Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 11:46 am 
Major General
Major General

As a retired SF medic let me assure you medics are armed. Only concious objectors are not armed. Most infantry platoons had m-16 with 1 m-60 machinegun. Some times 2 m-60. M-203 were distributed among the platoon and the number was different per platoon. In vietnam it was an M79. The m-203 was in developement. Movie are great and often show equipment that "they" have. Now on the other hand a well trained "A" team can provide devastating fire power. But we worked mainly from ambush and with the natives. Not on a soap opera just clarifying facts. The infantry platoons in the book are scaled down and if I were rating them then they mainly would be green. Perhaps adding damage for ratings will help you.

Pain heals, Chicks dig scars but GLORY lasts forever!!!!!!!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 2:23 pm 
MackAttack

for purpose of damage, a battlemech is so large that in Mechwarrior and BattleTech the roll wasn't to see if the Mech was hit... More Like seeing if the Mech was DAMAGED...

therer was no 2 hit...

and with Support Class Automatic Weapons a battlemech would get hit multiple times, 1 for each hex it moved through (BT/Mechwarrior Scale)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 4:08 pm 
actually, the guys in the book are regular class when you dont add in ratings...

they had a few factors...

Specialized Knowledge of mech damage, a mech engineer with a heavy rifle was a Bad thing to go against... codified as a + to damage modifier...

etc...

actually, i messed up in my statement earlier...

Mechwarrior 1st Page 78

for standard weapons... Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns, etc (Not Tranqs or Bows) Roll to hit, at ranges from 1 hex to 6 hexes (not forthcoming, as to wether or not the hexes are BT scale or MW scale... with modifiers from 0 to 10, and only some weapons have range... from this I would say the chart is BT scale...

then there is the roll for damage... all capable weapons damage on a roll of SnakeEyes, but some damage on boxcars, still others are capable of damaging on numbers as low as 9

the SRM, the most powerful infantry weapon (not classed as a infantry support weapon yet) is for to hit
0 +1, 1 +2, 2 +2, 3 +4, 4 +4, 5 +5, and 6 +6

and damages on rolls of 2, 9, 10, 11, 12

----------------------------

BattleTroops P30

no to hit roll, a Mech is too easy a target

the to damage roll is always 11 (for personal weapons (rifle, pistol, shotgun), may elect to use either punch or kick table, no charge
-
Area Affect weapons get base to hit of 4, mod by wound and partial cover, if you want to place high or low its a to hit mod of +2, making it harder to hit.

Damage is resolved as for personal weapons
--
Support Weapons function as Area Affect Weapons, only they do their stated APV
--
Note Automatic weapons (of any class) attacks a mech in every dot of its fireing arc that the mech enters (smart money is on kill the PBI before moving to the next dot)

--------------
Mechwarrior 2nd

regulated mech combat to suppliments? umm? possibly using the same rules as referenced in TR3026 and MW 1st

--------------
Mechwarrior Companion (a MW 2nd book) p47

roll to hit as normal (p54 MW 2nd), only use the B-Tech target (BTC:TROW p37) modifiers with an additional -3 modifier

for each 6 rolled on the damage dice (in the weapons stats, each weapon has a specific number of dice to roll to determine damage, some weapons having as many as 10 dice) you do 1/2 point of mech damage, round down. roll on hit location for entire shot at once.

(P48) when you are on the mech (swarm attack) you locate a vulnerable spot (succesful perception check), then you roll the damage dice - the first 6 means you scored 1 point of damage, each additional 6 mean you roll for a crit, if you roll 8+ on the crit roll (2d6) you score 1 crit
------------------
Mw 3rd Edition p128

base Target number is (5 + BT modifier for turn*2) apply the target size modifier (-4 for mechs and elephants) and the MW3rd range modifier,

Resolve the attack normally using an armour level of 10 (weapons with Armour Pen level of below 5 have functionally no chance...) hardest thing to factor in is its a table, and not a direct progression (such as 1 BT damage for every 10 pts of MW damage rolled)
---------

well, wifey calling, off to lunch...

in summation, I think that the "easiest" to work with would be working from the MW vs Mech rules that were in use when Infantry was first brought into the game... and then modifying the new infantry weapons into the MW 1st and/or B-Troops stats... the modifications would only need to be done once, then the damage would be known with a simple percentage chance... the rolling 6's version is hard to codify, expecially when you have to factor in multiple chances of success... (Wayyy too random... does not lend itsself to tables)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 1:09 am 
gaaa, I am NOT anono-mouse

:sad:

can you give me my post back?
the long winded one right up above this one?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PerkinsC on 2001-09-30 22:11 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 10:29 am 
Kommandant-General Loki
Kommandant-General Loki

Alright another question.

How indepth are the Lifepaths going to be. I know Rick has mentioned, possibly expanding them. But how far. The FWL, Draconis Combine, Mercs, and some others were pretty much ignored.

Also is there a possiblity of doing Life paths, based on the date of the game. If youre playing in 2750, will there be life paths for it.

Just wondering ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:59 pm 
Loki
Loki

We would (I hope) be able to make our own life paths, so we could look forward to people posting life paths here on the HMP site....

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:08 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
As for personal weapons being able to damage 'Mechs. I doubt they should be able to. Think about it, a guy in an Abrams isn't afraid of anyone packing anything short of anti-tank weapons (which, I belive they have the equivalent of in MW3, haven't perused the book in a bit so could be way off base). I think it would be silly to be walking down the street in a 75 ton monster and have to worry about the goober on the corner with a Blazer rifle.
Probably not, but I wouldn't want to be his buddy riding around in the Sheridan. I've tested this feature of MW3ed extensively. It is very hard to signifigantly damage a mech with anything less than a satchel charge. Even SRM's are underpowered. However, you can still ruin a light mech's day with a little planning and luck. The msot signifigant impact of this is not the difficulty in damaging BM's but rather the fact that this makes even the lowliest powered Battle Armor riduclously powerful. If you GM a munchin(s) and he starts asking for Battle Armor, you better have the opposistion ready to start packing some of their own.

-Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 11:24 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Battle Armor is slightly weird too with small arms fire.

As for life paths, it will be interesting to be able to add/customise, but will add to the fun for Rick.

Would be nice to be able to enter the First Star League Life Paths I have left over from a campaign in that era.

(Yes, more rules I came up with :grin:)

[i]"Listen, and understand: that fish is out there! He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and he absolutely will not stop, EVER, until you change his water!!"[/i] :fish:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 11:31 am 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
On 2001-10-19 08:24, MacAttack wrote:
As for life paths, it will be interesting to be able to add/customise, but will add to the fun for Rick.
Although it's a little early to be sure, I feel like I have to write a life path engine which includes entry of custom life paths in order for /me/ to be able to easily and logically enter the standard ones in. Assuming that I do, it's only logical to make it available to users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 11:37 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I haev not looked at them from the point of view of suh a project, i think there are some bits in the some of the official life paths that could make such an engine un-simple...

If you can do it - great - but then you also have to polish up the interface to make it possible for us dumb pilgrims use it too. :smile:

Going to add to the work (thinks of custom Battle Armor)

[i]"Listen, and understand: that fish is out there! He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and he absolutely will not stop, EVER, until you change his water!!"[/i] :fish:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

Quote:
If you can do it - great - but then you also have to polish up the interface to make it possible for us dumb pilgrims use it too. :smile:
THem thars fighting words pilgram. Some of use are ide hard pilgrams.

And Remember "It's always darkest before the Storm. :cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Khanjohn on 2001-10-19 09:00 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:57 am 
Loki
Loki

*Medron looks at the post above and sighs*

I rest his case....:grin:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:17 pm 
Kommandant-General Loki
Kommandant-General Loki

Are there currently any plans from FANPRO, to expand on the current Lifepaths. Talk from FASA before they went belly-up, was that the Mechwarrior companion was on the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 4:53 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Only thing so are I have seen info on is a new TRo with the MW4 'Mechs (as seen in the Upgrades records sheet book) and (I assume) the personal creations of the German group who are doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 1:29 am 
C.O., 1st Kilted
C.O., 1st Kilted

German BattleMechs? So, who's going to tell the French? :crazy:

Teemo

"Three Shall be the Number of The Counting; And the Number of The Counting Shall be Three "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 12:48 pm 
Kommandant-General Loki
Kommandant-General Loki

The French, les not get them involved. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:19 am 
Kommandant-General Loki
Kommandant-General Loki

Question:

Are there going to be Affiliations, for clan Smoke Jaguar, and Burrock in the HM Mechwarrior.

Seems to me like they're needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:07 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Of course, in some published life paths the affiliations determine your paths of progression. But sure, in addition, you'll be able to affiliate with any group or unit, and just type in or make up your unit as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:55 pm 
Kommandant-General Loki
Kommandant-General Loki

Thanks Rick,

The main reason I asked is that they werent published yet. Hopefully, this wont be to much of a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:14 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

I also would like to have the ability for people to add custom life paths, either of their making, or based on future available literature. While this is going to be complex, I would like it also to enter the included life paths in into a compatible and logical format. That's would I would also use to enter them, as I used a version of the custom weapon editor to enter standard weapons.

At least that's my thought now. That program is /not/ going to be the fun, easy project I initially thought it would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:15 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well, I will not have to redesign half the sheets to make it work this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:21 am 
Major General
Major General

Finally got the life paths from Classic btech site. They look really good except that there is only one academy for the Draconus Combine and none for the FWL. Have I missed something, thought all of these were expanded in the new house books.

Pain heals, Chicks dig scars but GLORY lasts forever!!!!!!!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:18 am 
Loki
Loki

The older Field Manuals were designed when MW 2nd was still the law of the land.....:sad:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 8:29 am 
Kommandant
Kommandant

Location: Austin, Texas, on assignment from the Skye Republic
Quote:
On 2001-09-30 22:09, PerkinsC wrote:
gaaa, I am NOT anono-mouse

:sad:

can you give me my post back?
the long winded one right up above this one?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PerkinsC on 2001-09-30 22:11 ]</font>
The best way I can think of to reclaim your post, is to quote it, then go back later and delete the anonymous one, or ask Rick to.

Should be fixed now, though, since they disabled anonymous postings. :grin: :grin: :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: klingon on 2001-11-08 04:30 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:58 am 
MechMeister
MechMeister

I'm not sure you can edit an anonymous post, as how would the BBS know which anonymous it was. Anyhow, his post concerning it brought his post count back up to where it should be. :wink:

And you're right, I haven't seen any anonymous posts for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:49 pm 
Kommandant-General Loki
Kommandant-General Loki

I havent seen any new "Official" Life Paths for the Draconis Combine, or Free Worlds League.

However there are some on the net. These include the FWL, Dracs, Comstar, WoB, Clan Nova Cat, Merc, and New Star League. My problem with these however, is that they seem to be way unbalancing.

Especially the House Marik/FWL. You can take a character through academy, then through two tours, and come out with a bonus of +4 or better to some skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:00 pm 
General Nuisance
General Nuisance

Hey Rick,
I know its from MechWarrior 2 but will you be able to incorperate the information from the covert Ops manual?Image

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Khan Joseph Mallan on 2002-01-18 14:00 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:06 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
On 2002-01-18 14:00, Khan Joseph Mallan wrote:
I know its from MechWarrior 2 but will you be able to incorperate the information from the covert Ops manual?
I'm afraid that I really don't know at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 3:11 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

I think Rick has been quite clear that he'll enter (or have entered) the MW3 lifepaths, and will allow for entry of original ones and customization of official ones.

In that light, there will definitely be ppl who will provide the MW2 info, on their own. So...no worries, mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 12:44 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

True, Revanche. Also, I've moved this topic to the HMWarrior forum, where I think it's more appropriate. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:42 am 
Kommandant
Kommandant

Quote:
On 2001-09-30 11:23, PerkinsC wrote:
MackAttack

for purpose of damage, a battlemech is so large that in Mechwarrior and BattleTech the roll wasn't to see if the Mech was hit... More Like seeing if the Mech was DAMAGED...

there was no 2 hit...

That makes sense. It's the size of a huge barn, and only a hundred yards away.

If you can't hit it, I'm telling your local Department of Public Safety...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:44 am 
Kommandant
Kommandant

Rick, forgive me if you get asked this question repeatedly, but is there an ETA on MechWarriorPro?

Or is that more along the lines of "you'll get it when you get it, you... and quit asking"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 12:22 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I suppose this translates to "Is it ready yet?"

:razz: :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 1:09 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
On 2002-01-29 01:44, klingon wrote:
Rick, forgive me if you get asked this question repeatedly, but is there an ETA on MechWarriorPro?
I originally was hoping for 2nd quarter 2002, but HMAero is getting further and further behind, and HMWarrior is getting more and more involved (based on posts and ideas). So no, I'm afraid not. Any answer I came up with at this point would be a lie, and I'd rather not do that. Let's wait until HMAero is done first, okay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:39 am 
Kommandant
Kommandant

No prob. I'd love to provide input on that one (the HM Aero) but it's outside my area of expertise.