Welcome to the HeavyMetalPro Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Supernatural Storylines
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:53 am 
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Maybe a goofy question, but is there anyone else out there that throws a little (or a lot) of supernatural storylines into a campaign? I use ghosts, vampires, lycanthropes, semi-sentient native species, etc. to get my player's hairs standing up. It seems logical to me that in a universe where ther are no other sentient races, there are things out there that go "bump" in the night. I'd love to hear from other GM's that have incorporated a few "spooks" into their plotlines. :evil: :alien: :angry: :shocked: :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:00 pm 
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

(hears crickets chirping.........)

Hookay..........

I Guess not. :embarrased:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:16 pm 
Loki
Loki

Grey's Shadow did. But he is off in the Big E now and not having time to write stories.

"I'm gonna Tea Party like its 1776." - Medron Pryde
Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:15 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

I've got a couple of "mystery" plot twists in the "There I Was" and "Running with the Pride" stories but they are very subtle. I had a short story that I decided to edit from the "Footnote" story that I may put back in once I finish the final editing and conversion to pdf.

Medron -I'm about halfway through the edit and rewrite of the "Travels with Uncle Ahmed" novel (250+ pages with additional chapters and background information). All edited to novel format. I hope to have it done before November, depending on my schedule.

I'll keep you informed.

MB

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:37 pm 
Loki
Loki

Sounds good dude.

I'll happily post it when it is done. :-)

Who is John Galt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:29 am 
Captain
Captain

The unexplainable is always fun to mess with players.

But mostly, I try to keep it what I consider reasonable. IE, something that could have plausible scientific explanations. Derelicts/SL facilities thought to be haunted, legendary "ghost 'Mechs" that may appear on the field...

As a firm believer in some supernatural things, I have no trouble with certain topics, but not all of my players share those beliefs, so I account for that.

Letting someone play X-Files and try to debunk your weirdness is good for roleplaying though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:58 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Quote:
The unexplainable is always fun to mess with players.

But mostly, I try to keep it what I consider reasonable. IE, something that could have plausible scientific explanations. Derelicts/SL facilities thought to be haunted, legendary "ghost 'Mechs" that may appear on the field...

As a firm believer in some supernatural things, I have no trouble with certain topics, but not all of my players share those beliefs, so I account for that.

Letting someone play X-Files and try to debunk your weirdness is good for roleplaying though.
Throw a ghost mech/story into the Crowley Crusaders series - Haunted Dropship maybe?

Wu zuizhe bu yong pa!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:51 am 
Captain
Captain

Stories tell themselves. When they're actually speaking to you. Whether or not I can include something like that is out of my control entirely .

Writers know what I'm talking about.

Non-writers are probably scratching their heads and going "But aren't you writing the damned thing?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:33 am 
General Loose Cannon
General Loose Cannon

When you start to write a story the characters will develope a life of their own. You start out with a basic idea and all of a sudden it seems as if the characters start to tell YOU what they are going to do . Tunnel Rat is a good example of that. When I first convieved "Battlcarp Tide of Darkness" all she was supposed to do was tell Rick Raisley he had to see the "Wizard of Brightmoor" and that was it she was not even supposed to actualy come to the Scrap Yard. Well every time I turned around she seemed to be showing up and doing things. ( I understand the RL Tunnel Rat I based the character on is like that.) I never expected when I first started the story that she would end up in a mech.. On the other hand I expected Nightengale to become a major character and instead she has just about dropped from sight. I have been writing other stories on another site and the same thing happens. The characters tell you what they are doing.

Force of nature : ;):
[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/flag-us.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/ ... chigan.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:01 am 
Loki
Loki

Yup...I write stories on BattleCorps (not FOR BattleCorps but ON it) and have the same thing happening there.

Well, every time I've written a certain set of characters for a while they start taking over and telling me what will happen. At BC, I ended up writing something that I'd purposefully gone AGAINST for a long long time. But the characters didn't agree with me. :-)

Most people like it when characters become that real as it makes for better stories to read. For me, it actually becomes easier to write a story when the character is that rich because often I'm just along for the ride, finding out what happens as time comes to it.

Though at one board I no longer frequent, that actually got me in trouble. Somebody told me that my characters WERE going to do something. Something that was totally against the character of those characters. And if I didn't do it THEY would write it FOR me. I left that game rather than write the characters against their character or play them after they had been so badly mangled, and the person in question has never talked to me again. It's a shame really, but every character I write has a part of me in them. And if someone has no respect for a character I write, then they have no respect for at least part of me.

From my perspective, a writer owes it to the characters, and to him or herself since they are a part of him or her, to be true to the characters. Since, when a writer is true to the characters, they are true to themselves. If that makes any sense....hehehe

;-)

Who is John Galt?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:34 pm 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

I have written a few CBT ghost stories for Halloween (well, they're actually more like "CBT meets H.P. Lovecraft" stories).

One of my Concrete Dragons episodes (#13?) is a ghost story.

A couple of my Veiled Republic stories have some supernatural hints.

A few of my stories (like "Pirate's Mercy") are straight up horror tales.

You can find them all in the fan fic section...just go searching for my name.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:18 pm 
Major General
Major General

I had a player who thought it would be funny so he bought red contacts and fake vampire teeth and waited until a kuritian girl in unit was almost asleep and then jumped her hoping to scare her. She paniced and dam near killed him with her sword. The group was laughing so hard he almost died due to no one doing first aid on him.

Pain heals, Chicks dig scars but GLORY lasts forever!!!!!!!

[img]http://www.heavymetalpro.com/countries/mil-army.gif[/img]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:18 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Medron -I'm about halfway through the edit and rewrite of the "Travels with Uncle Ahmed" novel (250+ pages with additional chapters and background information). All edited to novel format. I hope to have it done before November, depending on my schedule.
How did it turn out?

[i]You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.[/i]

[url=http://www.mekwars.org][u]MekWars[/u][/url]

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:12 am 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
How did it turn out?
Unfortunately a series of mundane issues has taken higher priority. At the moment, current story lines are being delayed while other projects are on hold. That's the way it is.

[i]And Allah turned back the unbelievers in their rage; they did not obtain any advantage, and Allah sufficed the believers in fighting; and Allah is Strong, Mighty.[/i] from The Koran, 33rd Sura- The Clans

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:49 am 
Kommandant-General Loki
Kommandant-General Loki

Ive done some alternate timeline stories with some elements of horror in them. Not so much the classic thing, but more of since the clans had most of thier genetic technology from the Star League, what could the SL have done. I had a hidden base, similar to Camelot Command, where some SL Soldiers had been genetically modified and had taken attributes of some monsters.

Theyre were SAS troopers who were modified in a way that made them similar to vampires, including the fact that they could only survive on a hemaglobin substitute. Intelligence agents with pheremones that were named Succubi/Incubi that ate raw meat due to their altered anatomy. Werewolves and Makos and others....Oh, My!

Ive also used the same premise in a few games. Made for players running around with wooden stakes, thanks to a character who actually had an in-game collection of old earth horror movies.

And yes, characters in stories always do what they want. Sometimes they beat you on the head and say "Hey, Im doin this anyways", and sometimes thier so subtle that you dont notice the change until later. But a good character will always have thier way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:37 am 
General Nuisance
General Nuisance

For a nice raise the hairs on the back of your neck story read Marauder over at BattleCorps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 am 
Antisocial General
Antisocial General

Here's a link to one of my own stories.

http://www.heavymetalpro.com/forums/vie ... 10&t=17560

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:05 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

Quote:
Theyre were SAS troopers who were modified in a way that made them similar to vampires, including the fact that they could only survive on a hemaglobin substitute. Intelligence agents with pheremones that were named Succubi/Incubi that ate raw meat due to their altered anatomy. Werewolves and Makos and others....Oh, My!
I've read (fantasy) novels where humans beat the crap out of tougher monsters than those... barehanded! And one nasty (human) assassin, who breaks swords with his hands and feet.

[i]You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.[/i]

[url=http://www.mekwars.org][u]MekWars[/u][/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:21 pm 
Commanding General
Commanding General

I'll mention that the last installment of Running With the Pride includes a touch of HP Lovecraft...