Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 6:55 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Rick - I hope I will not have to rework <i>these</i>...

One useful feature would be not only the ability to create a character, but to also do the game "admin", so that skill points aquired and character improvements could be recorded.

Compaired to making the life paths work - this should be easy. :grin:

[i]"Listen, and understand: that fish is out there! He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and he absolutely will not stop, EVER, until you change his water!!"[/i] :fish:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 7:46 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Yes, I obviously haven't gotten very far in design, but I figure there will be a number of "modes" that you will be able to design a character in, all using the same life paths (I would hope). Normal or official mode would be right by the book. You select the path, the program rolls the dice for you and gives you the results, then you continue to the next step. No backing up, no re-rolling. Then a mode that allows X number of re-rolls, allowing you to retry certain events you don't like. Then the God or GM mode, where you choose from all selections, making up the character as you see fit. The mode should print on the design and record sheets, so people know how you made it.

Anyhow, that's the idea that's been in the back of my little mind for quite a while. I'll have to see how it works in practice. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 7:59 pm 
Kommandant-General Loki
Kommandant-General Loki

Works for me.

However, I would suggest instead of God, made by House Steiner. After all were the cheesiest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 9:14 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, but I was thinking of once the character has been generated.

The character advancment rules for characters post-generation i.e. being played, are different from tinkering with a character during generation.

OK - This is taking the idea of HMM beyond mear character generation, but it would be nice to print out crisp new character sheets for each new adventure that reflected the current state of the character, not just their stats at the point where character generation ends...

If this makes any sense???

[i]"Listen, and understand: that fish is out there! He can't be bargained with, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and he absolutely will not stop, EVER, until you change his water!!"[/i] :fish:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 11:31 pm 
Lieutenant, SG
Lieutenant, SG

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that Rick has thought of this as well. I'm not a programmer and haven't programmed in years (Does the word BASIC mean anything ta ya? :smile:) But i think he understands that a good Character sheet generator needs to be able to track EXP's and such as well as just the initial character creation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 2:41 am 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Yes, there should be a way to track, record and print out sheets as your character progresses (and loses limbs!). At this point, I would think that would be the simpler part of the project, so shouldn't be too much of a problem. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 3:57 pm 
Tai-sho
Tai-sho

Quote:
On 2001-11-09 22:41, Rick Raisley wrote:
Yes, there should be a way to track, record and print out sheets as your character progresses (and loses limbs!). At this point, I would think that would be the simpler part of the project, so shouldn't be too much of a problem. :wink:
If so a progression monitor might be nice to show how old he is, what limbs he lost---I just loved that one ,Rick--,how many seneriors hes played, etc. Something put off to the side like the hit tables in HMPro so we don't get our nice new crisp MW character sheets mixed up with our not-so-crisp sheets from previous games. Something as simple as:

mod1
mod2
mod3

would be enough, but Im sure you already have something better than that planned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 10:04 pm 
Lieutenant, SG
Lieutenant, SG

Why don't you just include that in a "note" section or something? Would be the easiest thing to do and we really should think about make things a wee bit easier for Rick. :smile:

Although, now that you mention it, may have something in the "Condition" box that has like a little check box that you can check that has a note next to it that says "Artifical/Natural: __ Type: __". Maybe something for the eyes as well...Or, if there's not enough room on the monitor, smush it in in someother area.

::looks back on the post, trys to remember if he said something about making life easier on Rick. Then shrugs, figuring it was a figment of his imagination::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 1:08 am 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Yes, age will be part of it. Figure you'll input the birth (or tube opening) date for the character, then as he/she progresses, the age and date will progress as well. I intend to have a way to record /all/ happenings, campaigns, kills, education, experience, training, wounds, skills, medals, ranks, whatever. They may not all appear on the record sheet, depending on room, but if not, there should be another bio for the character that will give his/her complete history. Geez, it's easy to think up these things, when you don't have to program them! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 1:31 am 
C.O., 1st Kilted
C.O., 1st Kilted

Quote:
On 2001-11-11 21:08, Rick Raisley wrote:
Geez, it's easy to think up these things, when you don't have to program them! :wink:
Happy to be of service, sir! :grin:

Teemo

"Three Shall be the Number of The Counting; And the Number of The Counting Shall be Three "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 3:43 am 
Kommandant-General Loki
Kommandant-General Loki

What about putting in premade characters. My players have been playing thier characters for over a year now.

I understand with the God mode, well be able to input anything. But they might not want to be walking around with what looks like a bunch of munchkin characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 6:00 am 
Loki
Loki

I would assume they would just recreate the the original rolls to make the character, and then add the other information in....:grin:

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:01 pm 
Tai-sho
Tai-sho

A drop-down list of all the various ranks for the various factions would be very helpful for character advancement, so somebody doesn' unintentionally skip a rank in there progression. A list of available medals and commendations would also be nice! The same for equipment, bionic parts and such should be there too I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:59 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Ummm...[gulps]....what about NPCs? As in, a function to choose maybe the occupation only and go with whatever the e-dice roll?

[ducks for cover]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:01 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

The reason I ask is this would be nice for running and tracking all personnel in a unit, without spending a great deal of time creating each.

Would be easy to then add vital info to any future HM Campaign prog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 7:41 am 
Loki
Loki

yes.....a quicker method of doing it is in the works as well....hehehe

well...in the thoughts anyways....:grin:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2001 8:24 pm 
Major General
Major General

So that is the smell, thinking again are we.

Pain heals, Chicks dig scars but GLORY lasts forever!!!!!!!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 7:24 am 
Lieutenant, SG
Lieutenant, SG

Rick, IIRC, one of your other posts said you were going to have a weapons section and such for the character sheet. Are you going to design it as a drop down menu like the armour selection in HM Pro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 12:15 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

More like the weapon listing in HMPro, I would think. Except it probably won't have all that information in it. One thing I'd like to do with HMWarrior is depart from the traditional HMPro look and have it look more like a log book. More graphics, less clutter. With a page for history, a page for rank progression, a page for medals and awards. And as you're designing a character, the choices will be shown on the left side of the page, and the details on the right. After the character is designed, it should, hopefully, read like a log book of the character's history, education and experience.

At least that's what I've been thinking /prior/ to any actual work on it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 12:28 pm 
Lieutenant, SG
Lieutenant, SG

Hehehehe Sounds good to me...I was just curious as to how the weapons and such would work as well as armour and exp and c-bills. ::Grins as the list grows::

And, it's nice to know that YOUR sheets will have a place to put how much cash my character has on them. We got through character creation and were ready to play when my group choursed with "Where do we put our C-bills."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 11:42 am 
Major General
Major General

If possible and the sheet goes to two pages can we have the ability to print one side then print the other? Just a though. Like to have sheets together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 2:26 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

If the sheets go to two pages, I'll have the option on the print screen of printing one, holding, then printing the other, or printing both together. That should also satisfy those with two-sided printers like the HM990.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 9:48 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Digging through my old files I came across some of my old BT floorplans :grin:

Something more to add to HMM? A Map generator? (sneaks off and waits for Rick to start screaming).

Hmmmm.... I wonder if I shold tidy these things up some and get them into electronic form... Dropship plans are always fun to have...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 9:51 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

A floorplan generator sounds suspiciously like a CAD (Computer Aided Drawing/Design/Drafting) program. I think it's been done. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 10:09 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

HeavyMetal CAD!

There is always room for another HeavyMetal program :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2001 10:03 pm 
Kommandant-General Loki
Kommandant-General Loki

Mac, is a genius. as he has stated. Can never get enough Heavy Metal Programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 3:49 pm 
Major General
Major General

THanks, I don't mind battling in the rain forest and burning it down, just hate cutting it down for all the extra sheets. We use Campain Cartographer, City Designer2 and Dungeon designer to make our maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 6:49 am 
Kommandant
Kommandant

Location: Austin, Texas, on assignment from the Skye Republic
As far as the 'edition' of character sheet and separating the new sheet from the old sheet goes, that would probably be best served by a blank for a date. Could be BT date, could be actual date, either would probably serve the function.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 8:22 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Going to need an entry to track Glory for Clan characters (see MW Guide to the Clans).

- Just another complication...

Rick - if you don't have this book I may be able to help out as I have a spare (don't ask)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 12:58 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
On 2001-11-26 04:22, MacAttack wrote:
Rick - if you don't have this book I may be able to help out as I have a spare (don't ask)...
Thanks, but I do have MechWarrior's Guide to the Clans. Don't recall the Glory part, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 1:29 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

An extra attribute that was added to make Clan characters "work".

Better than the MW2 idea of stripping Edge from the character for actions such as breaking a bid during a trial.

Some of the life-path results can increase the Glory attribute (apparently - have to read through them again).

Rank and possession of a Bloodname can modify the Glory attribute too.

As it is something that was added with the book - perhaps it needs to be an option that can be turned off (so people without the guide and the rules are not confused when it pops up on their characters).

As if you are not going to have sufficient fun getting other things to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:26 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

My mistake - Glory is recorded as just another Trait - though it is only aquired by Clan characters...

Guess it can be treated like all the others (though it is one that will change often in play).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 12:52 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Isn't it funny that only the Clans get (personal) Glory? I would have thought a Tubie would disdain personal glory, striving possibly for the greater glory of the Clan, but in particular for Clan victory, and not have a thought towards personal Glory. Now a Spheroid might/would consider glory very highly. But then that is all just my take on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 1:10 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes - it is interesting that while the CLan system promotes "the good of the Clan above all things, the Bloodname/Breeding program has all the Trueborn pursuing a "Me! Me! Me" agenda.

But then - nobody accused the Clans as FASA created them of beign a system that is coherant or viable enough to survive even 50 years (let-alone over two centuries).

The "Reputation" thing introduced in the MW Guide to Solaris is somewhat like Glory - but not quite...

Can't help thing that a single unified attribure/trait is needed...

Perhaps in the 4th edition (if there ever is one).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 5:18 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Quote:
On 2001-11-27 09:10, MacAttack wrote:
Perhaps in the 4th edition (if there ever is one).
With my luck, there will be. And it will come out just before HMWarrior! :razz:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 7:21 am 
Loki
Loki

:lol:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:31 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Guess you need to work faster then :razz:

We obviously have to pursuade Rick's relatives that there is nothing more important than to have him working on these projects.

They can see him next Christmass (or perhaps the one after thant...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 1:33 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

I already cancelled our trip to Florida to see them at Christmas, but it may be hard to tell them I can't come out of my den when they come to visit me here! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:13 am 
Major General
Major General

I can send you a star of elementals to help in that cause but they are not responsibile for any damages. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:49 am 
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Quote:
On 2001-11-26 09:29, MacAttack wrote:

As it is something that was added with the book - perhaps it needs to be an option that can be turned off (so people without the guide and the rules are not confused when it pops up on their characters).
Maybe have something like in HMVee, where you could select to have Tac Handbook, MFUK, etc.. weapons, except with FMs, etc... and only allow the paths out of them? (Except in God Mode I guess)

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 1:12 am 
MechMeister
MechMeister

Maybe at the first, starting screen (in designing a character), have all the various life paths available, along with their sources, in a listing. Basically an Open screen, as it makes sense to have each of these in its own file. Once you've chosen the basic path, like Draconis Combine, or whatever, other options would open up, according to that path.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 6:45 am 
Loki
Loki

that sounds like a good idea to me....just as long as we have the capability to override and get all choices....I've run into problems getting some stuff to work...especially with more...odd characters...hehehe

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 9:32 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Until Rick tries it - I am not clear on how easy it will be to include the "Life Path" jump.

That is the rule where rather than proceeding from one stage of the life-path to another of the listed options, you can sacrifice a point of Edge (well the threshold level) to jump to any one of the life paths for the next stage (proided the GM OKs it).

For example - a Street Kid getting into a Military Academy (not possible normally - but perhaps he won a scollarship or something).

Can't have a Freeborn enter a Truborn life-path though (well, then again - Phelan Kell did - kind of...).

I am still trying to think of how it can be presented...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:37 pm 
MechMeister
MechMeister

It won't be easy, but I think life path jumps within a given life path won't be a problem. :wink: But not from one life path to another, as you say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:23 am 
Loki
Loki

"All" it would take a click box that disengages the life path checking so all life paths are allowed.....:grin:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 8:27 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

For "God Mode" Yes, but the "lifepath hop-n-skip" is part of the standard character generation process once you are <i>in</i> a ln the process of generating a character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 8:32 am 
Loki
Loki

Well....I know what mode I'll turn on at first.....:grin:

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 1:13 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Now why am I reminded of the episode of Star Trek where the Klingon described Kirk as...

"A swaggering, tin-plated dictator with delusions of God-hood"

Come to think of it... that description fits most of the Klingon Officers from TNG, DS9 etc. etc. etc....

Perhaps the Kingon was being polite?

Ahhh... a universe where "Continuity" drools (sic).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 5:06 am 
General Nuisance
General Nuisance

Quote:
On 2001-11-09 15:46, Rick Raisley wrote:
Yes, I obviously haven't gotten very far in design, but I figure there will be a number of "modes" that you will be able to design a character in, all using the same life paths (I would hope). Normal or official mode would be right by the book. You select the path, the program rolls the dice for you and gives you the results, then you continue to the next step. No backing up, no re-rolling. Then a mode that allows X number of re-rolls, allowing you to retry certain events you don't like. Then the God or GM mode, where you choose from all selections, making up the character as you see fit. The mode should print on the design and record sheets, so people know how you made it.

Anyhow, that's the idea that's been in the back of my little mind for quite a while. I'll have to see how it works in practice. :wink:
There was a D&D freeware that ran the same way, I think I can find the name of it if it can help! There may even be a copy of it laying around one of my friends houses!Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 5:25 am 
General Nuisance
General Nuisance

Quote:
On 2001-11-29 05:32, MacAttack wrote:
Can't have a Freeborn enter a Truborn life-path though (well, then again - Phelan Kell did - kind of...).

I am still trying to think of how it can be presented...
Yes but Phelan is a Trueborn! It is in the Preface of one of the books! Jamie Wolf & Natasha are discussing the use of the genetics technology for Jamies friend Morgan Kell and his wife, because they can't have kids. And then there was Phelan!!Image