Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:02 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

Concerning "Palettes that build on other palettes". I really like the idea of incremental palettes but I can't figure out if this is something I can utilize myself with the massive custom palette I am designing (all new graphics, no HMMap graphics). Is this feature unique to the HMMap B/I/A Palettes, or is there a way I could use it too?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:08 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

B/I/A Palettes? Ah, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, yes.

Yes, these are Incremental palettes. That is (and I'm sure you know this) the Beginner palette is loaded, then for Intermediate, it uses the Beginner palette, but adds additional graphics to each type, and finally Advanced adds more graphics to the same two palettes.

You can use it too, by adding graphics to an existing palette, either one included with the program, or your own. Let's say, you want to keep the Beginner palette, as it includes much of what you want, but you want to use different graphics to add to it to, in effect, make your own custom Intermediate palette. Load the Intermediate palette, then Save As a new name, and change/delete/add any any hexes or graphics that you like.

It sounds a bit like you want to change all the palette components (your massive palette). If you already have it designed as one, massive palette which you intend to use, to make it incremental, I'd load it, make sure the most common (basic) graphics are listed first, and delete those above it (that will end up in intermediate or advanced palettes). Save it As a new, custom Basic palette. Load the massive palette again, (I haven't done it quite this way, but think it will work), delete all those included in the Basic palette, then select it to be used by building on your previously loaded palette. You can continue that to the more advanced palettes. Note that too large of palette(s) can take quite a while to load.

Hope this helps.

* There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. *

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:13 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

I forgot the most important thing when working with palettes specifically (and HMMap and other HM programs in general):

RUN AS AN ADMINISTRATOR! Just making a copy of a palette, or making changes to one, renaming, etc. does file operations within files in the program's Palettes folder, and Windows does not like that Windows Vista/7/8/10 doesn't like anyone messing around with the Program Files folders. I disagree with that, and prefer all files pertaining to the programs be kept in one area, and to do that, you need to run as Admin. Not doing so can make 'Mechs impossible to fine, crash the program, and everything in between.

* There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. *