Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:27 am 
General Know it All
General Know it All

Does any one know is there 'canon' Colors for Spaceship (Dropship, Jumpship & Warship) & Aerospace Fighters anywhere on the internet as I have not seen any in any CBT books that I can recall, as I've just brought a couple of the IWM's Spaceship minis and besides White have no idea what color to paint them. Help .
Thanks,
Dave.

Last edited by Davion_Boy on Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:12 am 
Tormentus Maximus Nastius
Tormentus Maximus Nastius

Quote:
Does any one know is there 'canon' Colors for Spaceship (Dropship, Jumpship & Warship) & Aerospace Fighters anywhere on the internet as I have not seen any in ant CBT books that I can recall, as I've just brought a couple of the IWM's Spaceship minis and besides White have no idea what color to paint them. Help .
Thanks,
Dave.
I believe when AT2(Revised) is released, there will be a really cool color section in it that shows the color schemes of all the factions for their WarShips and Fighters. Either MacAttack or Sherherazade can confirm that for sure. However, I recall that being done for this book.

Warner

Standard Answers:
# 1: "If it works for your game, so be it."
# 2: "Because we say so, that's why!"
# 3: "If it ain't published, I can't tell you, so wait and see."
# 4: "The product will come out when it's ready, and not a moment before."
# 5: "We apologize for the inconvenience."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:29 am 
General Know it All
General Know it All

Thank You Warner. I will look out for it when it's released.
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:47 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

The Camo Specs website has a few fighters painted up, including a VERY nice Slayer from Hell's Black Aces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:40 pm 
General Know it All
General Know it All

Thank GS I will check them out.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post was during my first visit to a gaming shop many many years ago when I first brought my very first Battletech mini (a Shadowhawk) in 1988, I saw the Aerotech box set with the RED Samurai ASF with Fed Suns markings on the box lid very impressive to say the least.......oh the fond memories. :D
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:02 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

The following paint schemes are CANON and were used to paint the color plates that will appear in AT2 Revised. IIRC, Drew Williams, one of IWM's sculptor/painters, posted these schemes as part of a push to get other painters at LotB involved with minis that are going to appear in the book.
Quote:
AT2 Paint Schemes –
Inner Sphere

Capellan Confederation
The House Liao symbol is displayed prominently on a hull of Capellan green. Raised superstructure and equipment is light gray.

ComStar (Word of Blake)
Both ComStar and the Blakists employ a simple white color scheme. The Word of Blake sword on a black field helps to differentiate between the two fleets. A ComStar squadron may once have given rise to stories of the mysterious Vandenberg White Wings in the Periphery.

Draconis Combine
House Kurita’s naval traditions descend from those of the twentieth century’s Imperial Japanese Navy. Not surprisingly, the color scheme adopted (sometimes called the “Yamato style”) harkens back to those surface vessels. The flanks and dorsal surfaces are solid slate gray, with the ventral surfaces a distinctive red. The Kurita dragon is always displayed prominently.

Federated Suns (Federated Commonwealth)
Initially a solid red paint scheme was employed on major structural members. Black stripes were later added to commemorate the WarShip losses in the Reunification War. The Federated Commonwealth adopted these colors with the reintroduction of WarShips—and the reestablished Federated Suns has retained them.

Free Worlds League
Bands of Marik purple encircle an otherwise unadorned hull. Across these are displayed the Marik eagle, the ship’s name and hull number, and (in an addition made by Thomas Marik) a heraldic shield. Cruisers sport lions, Carriers display a unicorn, gryphons appear on Destroyers and Frigates and Corvettes use an eagle in their unique devices.

Lyran Alliance (Lyran Commonwealth)
The breakaway Lyran Alliance was quick to reject the “tainted” Davion color scheme. The traditional Lyran Commonwealth navy dark gray and Steiner blue scheme was quickly introduced.

Star League
Members of the SLDF wore a sash bearing a pattern denoting their homeworld with their dress uniform. The practice was expanded to include the ships of the first Star League. Vessels received a hull pattern (usually a combination of light and dark gray and one other color) unique to its world of construction. In addition, a heraldic shield design unique to each ship was unveiled during the launch ceremony. Over time this would be amended to commemorate acts of courage, honor and sacrifice. Long-serving ships proudly carried beautiful and intricate shields, though few would earn the converted golden sunburst of a Martial Olympiad winner.
Although ships provided by the member states of the reformed Star League display the Cameron Star, they retain their original colors.

Periphery

Outworlds Alliance
Possessing few WarShips, the Alliance never adopted a standard color scheme.

Magistracy of Canopus
The Magistracy Navy was hunted down and destroyed during the Reunification War. The fleet used a turquoise and black scheme.

Taurian Concordat
At the outset of the Reunification War the Taurian navy handed the Star League several defeats. Their WarShips used a tan color.

Clans
The Clans inherited many WarShips from the SLDF Exodus fleet. Like much of their Inner Sphere heritage, the SLDF colors were cast aside by Nicholas Kerensky. One of the most striking differences from Inner Sphere navies is the absence of hull numbers on Clan vessels.

Blood Spirit
With their ever-shrinking fleet and limited resources, the Spirits make do with bare hull metal.

Cloud Cobra
The Cobras have retained the old Star League colors on their Exodus-era ships, but have replaced the unique heraldic devices with their Clan emblem.

Coyote
A base color of light blue with gray highlights is employed by the Coyote fleet.

Diamond Shark
Adopting the coloration of their totem, the Shark fleet uses a two-tone gray, with blue-gray on the dorsal surface blending to light gray on the ventral surfaces.

Fire Mandrill
The Kindraa each use distinctive color schemes. Payne-Beyl-Grant employs a dark green with black and orange, Faraday-Tanaga prefer a mid-green with red trim, Mick-Kreese-Kline have a striking yellow, green and black scheme. Kindraa Matilla-Carrol use black and yellow accents over a brick red.

Ghost Bear
Ever pragmatic, the Bears use a solid slate gray scheme with the Ghost Bear insignia displayed prominently on the bows.

Goliath Scorpion
The Scorpions have gone to great pains to develop a disquieting organic dark green color scheme reminiscing of the carapace of their totem. This is applied to major structural members, while the rest of the hull uses the ubiquitous gray thermo-coat.

Hell’s Horses
This Clan uses dark gray with highlights of red flames around thrusters and weapon ports.

Ice Hellion
The Hellions combine a light gray and white scheme with a narrow red stripe running long the flanks from bow to stern.

Jade Falcon
A dark Falcon green base color is used, with lighter green and bronze highlights. The color is often used in a stylized feather pattern around the bows.

Nova Cat
The Cats use solid black on the hull, with a stream of blue stars along the flanks—thinning out towards the bow and stern.

Snow Raven
A pure white color scheme dominates the Raven’s large fleet. Vessels with Galaxy assignments display that unit’s insignia, while those of the Fleet Command Star show a Khan’s rank star.

Star Adder
Until the Absorption of Clan Burrock, the Adders used dark blue trim on black. Captured vessels retain their original red-brown color however, possibly a gesture to reconcile Burrock Warriors to their new status.

Steel Viper
The blue-green of the Viper’s scales forms the basis of their WarShips color scheme. Darker green “scales” are sometimes used on larger surfaces.

Wolf (Wolf (in-Exile))
Mid-gray is used by both Wolf fleets.

[color=#400080][i]I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.[/i] - Confucius[/color]
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/ ... ng/EI3.png[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:10 pm 
General Know it All
General Know it All

Sten, that is Really Helpful, Thank You. :thumbsup:
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:26 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

No problem, happy to oblige.

[color=#400080][i]I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.[/i] - Confucius[/color]
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/ ... ng/EI3.png[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:06 pm 
Lieutenant, SG
Lieutenant, SG

Quote:
I believe when AT2(Revised) is released, there will be a really cool color section in it that shows the color schemes of all the factions for their WarShips and Fighters.
Now this is something to look for :-)

Any hope of a Btech Art book be published?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:53 pm 
The Last Boy Scout
The Last Boy Scout

Looks like I got to go & buy a whole lot of light & dark grey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:51 am 
Loki
Loki

Well....I like this very much...hehehe

Thanks for the info dude...

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:02 am 
Major
Major

Great information. Has come at just the right time as our group is getting ready to paint all our AS fighters finally in faction colors.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:55 am 
Loki
Loki

I need to buy a York sometime...it would better if I could buy a Riga, but that isn't coming out for a while...if ever...and I guess the York is close enough for me...

hehehe

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:26 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Not an attack on you DB, just something that occured to me.

I can see painting insignia on warships but why on earth would you paint the whole hull? If the ship enters an atmosphere, hull weathering is going to be a moot point and the useless paint literally adds tons to the mass of the craft.

-Jackmc

-PFC, David Hetzer 33rd I.A.C., 1st Davion Guards, on the art of strategy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:45 pm 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

Because jumpships and warships don't enter atmospheres, and because sailors have been kept busy painting their ships since the dawn of naval warfare. "If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't, paint it."

Actually, your point is valid about ASF's, small craft and dropships. They'd need repainting after every atmospheric transit just because of the scorches of reentry. But who knows, maybe that's part of the plan...

Tech: "Why do I have to keep repainting these shuttles? They just get scorched again anyway!"

Officer: "Because they need to look good for the CO."

Tech: *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:52 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
They'd need repainting after every atmospheric transit just because of the scorches of reentry.
Most craft are designed so that only a portion of it is subject to reentry heat. Like the bottom of the space shuttle gets scorched, and therefore is never painted, but the rest doesn't appear as if it needs painted after reentry.

Plust, current space craft as we know them are normally unpowered during reentry, therefore come in quite hot (in more ways than one). A fusion engine powered aerospace fighter, small craft or DropShip comes in unpowered, and could easily keep its speed low enough that such heat and discoloration would not be a problem. The only reason to come in hot would be if you're in a real hurry, I would think.

* There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. *

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:56 pm 
Major General
Major General

Quote:
The only reason to come in hot would be if you're in a real hurry, I would think.
And if that's the case, then you'll need to repaint anyway (not to mention that repainting would be the least of your worries after that ;-)).

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/flag-us.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:04 pm 
Major General
Major General

I can confirm that AT2 Revised will have a color section about warship paint schemes, as I just put the preview of the first page from that section up over at cbt. (along with more contents previews)

You know the place...
http://www.classicbattletech.com

[size=80][color=#114488][i]
It seems very queer that we invariably entrust the writing of our regulations for the next war to men totally devoid of anything but theoretical knowledge.[/i][/color][/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:03 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Because jumpships and warships don't enter atmospheres,
Yeah, that was my point. Your warships do not need paint because they aren't going to weather unless you enter an atmosphere, and at that point the warship's paint job is going to be the least of the crew's worries. Plus the tonnage could be applied towards cargo mass or something.

-Jackmc

-PFC, David Hetzer 33rd I.A.C., 1st Davion Guards, on the art of strategy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:12 am 
The Last Boy Scout
The Last Boy Scout

Quote:
Quote:
Because jumpships and warships don't enter atmospheres,
Yeah, that was my point. Your warships do not need paint because they aren't going to weather unless you enter an atmosphere, and at that point the warship's paint job is going to be the least of the crew's worries. Plus the tonnage could be applied towards cargo mass or something.

-Jackmc
No a Warship in a vacuum does not weather. However I think people wanted to know was what colours WOULD each fleet paint there ships for no other reason than to make their Warship Minis look nice. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:26 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

Actually, there IS weathering in space, just a lot slower than in a thicker atmosphere. You still have dust, chemicals and so on in space, they're just much thinner.

So is painting a warship NECESSARY? Probably not. DESIRABLE? For symbolic reasons, at least, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:33 pm 
Major General
Major General

Not only that, you can use it as a way to keep the able hands busy and out from underfoot. Send them out to repaint regularly. (picture the opening credits to Red Dwarf)

On top of which, while there are a lot less particles in space, they will have a lot more effect considering the velocities dropships and warships can reach.

[size=80][color=#114488][i]
It seems very queer that we invariably entrust the writing of our regulations for the next war to men totally devoid of anything but theoretical knowledge.[/i][/color][/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:20 pm 
Master Tech & Major Scrounge
Master Tech & Major Scrounge

Yes I agree with DS and Grey. In one of A. C. Clarke's novels he went so far as to put a shield of ice on the nose of one of his ships that weighted something like 20% of the ship's mass to protect against dust. They had to rebuild it occasionally due to errosion. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:11 am 
Loki
Loki

Yeah...like after they hit a micromote and it wiped out 20% of the ice shield.....

:shocked:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:42 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

See? Yet one more reason dust is a serious health concern....

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:16 am 
Team Bansai Tech Specialist
Team Bansai Tech Specialist

Does, in space, color really matter? Everything is Black or Light Black or Dark Black...

:-?

A Dragon in the disguise of a rabbit, is still a Dragon...

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/flag-us.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:41 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Quote:
Capellan Confederation
The House Liao symbol is displayed prominently on a hull of Capellan green. Raised superstructure and equipment is light gray.
Slight correction for that one...

Was supposed to read...
Quote:
Capellan Confederation
The House Liao symbol is displayed prominently on a hull of bright pink with a yellow stripe running from nose to tail alnog the dorsal surface.
Hopefully the correction will make it into AT2(R).

:smurf:

[i]"Listen, and understand: that fish is out there! He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and he absolutely will not stop, EVER, until you change his water!!"[/i] :fish: