Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:42 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

I installed all of the programs as Administrator. I am able to launch everything but they all crash at some point. Almost always immediately after printing to PDF, and often if the program is just sitting idle for a while.

I see from other posts here folks seem to have been able to get it working. I didn't see any log files in the HMPro directories to look for errors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 pm 
Captain
Captain

Yes, same problem has been happening with Aero. Mostly when sitting idle, but a few times when I was right in the middle of something and lost some work on a design.

Lyran-ism: You have two cows. One starts a business and becomes insanely rich. The other buys rank in your military and subsequently loses three assault regiments and two worlds to a band of pirates in Locusts.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:25 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

I have Aero, Battle Armor, Lite, Map, Pro, and Vee and the same thing happens on all of them on Windows 10. Completely random times. Sometimes I open the program and let it sit there and it will crash. Other times I can be in the middle of doing something. I've tried all the tips from the website and forum and tried running them as administrator.

BTW, love the programs, just hate when they crash. Anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:50 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Other than the troubleshooting suggestions on my web site (http://www.heavymetalpro.com/windows.htm), you might restart and run the HM program before running other programs, so it's the only one running. I know that when I'm playing the new BattleTech game from Hairbrained Schemes, Pro crashes quite a lot if run at the same time (which is a shame, as I'm checking out configurations and such for use with the game). Windows and Windows programs seem to have it in for each other. ;-)

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, BTW.

* There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. *

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:42 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

I am getting the crashes as well, but am also experiencing problems with the custom weapons. I can add weapons up until the point I close the program or it crashes. and after that point I cannot add to the file or edit any of the weapons already input. changes will stay until I close the program or it crashes and then all changes vanish... :(

Well Heck. Despite the fact that the file was deleted repeatedly while I was fighting with this problem, when I looked at it's properties it was marked read only... Go figure :ohplease:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:33 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
Despite the fact that the file was deleted repeatedly while I was fighting with this problem, when I looked at it's properties it was marked read only... Go figure :ohplease:
The HM programs store data files, and weapons files and such, in the Windows Program Files (32) folder. These days, that's a no-no, per Microsoft. Personally, I think that's an incorrect decision: I like all my program and data files for a given program in the same directory. Anyway, that's why I have users run the programs as an Administrator, so they can write to, delete and modify files there. If you're browsing to the location, you may find the file properties different than when you're running as an Admin. Also, when NOT running as an Admin, Windows will be saving ANY file in the HM directories to a weird and not easily found location, rather than where you're expecting them. So you cannot depend on the files you're viewing actually being what you're using. Be sure to run as an Admin.

* There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. *