Major
Major

Did your college degree help?

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/05/29 ... =webmail17

Post subject: Re: What's your major?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:09 pm 
Stratego
Stratego

Yep. Sure did help me. I have a job...that is what counts.

Darkness is a friend of mine. Sometimes I have to beat it back, or it would overwhelm me. Shirley Meier

[url]http://karagin12.livejournal.com/[/url]

The Wookiee, he's not wearing any pants!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:53 am 
Loki
Loki

Lee. And I hear he's worth a lot of money.

;)

Or so my mind trips up and goes to lala land when I read that question.

:stupid:

Seriously...Computer Science. And it got me my current job and the fact that I'm writing stories for a second living through a really complicated series of events.

Graduated
Got Job in Market
Market dried up and got laid off.
Found another job.
Met business owner building new business at said job and was offered a position at his new place.
Took business owner up on offer and been there ever since.

So I don't work in my field, but I did sorta get my current job because of it. Kinda. ;)

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:50 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

Started college, ran out of money and into hard reality, ended up in the Navy as a nuclear engineer. Did 20 years and retired, then took my technical skills from the Navy straight to Norfolk Naval Shipyard, where I now oversee radiation safety during work on nuclear powered ships. I haven't yet gone back to college, but between my Navy pension + bennies and my job, I'm doing pretty well without it. As far as going back to college goes, I've been looking at various possibilities; most recently I have been considering an OSHA health & safety type degree to build on my experience.

Last edited by Shades of Grey on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:16 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

BS Aerospace Engineering (yes, as a matter of fact, I AM a rocket scientist). But worked for most of my life as a mechanical engineer. Most recent years in programming and computers, though.

It all helps.

* There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. *

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:05 am 
Captain
Captain

I read that article before it appeared in the forum, and so here is my background.

- Worked in fast food after high school (of course).
- Worked at Sony building TVs (19" & 20" and 26" & 27" consoles, and 39" & 40" rear-projections).
- Realized I was going nowhere fast, so I joined the Air Force, where I learned to put BIG bombs on small planes. Did that for almost 20 years. Unfortunately, that has no applications on the outside (Creech AFB does use civilians to load the drones, but my arthritis won't allow me to do that anymore :( ).
- Worked at WalMart for three months as a dairy manager. actually, I was a Team Lead; unfortunately, I had no TEAM. So they fired me because I couldn't keep up with all the work. I didn't argue.
- Did the prep work for the 2010 Census checking addresses. Was supposed to be a six month gig, but due to new technology, it lasted less than three months.
- Went to school for three years on the 9/11 GI Bill, receiving two AS degrees (Business Administration and Accounting) and was working on the the BS degree in BusAdmin when the Bill ran out.
- Found that all the GOOD jobs that required my degrees needed a BS and/or a minimum of 2 years experience.
- So now I work for a call center that is a contractor for Express Scripts -that should sound familiar to my military family- (actually, we work for "MedCo, a member of the Express Scripts family of pharmacies"). And I do that for $10 an hour.

Thank God for my retirement, my 50% disability, and my food stamps, or my family would be living on ramen noodles in a shack under the overpass somewhere.

John

The first law of battle planning: "No plan survives the first contact intact."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:52 am 
Lieutenant, JG
Lieutenant, JG

Started Comm. College out of HS, got distracted by my freelance study in Human Anatomy (fancy way of saying the girl was more fun than the school), hopped around to a couple menial jobs, got tagged to help a friend grow a PI firm.
At a slow point in the business, I went back to school and got an AS in Info Systems Technology (ALL I learned was XP based), kept working the PI work, now looking for something not requiring Kevlar on a daily basis.

A friend will stop you from overreacting. A best friend will walk beside you giggling, “Someone’s gonna get it!”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:23 am 
Private First Class
Private First Class

Graduated High School in 78, I have PHDs in physics and astronomy. Due to health reasons I became disabled. I work as a Security Supervisor for 5 years till my legs and health gave out on me 12 years ago. Now I've lost all my higher math and most of my knowledge due to recent heart attack and stroke. I have total memory loss from time to time and currently I am living in a nursing home. But on the good side of things I have a wonderful wife and 2 great kids ( son 2 and daughter 6) who visit me 3 times a week. I still have a clear memory from childhood to about 10 years ago. I have PHDs but right now my mind works at a 4th to 6th grade level. My short term memory is mostly gone. I still enjoy battletech from what I remember in my past and what I read on here. about every 2 to 3 weeks I have total memory loss which last sometimes for a day or two. I am only glad its not been permanent.