Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:45 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I'm not too keen on the Word of Blake Jihad backstory or the Dark Ages storylines in the Battletech universe (of course I have some reservations about the basic Battletech history as well).

I've read the forum rules, but I still don't get just how much crtical discussion of Jihad and Dark Ages is allowed.

Can someone clarify this for me.

Battlemechs are kings of the battlefield....
...but most battles are not fought on fields..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:13 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Basically, don't directly insult real people (other posters who disagree with you or the Jihad writers). Disagree with the ideas instead.

You'll probably get more mileage sharing your ideas in a logical fashion rather than just saying "this sucks," or longer rants to that effect.

"Woo, that was bracing! They don't like it when you shoot at them. I worked that out myself." --Mal, Firefly

"Going bonkers from EI or DNI is pushing it. I mean how many Crusaders or Super Wobbies are sane to begin with...." --RockJock01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:26 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

I'd also like to emphasize that it is not appropriate to come downl on Dark Age ideas in a post discussing Dark Age. That is, I (and others) would not appreciate it if, during a topic I started about the Jihad, fiction, DA, etc. if someone stopped by just to say that the whole idea sucked. That wasn't the purpose of the topic, and would be considered off topic, something that would just cause an argument. Like if someone asked for othe opinions of others about the best Clan 'Mech, and another person posted that the Clans sucked and shouldn't be in the game.

As to the Dark Age mini game, if you don't like it, don't play it. But don't try to convince others it's crap and they shouldn't play.

All peoples' ideas are welcome, including disenters, but people who like what's happening have rights too.

* There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. *

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:30 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Fair enough.

So if I bought and read a Dark Ages novel (I've read one or two) and someone has a thread about the novel, it is okay if I come in and say, "I didn't like this or that, but that character at the end was interesting"?

Battlemechs are kings of the battlefield....
...but most battles are not fought on fields..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:37 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Sure. That'd be fine. You don't even have to say something was good about the book if you didn't like any of it. I think Rick was trying to say, "Don't threadcrap."

From the dumpshock.com Shadowrun forums:
Quote:
Thread Crapping is the fne art of either adding statements to or making a new post to a thread solely for the purpose of flaming or being extremely negative regarding the subject being discussed. They serve no purpose other than to add a highly negative tone to the discussion.

An example of Thread Crapping would be something like this. Member A posts "WHat caliber of ammo do you think is in a Colt Manhunter?", and Member B replies with "Why would you ever use a Manhunter, it's a giant pile of [crap]. Only retarded players would take that gun."

"Woo, that was bracing! They don't like it when you shoot at them. I worked that out myself." --Mal, Firefly

"Going bonkers from EI or DNI is pushing it. I mean how many Crusaders or Super Wobbies are sane to begin with...." --RockJock01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:36 am 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
Sure. That'd be fine. You don't even have to say something was good about the book if you didn't like any of it. I think Rick was trying to say, "Don't threadcrap."

From the dumpshock.com Shadowrun forums:
Quote:
Thread Crapping is the fne art of either adding statements to or making a new post to a thread solely for the purpose of flaming or being extremely negative regarding the subject being discussed. They serve no purpose other than to add a highly negative tone to the discussion.

An example of Thread Crapping would be something like this. Member A posts "WHat caliber of ammo do you think is in a Colt Manhunter?", and Member B replies with "Why would you ever use a Manhunter, it's a giant pile of [crap]. Only retarded players would take that gun."
Or even more so: "Why do you condone/use guns and ammo are good, when they kill people all the time?!"

As Cray says, questioning something, or even saying you don't like it is fine, in the right context.

For example "I hate Dark Age stuff" would be an appropriate answer for "What do you all think of Dark Age stuff". It would be an /inappropriate/ answer for "How should I best use my Dark Age stuff." One answers the poster's question, while the other states an opinion that not only does not answer the question, but quite clearly questions the poster's choice of game/whatever the first place.

* There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. *