Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 11:13 am 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Well, I finally received the new copyright wording and information last night, so the light at the tunnel is /not/ a train, but rather is your copy of HeavyMetal Plus being readied for shipment! There are only about 45 separate items that have to be changed (all program files, help files, readme files, covers, CD labels, outer covers, etc.), so this is going to be a very busy weekend for me, but I /will/ ship all pre-orders on Monday. I appologize for the delay, and appreciate your patience.

FYI, the main thing that changes is the copyright wording, because BattleTech and all BTech trademarks, and even the HeavyMetal program copyright, it appears, are now the property of WizKids, LLC. FASA logos have been removed, and the game is being officially referred to as 'Classic' BattleTech (I always liked Classics!). However, to prevent confusion, the game rules and books are still referred to as FASA's 'Classic' BattleTech.

It should be noted that I have no working relationship with WizKids, and at this time no plans to work on any projects for the 'New' BattleTech. But all copyrights, including HeavyMetal, have now been transferred to the new BattleTech owners, WizKids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 5:38 pm 
General Know it All
General Know it All

Cool ,Look forward to seeing the light (in the tunnel). You deserve a rest then Rick , Not to long though .....HMAreo <GRIN> .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave Hill on 2001-09-14 14:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave Hill on 2001-09-14 14:39 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 6:08 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Cool. Its FINALLY gonna ship. I was disappointed when it didn't ship this Monday (but then, even if it had shipped on Monday I still probably wouldn't have it due to USPS not being able to get planes off the ground). I've really been looking forward to this one so that I can get the official hmp files for the 3025 mechs and vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 6:10 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I forgot to ask in my previous post if the program versions in HMPlus will be the latest available or if I will need to download and install the patches after installing HMPlus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 6:55 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

No, you won't need to download anything. HMPlus will include the latest versions of all the programs. In fact, they'll include newer versions than are currently posted for downloading; after I start shipping, I'll be updating them on the web site, and then later posting all the standard 'Mech and vehicle data files as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 2:05 am 
Lieutenant, SG
Lieutenant, SG

Great forums and even greater news Rick :smile: I've been really looking forward to the entire suite. The delays are understandable, all things considering. Regardless, thanks for continuing to provide us Battletech players with the best product and support out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:25 pm 
Major General
Major General

Thank you, Thank you. Was getting woried what with all going on. Keep the faith Rick, and keep up the great work. BTW, who really needs the WizKids?

Pain heals, Chicks dig scars but GLORY lasts forever!!!!!!!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 6:57 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Soooo...

Are the pictures going to be downloadable?

[i]"Listen, and understand: that fish is out there! He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and he absolutely will not stop, EVER, until you change his water!!"[/i] :fish:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 10:48 am 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
On 2001-09-17 03:57, MacAttack wrote:
Soooo...

Are the pictures going to be downloadable?
No, I'm afraid not. There are too many of them for me to maintain on my web site. Plus, I feel that those who get HMPlus ought to get /some/ special benefit not available elsewhere. Of course, I /will/ have all the 'Mech and vehicle data files up, probably next week, as I have promised, including all the custom designs that people have posted on the web site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 11:08 am 
Loki
Loki

Oh don't worry....SOME of the 'Mechs will be available.....I'm sure I can...ahem..."obtain" some for PRI....

hehehe

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 12:14 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Somehow thought you would say that Rick.

[i]"Listen, and understand: that fish is out there! He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and he absolutely will not stop, EVER, until you change his water!!"[/i] :fish:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 10:04 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Just to confirm that the first copies of HeavyMetal Plus did indeed ship first thing this morning. The post office indicates that they don't expect substantial delays, but you never know, so allow a bit extra time. I feel that HMPlus is the largest compilation of BattleTech programs and information ever available, and am quite proud of it. I hope you enjoy it!

* There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. *

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 2:35 am 
Major
Major

You are a God-send, Rick. It's damn hard to get much in the way of Battletech in the global equivalent of the periphery (New Zealand) and to know that all this is just an e-mail away is fantastic. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 11:08 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Rick

I know you want to reward people buying the latest offering but what about those that have bought all 3 previously (like me).

If you are short of space on your site then let me know and I'll host them on mine.

Simon Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:08 pm 
Major General
Major General

Rick,
Thanks fot the confirmation that you have shipped. No one that I know really takes the time to confim anything anymore. The write up is incredible. For those of us who appreciate programs but do not program our selves can understand now what the delay has been. Keep up the great work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:27 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
On 2001-09-18 08:08, Dragon Slayer wrote:
I know you want to reward people buying the latest offering but what about those that have bought all 3 previously (like me).
I've spent one hell of a lot of time getting HMPlus together, far more than I ever had anticipated. (Of course it also includes far more than I ever had anticipated.) To be honest, I wouldn't make all the data files available for free if I hadn't said that I would early on. I don't make much money on this business (last year's W2 indicated a total profit of less than $500 from it). But I do need the little income it provides in order to keep doing this. Otherwise, it will quickly become impossible to justify all the time and effort. I hope people can understand this.

I personally think the $55 asked for HMPlus is a hell of a bargain, considering all that is included. And while I agree that I should reward those who have bought all three programs as well, I think that crediting them 75% of what they paid for all the programs is reasonable, especially considering that they've had the use of them for up to a year.

Also, I've done all this work for current and new users of the HeavyMetal series of programs; posting it all on the web site for anyone to download defeats that purpose.

Bottom line: IMHO $10 for a CD containing all this additional information is not unreasonable for those who have bought all three programs. And I feel the other prices, especially the discounted upgrade prices, are very fair.

* There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. *

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:35 pm 
Tai-sho
Tai-sho

Rick,
I've e-mailed Randall with the WizKids twice and he has responded both times so far. One of those questions was about any possible provisions for custom designs and/or a way to covert old B-Tech to their new system. Although he stated that their was no such provision thus far he didn't rule out the possibility in the future. Seeing what you have done with these programs would you consider creating a program to convert old B-Tech to new B-Tech if they supplied the rules? I know you said in an earlier post that you "have no working relationship with WizKids", but I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks for the great work,
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:11 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
On 2001-09-18 13:35, Drake Draconis wrote:
...Seeing what you have done with these programs would you consider creating a program to convert old B-Tech to new B-Tech if they supplied the rules?
I'd do more than that, if possible. Given the required rules or calculations involved, I'd like to add the ability to print out ClickTech "record sheets", or even dials, for any standard or custom Classic BTech design. But I'd need something that really worked, in other words, either the method they use to determine them, or a reverse-engineered method that worked really close. And if this ability were included with HMPro (etc.) it would have to be okayed by WizKids.

While I really do hope to do that, I'm not sure such information will be forthcoming from WizKids. To be honest, it's probably not in their best interests to do it, and so it may never get done. And for their gaming purposes, it's only important that the Point Value of a unit match its capabilities. And that it at least "feels" like the original BTech unit. So it may well be a WAG, confirmed by playtesting, more than a calculation. Now I and/or others will try to reverse-engineer it, but if it isn't really official, then it couldn't be included in HMPro. A separate utility? Maybe. In order to keep my foot in the door on this and other such information, I've signed up to be included on the CT playtest team. But we'll just have to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:12 pm 
Major General
Major General

Rick, Please do not consider making a program to convert until all other areas are covered for "Classic B-Tech", i.e. HMAero, and MW3 character generator. There are many who do not plan to convert. Classic's have always been better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:17 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
On 2001-09-18 15:12, Khanjohn wrote:
Rick, Please do not consider making a program to convert until all other areas are covered for "Classic B-Tech", i.e. HMAero, and MW3 character generator. There are many who do not plan to convert. Classic's have always been better.
Oh, I won't. The New BTech won't be out until sometime next summer, and I intend to have HMAero and HMWarrior done prior to that. Plus, I don't think I'm talking about a lot of time to add such a feature to HMPro, or even to make a separate program. I look at the calcs involved as being something on the order of BattleForce2 calculations, which are really rather complex, but not when compared to the rest of the program.

Not to worry: I won't let you down by transferring my energies to the New BTech, at least not anytime soon. My mission is to provide all I can to help all of us continue to play 'Classic' as long as interest exists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 6:34 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

the new BattleTech is being called ClickTech? that just *sounds* stupid. is there a site somewhere for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 11:10 am 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
On 2001-09-19 03:34, archangel wrote:
the new BattleTech is being called ClickTech? that just *sounds* stupid. is there a site somewhere for it?
Well, ClickTech isn't the correct name for it. I'm not sure the final name has been decided. But 'ClickTech' has been used a lot because it's representative of the click base as well as BattleTech. Lots of combinations are being thrown around the news groups and forums, like ClickyTech, BattleClick, New BTech, BattleTech: Pheonix Rising (sounds official, but haven't really seen it anywhere), MageTech (after WizKids' Mage Knight game), etc. My guess is that it will be called either just BattleTech, or something to do with MechCommander (due to the popularity of that series of video games). I do know WizKids is referring to the 'old' BattleTech as Classic BattleTech, which is a phrase I started using immediately upon hearing the news, so I guess that term is okay.

I was going to post a link to their web site, but surprisingly, none of them seem to work right now, so I'll wait until I can confirm the link is correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 12:34 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Okay, the addresses I had were right, but wasn't responding for some reason. The latest image they've shown for the new BTech is a hovertank, at:

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/battletech/ ... _mechs.htm

Their first 'Mech is at:

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/battletech/ ... mechs1.htm

You can choose other links on these pages for more information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 7:54 pm 
Tai-sho
Tai-sho

THAT'S GREAT RICK IT WOULD BE NICE TO BE ABLE TO PRINT OUT A "CLICK" BASE SHEET I HOPE IT WORKS OUT. ALTHOUGH I DON'T REALLY THINK THAT THEY WILL MAKE SUCH RULES THEY DIDN'T COMPLETELY RULE IT OUT, SO THERE IS HOPE.

THANKS AGAIN,
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 8:05 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

well, i'll take the tank; they can keep the game. (sigh) i can't believe that now i'm going to have to justify myself when i talk about BattleTech. "no, no - the *original* one. the one a trained monkey *couldn't* play."

(grin) yeah, you *so* have to finish HMAero before touching this [censored]. on another note, by brother and i are having a *grand* time reading stackpole's essays.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: archangel on 2001-09-20 06:18 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:41 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ok, today I just sent in the mail $120 for two Priority Mailed HM Plus programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 5:58 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

...and there was much rejoicing! (raaayyy!)

:smile: