Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re-imagining HM Aero
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:45 pm 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

I wonder how hard it would be to code a simplified version of HM Aero that reflects ONLY the current Core Rule Books...TW, TM, TO, SO. It seems to me that all the excess code supporting the umpteen obsolete rule sets, weird UK/THB/etc. weapons, et al could be dropped, and then all that would be necessary would be to bring what remains up to date. I would be willing to help what I could with it, such as contributing to a Kickstart or whatever. I know that backwards compatibility with current .hma files would be a major PITA, so I would willingly help re-create all the canon units for the new program, or whatever else I could do.

The same goes for any of the other HM programs, really. I would really love for these programs and this place to come back to life...

Post subject: Re: Re-imagining HM Aero
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:05 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I would be all in on a "re-visioning" of the look and simplifying of the rule set. But this time I will not contribute any designs .... would not want them to end up in a TRO again with no due process. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:31 am 
Loki
Loki

I could see revamping all of the programs to do that actually.

Just stop with the reverse compatibility and do modern rules only. It would certainly be easier to program.

And if people wanted to use the older designs or weapons, they could just use the older programs. :)

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:45 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

Just FYI, reverse compatibility is *NOT* the problem.

The design process, with so many items with specific limitations/contradictions/missing data, is the daunting part.

Making a level 1 mech designer is easy, lots of people can do it in a day or two of coding. Heck, even implementing a lot of level 2 stuff isn't that hard. But each little piece you start adding adds some extreme complexity after a while. Eventually you end up with a project that is far more than most folks can handle. This is why we see so many developers start writing one, get some base mech designer knocked out, then the project quickly dies.

On top of that, there are a *LOT* of holes in the books now. I can find over 1000 questions (seriously, I could list them if you want) that need to be answered to have a legal design software.

And finally, the reason we don't have any new designer software, and I'd presume the reason Rick hasn't updated HMP, is that time is money and battletech designer software doesn't sell enough to pay for the time it takes to invest in writing a full blown application. I'm curious to know how much rick actually made on them all, vs how many hours he put in.

I do work at a company and we take stuff like this, or old products, and update them. Based on what I know of the design system, which is quite a lot, I wouldn't touch this project for under $250K initial investment, and project completion would be contingent upon CGL's response to inquiries. It would take about 2.5-3 years to complete. These are just guestimates though, as I'd have to actually itemize each portion down. It would be a CF of a project though based on what I know of the IP.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:30 pm 
Loki
Loki

I agree fully. :)

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?