Legion. Another force hit Alphard, killing Elena Logan and Caesar Julius O’Reilly. Imperator David Gladding took over the defense of the realm. Magistry and Concordat in chaos as Wobblie forces moved from system to system, destroying everything that fought them. Wobblie forces moved into Outworlds Alliance.

Regulan fleet turned Gibson into a glass exportation source with massed nuclear bombardment. Oriente and Marik fleets decimated while fighting a major action over Marik. Marik bombarded. Wobblie forces continued to shatter all comers in Lyran, Davion, and Combine space.

Hell’s Horses invaded Wolf Clan and Jade Falcon territories. Jade Falcon Clan invaded Lyran territory. Wobblie forces finally moved on the weakened Capellan Confederation, shattering its main fleet in combat over Victoria.

3071 – With most of the Hegemony in shambles, the Wobblie forces moved on Pryde Rock to deal with the ComStar factory there, but met a heavier than expected resistance from Leonis Legion and I Legio. Wobblie force destroyed. At Canopus IV and Illiushin in Magistry and Taurian space, heavy concentrations of AeroSpace and BattleMech forces, including the TCW Vandenburg over Illiushin, stopped the Wobblie forces in their realms. Clan Snow Raven moved into the Alliance and stopped the Wobblie force there cold.

ComStar/Star League fleet finally tracked down and shattered a Wobblie fleet over Dieron and Galax. Heavy losses on each side, and the factories were written off after heavy bombardment. Wobblie forces continued to ravage Houses Liao, Steiner, Davion, Marik, and the Combine. Sarna Supremacy, Styke Commonality, and St. Ives Compact began taking systems in the old Syrtis March.

Jade Falcon and Hell’s Horses incursions continued. Vlad Ward and his flagship died over Csesztreg, trying to hold off a Hell’s Horses assault. Ghost Bear Dominion joined the war with an assault on Clan Wolf holdings near the Free Rasalhague Republic and near the Periphery.

3072 – Wobblie forces in the Marik Commonwealth finally defeated by a joint Marik-Stewart-Oriente-Regulan force. Anduriens invaded Capellan Confederation to regain their worlds. ComStar/Star League fleet destroyed last Wobblie fleets in the Federated Suns.

Phelan Kell’s Wolves-in-Exile moved into Clan Wolf space to keep them from totally collapsing under the three-prong assault of Ghost Bears and Hell’s Horses. Hell’s Horses captured the Dark Nebula from the Jade Falcons and, in a trial, took Camelot Command from the Snord’s Irregulars elements holding it.

3073 – First major battle over Terra, with the Federated Suns fleet supporting the ComStar/Star League fleet. A smaller fleet moved into Lyran space to help them against the Wobblie fleet and the Jade Falcons.

Jade Falcon incursion stopped as they “reallocated” their units to handle the Hell’s Horses assaults. Wolves-in-Exile reintegrated into Clan Wolf after stopping the main Hell’s Horses assault at Planting. Ghost Bear Dominion assaults on Clan Wolf ended.

3074 – Last Wobblie forces in Lyran Alliance decimated. Second major battle over Terra. Clan Wolf assaulted the Jade Falcons, taking numerous worlds that were once part of the Tamar Pact.

3075 – Word of Blake forces left the decimated Draconis Combine to support Terra as the full force of the Star League began to weigh down on it. Third major battle over Terra.

3076 – The fourth major battle over Terra in the Word of Blake Jihad took place between the last of the Word of Blake fleets and the surviving Star League fleets. Word of Blake defeated and the ground war for Terra began.

3078 – Terra pacified and Word of Blake declared defeated by the Star League. The member nations of the Star League turned back to deal with the concerns about their breakaway provinces only to find that they were too weak to enforce their will.

3079 – Prince George Hasek of New Syrtis tried to get the production of St. Ives the old fashioned way. Conquering armies. The war that followed encompassed every Capellan Rump State and even the Taurian Concordat, pushing the Syrtis Federation military to the brink of defeat.

3085 – New Syrtis / Capellan Rump States / Taurian Concordat War ended.

3087 – Warlord Kiyomori Minamoto, with the blessings of Coordinator Takashi Ricol, moved to take over the Nova Cat Prefecture. The Nova Cats fought back harder than expected, and even the Rasalhague Dominion, Clan Sea Fox elements in the area, and the Arkab Legions stepped in to defend the Nova Cats, starting the Second Dominion-Combine War.

3090 – With the Robinson Republic sending heavy raids across the border into Combine space, and losses against the Dominion and Nova Cats mounting, the Combine finally sued for peace, ending the Second Dominion-Combine War. The Draconis Combine officially recognized the Nova Cat Clan and the Azami as being independent. Warlord Minamoto directed by Coordinator Ricol to commit seppuko for his failure.

In 3100, the major realms of the Inner Sphere are locked in a giant Piranha Principle Dilemma. They cannot conquer anyone else without risking their own destruction.

Who is John Galt?

Last edited by Medron Pryde on Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:38 am 
Scion of Coyote
Scion of Coyote

Now that's a history that is plausible! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:50 am 
Major General
Major General

What kind of damage are we looking at for the infrastructures of major states? You discuss the periphery in detail, but...

-----

"The cookie told me to!"
"But they're so sweet!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:50 am 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Here is something I posted back at Lords of the Battlefield a looonnngg time ago...

I know you wanted a simple reply, and I initially had one, but the more I got into it, the more details came to me. As it is, here is what I have come up with so far:

I would have had the Word of Blake start a Jihad, but I would not have had the Blakists be as liberal in its use of WMDs and Orbital Bombardment. Instead, I would have had the Blakists make use of existing political tensions in the various Successor States first (The old ?let them fight and we will finish off what?s left? approach?) to initially further their cause. For Example:

When the Whitting Conference of 3067 convenes, it is decided to end the Second Star League. This is the catalyst that the Word of Blake needs to spring into action.

PART I: Opening Shots

The Jihad begins in the Free Worlds League with the chance discovery at the League Central Accounting Office that someone has been siphoning an excessive amount of money from the League?s coffers. An investigation by the LCAO and the Free Worlds News Media finds a trail of evidence leading back to the Captain General. The Free Worlds Parliament convenes and calls upon Thomas to account for his actions. Under increasing political pressure (and against his Word of Blake masters recommendation), Thomas caves in and decides to spill the beans on everything. When Thomas appears before a closed session of parliament, he stuns them by revealing that he is an imposter. Before Thomas can reveal more to the parliament, the WoB strike by detonating a nuclear device, obliterating him, the parliament, and much of the capital city. With the loss of central authority in the Free Worlds League, confusion reigns. As an investigation begins into the attack, the various factions in the Free Worlds League jockey for control in the growing power vacuum. The growing political tensions within the League rise to fever pitch as units within the Free Worlds League Military start aligning themselves with these factions. Then the WoB initiates their next phase by ordering the Free Worlds League Military units which they have suborned over the years into action. These suborned units, masquerading as units belonging to one faction, attack rival units from another faction. What then ensues is a very ugly, multi-sided civil war with no single faction having the upper hand. On the Free Worlds League periphery, the Magistracy of Canopus takes advantage of the chaos of the civil war by occupying star systems that had belonged to the Canopians prior to the Reunification War.

At the same time the Word of Blake is stirring up chaos in the Free Worlds League, they do the same in other states.

In the Trinity Alliance (Capellan Confederation, Taurian Concordat, and Magistracy of Canopus), WoB agents release convincing "evidence" (BTW, since it was never revealed who killed Jeffrey Calderon, that is all it is, "evidence") that points to the Capellan Confederation as the real culprits in the assassination of Jeffrey Calderon (with he idea being that the Capellans killed Jeffrey, placed the blame with the Federated Suns, then arranged to put a leader more amenable to their designs - Grover Shraplen - in power). With this revelation, Shraplen is discredited and removed from power in the TC. The Taurians withdraw from the Alliance, sparking a fight with the Capellans. The Magistracy of Canopus, while disgusted with the Capellan Confederation's actions, initially opt to stay in the alliance. This changes when the Capellans, feeling that the alliance is falling apart, make a grab for Detroit. As a result, the Capellans begin fighting with the Canopians, who also desire possession of Detroit. At the same time, fighting breaks out between the Taurians and the Canopians over the status of the New Colony Region, with the Taurians advocating annexation of their New Colony Region worlds and the Canopians advocating the complete independence of the New Colony Region. In the midst of the confusion caused by the breakup of the Trinity Alliance, the St. Ives Commonality and the Tikonov Reaches erupt in rebellion in separate bids to break away from the Capellan Confederation (St. Ives for the obvious reasons; Tikonov because WoB agents stir up the pro Independent Tikonov movement [see Tikonov Revolutionaries in FM:CC]).

- I got the next idea from reading the The Nice Guys' "Seekers in Shadow" Fan Fic in the Forums over at CBT website or the Heavy Metal website. I think his idea for the Black Dragon Rebellion was interesting, so I incorporated it here)

In the Draconis Combine, the Blakists are secretly funding the Black Dragon Movement through a series of middlemen. The Black Dragons use the funding to raise several Regiments fanatical to the Black Dragon cause and suborn certain units like the Alshain Avengers. Not only did the Black Dragons suborn the Alshain Avengers (which were destroyed on Alshain), but have also gain the backing of other DCMS units, primarily amongst old school units that resent Theodore Kurita's reforms. However, in recent years, the Black Dragons also receive the support of those elements of the DCMS that are angered over the creation of the Irece Prefecture for the Nova Cats as well as the fact that Theodore Kurita has left the Draconis Combine's border with the Federated Suns vulnerable to attack (especially in light of Duke Sandoval's assault during the Fedcom Civil War). The Black Dragon rebellion erupts with Pro-Black Dragon units attacking pro Theodore units throughout the Draconis Combine. The worlds attacked include Luthien itself, where Coordinator Theodore Kurita is killed fighting the Black Dragon forces while buying time for his family (Hohiro's Family and Kitsune Kurita) to escape Luthien for the relative safety of the Irece Prefecture. It is left to Hohiro and Minoru Kurita to pick up the pieces and lead the fight against the Black Dragons.

In the Lyran Alliance, the Blakists stir up trouble by backing and starting up yet another rebellion in Skye. The Blakists make the following bargain with Duke Robert (?) Kelswa Steiner: they will give him funding, equipment, and troops (both Mercenaries and WoB Militia "advisors") in exchange for handing over the HPGs in Skye to the WoB to run.. The Archon and the LAAF's options for responding to this new crisis are limited as: (1) The LAAF is still rebuilding from the Civil War; (2) The Alliance still has Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf on one border; and (3) the Alliance must contain any possible spillover from the collapse of the FWL (see reasons 1 and 2 for why the LAAF is not going to exploit the trouble in the FWL for now).

In the Federated Suns, although the Civil War is over, internal tensions remain. In the Capellan March, there is great resentment towards the Davions for the Civil War because of the feeling that the Victor and Katherine Steiner-Davion ignored the true threat to the Federated Suns, the resurgent Capellan Confederation, and instead focused on their petty, individual grabs for power (that is, in the minds of the People of the Capellan March). Also, the Blakists have stirred up unrest on the Federated Suns planets surrounding Tikonov (See above). In the Draconis March, despite the loyalty of the new March Lord, Tancred Sandoval, there is resentment amongst the people of the March over the fact that Victor and Katherine did almost nothing when the Draconis Combine launched their reprisal assault against the Federated Suns (Although they seem to collectively forget that it was the Draconis March that was the aggressor in this matter). Other than these internal tensions all is relatively calm in the Federated Suns as the AFFS is not much shape to do anything but rebuild.

As for the Comguards and the nascent SLDF, the Comguards are forced to leave Skye with Robert Kelswa-Steiner?s deal with the Word of Blake. Otherwise the Comguards are still on station in remaining states that they are still welcome in. As for the SLDF, it is in a state of flux following the end of the Star League. The formations that were created prior to 3067 are stationed primarily on Tukayyid and the Rasalhague Republic. As for the Eridani Light Horse, with one Regiment on Huntress, two other Regiments in transit (one coming from Huntress, one going to Huntress), there is one Regiment guarding the ELH dependents on the SLDF Base on Dieron. With the outbreak of the Black Dragon Rebellion in the Combine and the resulting growing hostility towards the ELH presence on Dieron, the SLDF/Comstar High Command opt to withdraw the ELH from the Combine and relocate them to Northwind (with the Northwind Highlanders permission).

Along the Clan Occupation Zones, the Word of Blake form special raider units to stir up fighting between the Wolves, Jade Falcons, Ghost Bears, and the SLDF/Comguards. These units do so by using the same methods they used to initiate the Civil War in the Free Worlds League (by disguising their forces as one faction and attacking another faction). To an extent, this tactic succeeds in stirring up fighting between the Clans, but the raiders are less successful in baiting the SLDF. On the occasions when these raiders were cornered, the raiders fight to the death or commit suicide rather than be captured. In the case of the raiders that commit suicide, it is presumed by the Clans that these forces are either Dark Caste or Pirates piloting captured Clan Machines and take steps to crack down on piracy in their occupation zones. However, the Clan Watch begins to have its suspicions about these raiders...

That was what I was able to come up with initially. I have not figured out how everything goes down, but I will post some of my ideas and factions in a little bit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:48 am 
Scion of Coyote
Scion of Coyote

Another well-thought out and plausible history! Why couldn't TPTB have come up with something like these entries?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:29 pm 
Major General
Major General

Yes very nice and believable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:19 pm 
Loki
Loki

Yes...very nice.

As for the Inner Sphere versus Periphery construction power in what I'm going through.

Most large complexes have at least been damaged. The WarShip yards of Dieron, controlled by the Tikonov Free Republic after the Jihad, can only make the Inazuma and Tatsukmaki WarShips for instance. Mostly Inazumas with Tatsumakis taking much longer. New names of course...;-) And some general tweaks made to the designs, but that is essentially what they make now.

Dieron, and other large factories like it were priority targets of the Word of Blake and were HEAVILY damaged. Numerous once important worlds were damaged enough that they are no longer claimed by anyone because they are worthless now.

In general, when it comes to WarShip construction, the modern factions can only build corvettes and destroyers. Larger ships in current navies are ONLY those ships that survived the Jihad.

As for general production. Most of it is going into rebuilding the fleets and the BattleMech units. Vehicles (mostly ICE with some basic fusion, VERY few XLs and stuff on vehicles) and infantry are the basic defensive forces, with BattleMechs being the "special forces" that are used to destroy enemy forces while the defensive lines hold them. BattleMechs are the elite ground forces, but because of their cost are rare in comparison to vehicles and infantry.

As for general feel and general technology. It really depends. The Magistry builds anything that is entertainment oriented, so in many ways they have the most advanced technologies in that area.

The Taurians are known for building anything that makes it harder to spy on people.

The Capellans build stuff FOR spying, like thier stealth armor and other advanced stuff.

The Lyran merchant princes LOVE anything that makes it easier to make them money, so their technology is focused more towards financial stuff. But they are still known for having some of the largest BattleMechs and vehicles in existance. As states go, they are most likely to have expensive Light or extra-light fusion engines on vehicles and jazz. They have the money. They can afford it. In general, they have the best equipment.

The Draconis Combine was the worst hammered by the Jihad since they didn't fracture and most of the Wobblie forces hit them. Like the Federated Suns, they tend to have a lower technological level in their mainline forces. Unlike the Federated Suns, they are finding it hard to purchase better stuff. But the warriors of the Draconis Combine are, far and wide, considered the best in the Human Sphere. They will gladly die in battle, and their sheer ferocity in battle has caused many opponents to retreat in disarray when they should have won.

The Federated Suns lost most of its high-technology construction in the Jihad, and has been unable to replace it. The NAIS is still considered one of the best theoretical and practical research facilities in the Human Sphere, but the Federated Suns limited economy doesn't allow them to take advantage of that research except in small numbers. Most Suns units are low-technology affairs, however their training tends to make up for that. Considered the best trained and most professional military units in the Human Sphere, they are often contracted by New Syrtis and Robinson to support them against the Capellan rump states or the Draconis Combine. Much of the money they get from those contracts goes into rebuilding their infrastructure, and into building up their TRUELY elite special forces which are some of the most advanced units seen in the Human Sphere, incorporating advanced technologies from every major nation state. Much of those technologies are not exactly incorporated with the approval of said state. ;)

Generally, we are looking at something were construction numbers are way down. Economies are smaller as well. We are back to the raids of the Third Succession War style of fighting. No Clan Invasion or Fourth Succesion War style fighting. Nobody has the power to defeat or conquer anyone else, so they raid for advanced technologies they can't build.

Lyran light engines and Liao stealth armor are highly valued throughout the Human Sphere for instance.

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:32 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Another well-thought out and plausible history! Why couldn't TPTB have come up with something like these entries?
Umm, actually, they did.