Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:54 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

This was my entry in the "War Buddies" contest over at the LotB site. The contest is now over so I thought it would be fun to post it up.

“5 minute timeout in HELL”

............We were working as a “Hunter - Killer” team on the far left flank of this current fiasco !!

Someone higher up the pay grades decided that an erupting volcano would be a great tactical position for a surprise flanking move. Operating as an self-directed independent unit attached to the Third of the 62nd Recon, we were battling the environment as well as our opponents.

We had our “bait and trap” routine pretty well down pat. I would set up in a nice spot and Jason would start doing his “wounded duck” routine. Sure enough without fail, a single enemy Recon mech or a pair of enemy mechs would spot him and close rapidly. I guess visions of downing an injured Atlas can still excite a Mechwarrior.

It was just a little bit FUBARed today. We were roasting in our cockpits, our mechs were constantly being pelted by ejecta raining down, vision hampered by heavy smoke, and someone had stuck a pillbox-OP right across our line of movement.

Somehow the S4 during his briefing neglected to inform us of this pertinent fact. So, we decided to wait and see if the pillbox would take an ejecta hit or get swept away in a lava flow. When neither of those things happened we resorted to “rock-paper-sissors” to see who got to go in for a visit.

“I hate when I lose”............As I started picking up a ridiculous amount of incoming fire from the
pillbox, Jason skirted over to the left and walked right up to the damn thing.

Within a few minutes the pillbox was silenced. Jason came around the front and collasped his mech into a sprawled heap next to me. I just sat my mech down looked over at Jason and wondered if Hell looked like this place..............................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:23 pm 
C.O., 1st Kilted
C.O., 1st Kilted

:shocked: OTOH, maybe I won't try to get up to HobbyTown so I can finish painting the minis I got for Christmas.

Teemo

"Three Shall be the Number of The Counting; And the Number of The Counting Shall be Three "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:31 pm 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sounds kind of like they gave up. Not that I blame them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:56 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

In my original first draft I did have Jason dying, sprawled out.

I had the narrator crying and asking how he was supposed to tell their parents he failed to protect his kid brother.......

I edited it out , I thought it sounded too corny..................