Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Lost Aussie sub found
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:03 pm 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

HMAS AE1, the first submarine of the Royal Australian Navy, disappeared in 1914 with all hands and remained missing for 103 years. Now, at last, she has been found.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... ar-BBH5G9E

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:41 pm 
Major General
Major General

One of the things that always fascinates me about these searches is it's 300 meters down. Above ground from the air, 300 meters away in search terms is nothing. That's visible line of sight.

Underwater 300 meters may as well be another planet.

[size=80][color=#114488][i]
It seems very queer that we invariably entrust the writing of our regulations for the next war to men totally devoid of anything but theoretical knowledge.[/i][/color][/size]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:14 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

Yep. Searching underwater is a whole different ball game from searching on land.

- On the surface, unless you're lucky enough to have land in sight, there are no landmarks; just water in all directions. So good luck fixing your search location in the first place.

- Visual lines of sight underwater are limited, and below the light line, you're totally reliant on a limited set of instruments -- artificial light, sonar, maybe MAD. And if the silt kicks up, you're done with visual searching; you won't be able to see the length of your arm in front of you.

- Even when we know latitude and longitude of where the ship went down -- even if we have GPS coordinates -- the search areas are still huge. #1 even our best measurements have tolerances of error, even in the GPS era. #2 most ships don't sink straight down; they "glide" for some distance like a descending airplane. Depending on the ship's course and speed when it sank, currents, angle of descent, depth of water, and so forth, a ship might hit bottom miles away from where it left the surface. There is actually a whole sub-branch of mathematics devoted to underwater search theory dealing with all those factors, which developed in great part thanks to the loss of USS Scorpion. But that's its own story...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_search_theory

Not to mention that the southern Pacific and Indian Oceans are some of the deepest and least explored regions on Earth. Thanks to Cold War submarine warfare research, we know more about what's under the North Pole ice than we do about the ocean within 1000 miles of Australia. Remember that Malaysian flight that went missing down there? I read something from one of the search team scientists that while they still haven't found the plane, they're consoling themselves with the side effects of the search. The loss of life is tragic, but in the process of searching, they've been making advances in hydrographic science. Mapping new territory, testing new gear and ideas, finding several old lost shipwrecks, and other such things.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:24 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

More about AE1, including some details about why the search was so difficult. Rough underwater volcanic terrain that isn't sitting still...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_AE1