Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:13 am 
Freedom Fighter
Freedom Fighter

Quote:
Mohammed & chainsawassassin, have you considered writing to BattleCorps? Yours are truly amazin work!
My stuff is to bey's stuff as bacon is to prime rib. No comparison. But thanks for the nod. As for why i don't... I'd have to say... Lazyness?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:18 am 
Freedom Fighter
Freedom Fighter

Quote:
Quote:
Mohammed & chainsawassassin, have you considered writing to BattleCorps? Yours are truly amazin work!
Why would they want to waste their talents on that site, there are better sites out there for them to get their work seen.
Hey dude... whats with the hate for battlecorps?

You know what... PM me on that. I'm curious but don't wanna threadjack 'bey and his awesome thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:35 am 
Stratego
Stratego

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why would they want to waste their talents on that site, there are better sites out there for them to get their work seen.
Hey dude... whats with the hate for battlecorps?

You know what... PM me on that. I'm curious but don't wanna threadjack 'bey and his awesome thread
Sent to you as asked.

To sum it up, I feel that you, Zey and the others HERE on this board are better then a lot of the stuff on BattleCorps, plus we don't have to join a club to read it.

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Quote:
My stuff is to bey's stuff as bacon is to prime rib. No comparison. But thanks for the nod.
Bey's writings have nearly flawless grammar. Yours not so, but I have more fun reading them :lol:

[i]You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.[/i]

[url=http://www.mekwars.org][u]MekWars[/u][/url]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:22 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

To those who believe that I should be writing for BattleCorps, thank you for the compliments.

I do plan to eventually submit stories but the Mohammed Bey story line is based upon an ongoing campaign and I do include things that do not conform to BattleCorps submission guidelines. I do have side stories featuring NPCs, such as The Compassionate, the Merciful... and others, mostly Azami or Arkab based, as BT fiction pretty much glosses over this significant canon community with little detail if any.

To be brief, the Mohammed Bey stories shall always be free to read. If I submit anything to BattleCorps, I hope to make whatever I submit well worth your subscription.

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:12 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
To be brief, the Mohammed Bey stories shall always be free to read. If I submit anything to BattleCorps, I hope to make whatever I submit well worth your subscription.
I'm looking forward to it :toast:

I really like how you describe daily life outside the combat. There aren't too much of that in any BT literature. I'm almost certain that any official material about this and marginal population communities (like the Azami) would be welcomed.

Hey, how about stories that have major involvement of Clan civilian castes either in Clan Homeworlds or in the Occupation Zones?

[i]You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.[/i]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

When I read Bey's newest addition to Forging of the Sword, something hit my eye from earlier post: lack of proper (training?) personnel and bureaucracy headaches of getting it. I guess it worked out, but would employment of mercenaries of proper background (good record of Cadre Duty contracts) been valid option?

And about the newest installment of the serie: war between Azami and Von Rohrs led Draconis Combine. If you (Mohammed Bey) have plans writing more about it, may I recommend you looking over Sand Devil Hover Tank in XTRO Primitives? Hovercraft, laser boat, primitive but nasty looking bugger. According fluff, it's in extensive use of Azami forces at the time (Age of War). Possibly good material for side stories detailing battles of that conflict.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:35 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

The problems of assembling an OPFOR training cadre are numerous. They have to be decent trainers and have sufficient experience and knowledge of the forces they are supposed to emulate.

At the moment, the Eight Arkab Training Cadre is unable to hire mercenaries as the DCMS Training Command has chosen to pay the bills and set the standards. Fortunately, all the ex-mercenary members of the unit are hired as contact employees and are not DCMS. Unfortunately, there is no budget to hire outside the unit so the Eighth must depend on the DCMS for personnel and the consequences are obvious -the unit isn't receiving the best people available. The best people available just aren't available -they are too busy on the clan front.

I began a storyline about the Von Rohrs and the Azami several years ago and I am still doing research. I have already several installments' worth, the main characters, etc., but I'm looking at finishing the entire story before I post it all.

Thanks for the reference! I'll have a look at it.

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:56 am 
Private First Class
Private First Class

Bonjour my Bey.

Reading this, I think this age of war project could be your submission to the Battlecorp (not knowing the guideline, I only assume that any era is open to fiction.)
It could flesh out the Azami peoples and that era of Btech easily.

Now, I'm only oping to see any update to your stories soon. :toast:

Yanick "Qc Mech"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Reading this, I think this age of war project could be your submission to the Battlecorp
Official answer:
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:27 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Lately I have read only little BattleTech related material. That little is Mohammed Bey's excellent story Travels with uncle Ahmed. I'm looking for more Mohammed's stories and bookmarking them.

But no new stories from Mohammed Bey lately. What's up with that? It's been almost a year since latest chapter to Forging the Sword and Running with the Pride is still hanging in cliffhanger. Are you already busy writing stories for BattleCorps?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

What's up?

The last year and a half has been very trying for me. After a long and expensive legal battle I lost the house that had been in my family for over fifty years. I have just moved to another apartment since then and was about to retire but that will have to be delayed.

As far as my fiction is concerned, I am still writing. After the BattleTech site crashed I was about to re-post my fiction but after looking over the revised stories I assembled for a pdf file I had to reconsider the issue for a variety of reasons:

My normal practice was to write a brief outline of a story then post the installments online in a format that allowed each installment, roughly between 3,500 and 4,500 words, to advance the main storyline as well as multiple, smaller subplots. To accomplish regular installments I had to edit out details and dialogue from stories in order to fit posting size restrictions. While a line here and there may not seem important in a single installment, in the long run, after fifty or so little installments, the material I've had to leave out is considerable as it includes information and subplots sacrificed due to an artificial barrier. At the moment I am still compiling the various stories, editing them for spelling, grammar, continuity, etc., and looking at solutions to the limits to installment size.

Another part of my earlier writing was that I would post installments literally as soon as I completed them -Occasionally before a complete proofreading or final editing. While I once made a point to post an installment every week or two, I could not possibly keep up with that pace while maintaining the kind of quality and depth of story that I desired.
The solution is to complete a story then post the work in regular installments, something that is an ongoing process as I have chosen the start at the beginning, filling in the many gaps of the "Travels with Uncle Ahmed" series. The original idea was to give a little glimpse of the main character's background and it turned out to be a good means to fill in many details about the Azami of which most BT enthusiasts have little knowledge as well as give my own take on mechwarrior training and academy life. The storyline expanded to give background information of several of the NPCs that followed the main character into mercenary service and back into the Arkab Legion.

I've barely started the ten years worth of mercenary stories...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:40 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Good to hear from you man :wave:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:37 pm 
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

:stupid: Sorry about your old place, though. :sad:

"He closes his eyes and remembers the night splattered with brightness, the sudden flare of erupting fuel, the mad chase as, supersonic, he bobbed and weaved among the hills and valleys of the Ozarks, the laws on his tail, burning for home …"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:47 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

There are plenty of people who are far worse off than I -'Nuff said.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:34 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
At the moment I am still compiling the various stories, editing them for spelling, grammar, continuity, etc., and looking at solutions to the limits to installment size.
Today I've read most of the Travels with uncle Ahmed 3. One error hit my eye: in story French is declared dead language. This needs a change becouse in A Time of War French is one of the secondary languages of Federated Suns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:00 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Quote:
At the moment I am still compiling the various stories, editing them for spelling, grammar, continuity, etc., and looking at solutions to the limits to installment size.
Today I've read most of the Travels with uncle Ahmed 3. One error hit my eye: in story French is declared dead language. This needs a change becouse in A Time of War French is one of the secondary languages of Federated Suns.
That was another victim of editing -There was a page long discussion on the evolution of language and why Standard (English) became Standard in the universe. The French in the opera Mohammed listened to was not the same French as spoken in the FS for the same reason why Standard is not the same language as English -Both languages had over a thousand years of evolution:

10th Century:
Her Claudius oþer Romana cyninga Bretene lond gesohte 7 þone mæstan dæl þæs ealondes on his gewald onfeng, 7 eac swelce Orcadus þa ealond Romana cynedome underþeodde.

20th Century:
This year the Emperor Claudius came to Britain, and subdued a large part of the island; and he also added the island of Orkney to the dominion of the Romans.

30th Century:
Yar d'alt UK Claudo kon Romani, maj' insl 'nent capo; plus Arcaibh 'swel Romani hege.

Anyway, the entire Travels With Uncle Ahmed series is being compiled with all the gaps rewritten. The original stories jumped around with gaps of several months -I'm filling in those gaps because I finally got around to making a complete timeline, schedule of academy semesters, vacations, school activities and other details that were glossed over due to post size limits and the very nature of the original story line, which was merely to provide some background information. After posing several basic questions to VaiDom, who has read all the early BT novels, and told me that there weren't any books that detailed day to day academy life. so the Travels series took on an unintended life of its own, enough to warrant a complete makeover and a promotion from informative fluff to a novel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:12 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Wow! Are you making similar overhauls for all your other stories? Do you have estimate when you can put first files on-line?

Other stories I've found from forums:
There I was
Footnote (2)
Forging the sword
Running with pride

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:46 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Wow! Are you making similar overhauls for all your other stories? Do you have estimate when you can put first files on-line?
1) Yes.
2) A solid schedule of publication is difficult -I'm looking for a new house and events of the last two years have delayed my retirement so mundane matters have encroached on my ability to work on my fiction -I used to be able to crank out an installment at work while on breaks. I no longer have that kind of time.

What I do plan to do is finish the Travels With Uncle Ahmed series as a full-length novel in pdf form -That is one project in which I have been putting most of my time. I'm working on dossiers of all the main characters and that is a work in itself.